The Monstero Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Monstero Build

Postby nevadatear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:43 pm

I finally organized the pics in an online album, it's is old-from 2008 through spring of this year. But for those interested during winter doldrums, here is the link. Oh, and no that is not our shop, but belongs to our friends, and yes, it is huge and it is was a fabulous place to build.
http://picasaweb.google.com/deborahpontius/Teardrop02?authkey=Gv1sRgCLS1-dWD8oqjPQ&feat=directlink
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Nice Build...

Postby down under tech » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi Debbie & Randy. I just looked through your build process. It shows the great efforts you went through to make a TD that is truly "YOURS". I like the use of the cherry wood as an accent color to the lighter wood. You are making me jealous that I have not finished my TD yet. That is why I take a lot of pictures as I go along on my build of the "Silver Nugget". Terry and I would like to come and see your TD soon if weather allows. I'm sure we can talk Pam M. into coming too.
It is nice to see the process as you built the TD. :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Hey, Johnny we would love to have you'all come out and visit! Just let us know when. We are planning a vacation from dec 26th thru the 3rd, but otherwise, except for the occasional trip to Reno, we are usually home.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby ERV » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:06 pm

Randy & Debbie
Very nice! And that was an awesome spot you had there to work in. It looks like you both had a good time working together.
One question on the build, What is the green stuff on the front of the tear? In some pics it looks like it has wrinkles in it and in others it looks smooth .
You did some nice work on the galley too.
Very very nice. :thumbsup:
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks Erv and Jan, The green stuff is fabric, so indeed sometimes there is wrinkles! :) . It is a canvas fabric that snaps on and off to protect the wood while traveling. If you look close, you may be able to see the snaps. It is the same idea as on Doug Hodder's builds. Nice to hear from an Ohioian. Randy is from Hartville. OH---IO!

Thanks for the compliments. We do love our trailer. Hope to bring it back to Ohio to visit the family in Hartville soon.
Debbie
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby ERV » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Debbie, Been here 59 years, ha. Love it so far. We are about an hour north of Hartville. Go down to the flea market once in awhile, but most of the time it is to crowded for us.
You going to bring the trailer with you ?
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Wow Debbie, it is so great to see Monstero's build journal. The pictures only hint to your wonderful craftsmanship. He's so much more impressive in person. :applause: I can't wait to see all the new additions.

I can see a day in the future when all of the northern Nevadan Teardrops will be able to have a camp out!

All the Best, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Erv, of course (someday)! We come back about once a year (fly) as it is, but it is always for a short visit. When we have more time, we will bring the tear. Work keeps getting in the way. :thumbdown: Randy's mom lives just up the road (towards town) from the flea market a stone's throw off 619. They stay home on flea market days! His family owned quail hollow state park before it became a park. They are in about 7th generation in Hartville, 5 generations of Lake High graduates.

Dave, thanks for the kind words. I look forward to the N. NV teardrop gathering too. Of course, that would mean you had a teardrop! :rofl: Yup, there is always stuff that gets in the way. Maybe when the weather warms up! Just poking at ya, Dave!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:02 am

can you say NICE?

ol' pete
near Dayton, Ohio
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:27 am

Thank you, thank you! :ilovecamp:
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:23 pm

This economy has delayed our build for too long. I can't wait to make sawdust! I'm hoping we'll get the chassis before years end then start this winter. :thumbsup: Looking through build journals like yours and Johnny's keeps my enthusiasm going and spirits high.

Thanks again, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:28 pm

If we had waited until we could afford to build one we would still be without one.

I will admit I could have done a lot better with a much larger budget but I don' t think we would have had 30 cents more fun.

:thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby DMcCam » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Bob, actually the economy has influenced my build more from a supplier standpoint right now. I'm not a metal fabricator or welder but one of my friends has a company that is. We are doing a little bartering artwork for chassis fabrication. His business is picking up so the timing looks better now. Once we have the chassis I can start the construction. :woohoo:

In the mean time I'm finalizing my working plans.

Best, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Hartville

Postby albion2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:41 pm

nevadatear wrote:Thanks Erv and Jan, The green stuff is fabric, so indeed sometimes there is wrinkles! :) . It is a canvas fabric that snaps on and off to protect the wood while traveling. If you look close, you may be able to see the snaps. It is the same idea as on Doug Hodder's builds. Nice to hear from an Ohioian. Randy is from Hartville. OH---IO!

Thanks for the compliments. We do love our trailer. Hope to bring it back to Ohio to visit the family in Hartville soon.
Debbie
I bought our first popup from Hartville Paid $2900 for it new in 1986 took it to Utah,Maine ,all down the east coast as far as Key West.Sold it for $1500 in trade for a Hybrid trailer.Wish I still had that Starcraft popup,so the grown up kids could use it.Especially when I see what dealers want for some old beat up trailers.
albion2
Teardrop Builder

Re: The Monstero Build

Postby sdakotadoug » Fri May 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Debbie and Randy, I'm jealous, great work, also great documentation, Thanks for sharing. Doug
sdakotadoug
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals