For those who have a shower,what you use / like.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

For those who have a shower,what you use / like.

Postby tcolar » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:29 am

I'm interested to know what kind of water heaters you are using : home made, electric, LP, tankless, with a tank, etc... and what you like and don't.

What models of water heater you would recommend(or not) and what kind of shower head (flow?) and pump used.

Living in cold climate, so "sun power" is out and it need to be able to raise the water temp by about 60 degrees.

Thanks.
tcolar
Teardrop Master

Re: For those who have a shower,what you use / like.

Postby StPatron » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:54 am

tcolar wrote:I'm interested to know what kind of water heaters you are using : home made, electric, LP, tankless, with a tank, etc... and what you like and don't.

I plan on using a solar shower, gravity drain, plumbed thru galley bulkhead and into shower area. If the water isn't hot enough, I'll heat up some on the burner and adjust temp. KISS principle.

If later on down the line I'm not satisfied with that, I'll rig a pump to a water container and draw from it. Again, adjusting temp with heated water added to the container.

While at home I enjoy a high pressure, skin-reddening blast. I'll make a few sacrifices in order to be able to camp.

I've recently updated my build thread with shower, drain and shower pan info. Click below and look at page 7 if you're interested.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby michaelwpayton » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:50 am

Check out this thread... for some interesting thoughts re hot water.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... highlight=
-Michael

"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"
michaelwpayton
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:00 am

I have the Cabelas privacy shelter and two solar bags. I just purchased a portable shower from Big Kahuna

http://bigkahunashowers.com/

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
emiller
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:05 am

A rather ingenuious scout leader had an open loop hot (warm) water system made that was a new small garbage can with a fitting near the bottom for 3/4 inch copper tubing. This tube ran from the can into the campfire where it was heated and perculated back into the can. This hot water was used for K.P. mostly but could be pumped off and used for a shower.

I have set up with 50 foot of black 3/4 tubing and after warming in the sun would offer about 13 gallons of damn near too hot water for a shower. To utilize too hot of water use an adjustable shower head and place it in a fine mist. The small droplets cool quickly in the air and hold little risk of scalding you.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby stumphugger » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:43 am

I live in the same climate. After a lot of pondering, and coming home after a hard day's work to no power one day-- I'm on a well here, I bought a battery powered shower hose at Cabela's. I plan to heat water on the stove, pour it in a 5 gallon bucket, put the hose in, and shower away. If I'm on the hot side of the mountains, or here in weather like now, I'll use my sun shower bags to heat the water.

The battery shower head is pretty wimpy, but so are the other alternatives. It's better than nothing.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby cuyeda » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:06 pm

I can't say that I have one of these yet, but is on my planned list of items wanted in the future. What I like about this unit is that it does not require batteries.

ImageImage
ImageImage

However, I may go with this one instead, double duty, general use in the galley, and portable enough for a shower hook up. Hopefully solar charging for any battery tending needs.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:07 pm

I have a homemade version of the Zodi extreme tank heater like this http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodiextremeshower.html . And shown above in the previous post. But I am cheap so I made my own for 1/2 price. I purchased a steel tank sprayer for $60 online, removed the handle and attached a piece of clear tubing from the hardware store with hose clamp, then a solar shower sprayer at the other end I got for $1 at REI. Heat it up on the stovetop in just a few minutes, Hot shower! It also works great for washing dishes for a crowd and serves as an additional water storage container. You do have to pump it up several times to take a shower, but I like the idea it is not dependent on electricity or batteries. One tank will do two good showers or three really mini ones.

I have the outback version of the privacy shelter. http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=CH%20S100&sid=FROOGLE&EID=FRCH%20S100&bhcd2=1280077128 Sets up and takes down in about a minute. Warning, though, folding it up takes practice. Watch the online video and practice at home first! I have been very happy with this system and take it with me any time we are gone more than two days. Most campgrounds in the west don't have showers or electrical.

I have a solar shower, but have not been too happy with it, because as soon as it is not in the sun, it cools down rapidly and I am never in the right place at the right time.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:10 pm

cuyeda wrote:I can't say that I have one of these yet, but is on my planned list of items wanted in the future. What I like about this unit is that it does not require batteries.

I have certainly loved mine over the years. It took top honors from my other Zodi Hot Water Heater as soon as I got it. Portable and no electric pump necessary. :thumbsup:

Scott

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

RE: Portable shower from Big Kahuna

Postby Kathy53 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Please let me know how happy you are with this after you have had a chance to try it out. I have been thinking about buying this also.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby nevadatear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 am

I will try to get a photo up today. I purchased the tank new. I don't remember where, I will try to figure out. I did a google search for "steel tank sprayer" and went with the cheapest one. Was about $60 a year ago or so.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:26 am

I have a 5 gallon bucket (was new metal "paint" bucket) with a piece of 1/8 pipe brazed in to base for a kitchen sink sprayer ( you know that hose next faucet the never seems to be used) .... I hang bucket it tree, and heat water in metal bucket either on camp stove or on camp fire and pour it into 5 gallon bucket, then temper it with cold water, usually have about 4 gallons of water enough for two people to wet down soap down, rinse down.... Usually I am out camping in more primitive camps but for privacy I use some black poly sheeting "clotheslined" to some trees for a shelter ( wife appreciates that) ......

Bucket could also set on TD roof and a privacy "screen" could be a hoop of metal tubing and opaque shower curtain....

Also found that a large plastic pan (bus tub from restaurant supply) to stand in, helps keep water for rinsing wash cloth and made a "duck board" to stand on when stepping out to dry off...

Duck board "nests" in plastic pan, next goes in is shower bucket, next is metal bucket (for heating water) next goes in Coleman lantern... Takes minimal space....

Think next version will be metal "sprayer tank" with kitchen sprayer hose and valve ... Not really keen on heating sprayer tank over flame but pressurizing sprayer vs. poring water in bucket hanging in tree has advantage.... Only issue is with sprayer tank is size vs cost and a large enough one (5 gallon) may not be available (really have not looked)...

EDIT TO ADD... Sprayer contraption could also be used for rinsing dinner dishes after washing....

ANOTHER EDIT TO ADD: This is what I consider to be ideal hose because of threaded fitting and on/off valve in spray head.... And its a general "hardware store" item....

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Here are the photos of my homemade water heater Zodi extreme knock off. The name of the tank is worn off, and I don't remember it. I think it is 3 gallon. I did see a Gilmore red steel one online for $48. Don't forget to take the plastic pumper lid off before heating!

ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:27 pm

nevadatear wrote:Here are the photos of my homemade water heater Zodi extreme knock off. The name of the tank is worn off, and I don't remember it. I think it is 3 gallon. I did see a Gilmore red steel one online for $48. Don't forget to take the plastic pumper lid off before heating!

:shock: Holy Cow... well done! I've seen things referred to as knock offs that really shouldn't be because they aren't even close to what they are trying to copy. But you are dead on! Quality job there Nevadatear. :applause: :thumbsup:

Scott

P.s. I recognize that REI nozzle. I replaced the Zodi Extreme nozzle with one because I like having shut off capability with just a twist of the nozzle when using.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:31 pm

What are you using for heating? Do you have a cylinder shape tripod for your propane or do you just put it on a gas stove burner?
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion