Cubistic

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Cubistic

Postby TD Beej » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:49 am

Trying to simplify my plans to at least get something going. Basically this is my Post Modernaire redone using a flat frame, torsion axles, and flat panels.

ImageImage
ImageImage
We have 4 kids and cover a lot of ground when we travel so having a ready galley and a minimum of setup in general is a big part of the goal.
And of course flexibility dealing with whatever might arise.

The inside has enough room to be configured as either two levels of queen size space with more space under the bottom bed for storage, or as table and benches. Presumably the kids would want to sleep in tents and the van would also be available to sleeping in during bad conditions.

The front window pivots forward and up, the top window and allows more headroom when sitting.
The sunroof opens fully to allow easy access to the up bunk.
The doors on sides open upwards to provide protection from sun or rain and have windows above and below the beltline.

Though on the large end, size should be small enough to fit in the slipstream of the Caravan.

The Galley is a clamshell provide greater storage and minimal setup to get to meal preparation. With the folding panels it will provide additional work space when flat or wind and weather protection when up.

I am thinking that at the first try with this I will build sides out of 1/4 or 3/8th with struts, spars etc. when needed for additional strength or anchorage, and no insulation. To fasten on the clamshells welding a vertical bar with triangulation support to mount the hinges too.

The exterior fiberglassed to seal water out and then covered in aluminum.

Any thoughts, should I take a smaller first step, change something, am I missing something I should pay attention too...

Thanks, Beej
Last edited by TD Beej on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

RE: Flat Panels

Postby mezmo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:48 am

Hi TD Beej,

I always thought using flat panels to approximate a curved
shape would be an interesting design attempt.

If you go with the flat panels, why not revamp the name too?
From 'Post Modernaire' to something like:

"Facets"

"Facet-nating" "Facet-ating"

"Facet-action"

"Facet-nation" "Facet-ation"

"TD Facet-nation" "TD Facet-ation" "TD Facet-action"

"Facet-nating TD" "Facet-ating TD"

[I'll stop now on that! Ha!]

I'd consider the flat panels to be facets on a "jewel" of a TD!

[Insert - "groan" here.]

Also, why not out check out Bob Henry's galley on his "Chubby" TD.
I think it's a really innovative build and it's galley is very spacious
and it may offer ideas for simplifying construction on yours.
It may be easier or simpler to do just the hatch and then have the
counters swing out like in the Chubby, than a side to side clamshell
opening in the lower back - just thinking that may need really expensive
hinges or be hard to keep aligned and weather sealed. [Not criticizing your
design, just thinking of possible potential problems.]

I'm sure Bob Henry's generous spirit won't mind me reposting
these pics from his album.

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

Good luck on your start.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TD Beej » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks Norm/Mezmo,

I seem to gravitate to the art movement type names so I've been thinking more along the lines of Cubism, Cubist, Cubistic,... Cubinaire sounds to much like a cigar. At least I've haven't ventured into Dadaism (yet). I like your facet idea, the best was "Facet-nating" and it is tempting...

I've seen the pics of Bob Henry's Chubby, and I am thinking along the same lines. Swing out Galley, view out the top, but I am also taking ideas from the square tears, Modern/cub, the 2+2, aerodynamics from the Boxfish, and probably others I am not recalling at the moment. And there are things I am leaving out to try and streamline the build, a modern suspension, smooth curves, SIP, space frame, ABS,... and many more things that will have to wait until the next go round. My wife is telling me to get it done and so I am re-ordering the priorities to what I can accomplish quickly.

I understand what you are saying about the hinges and weather sealing (Seattle) however if I put the hinges on the outside of the weather seals I should be OK, and if worse comes to worse massive door hinges will work if I can't find a continous hinge beefy enough. My biggest concern with weather sealing isn't actually the hinges but the hatch rain channel when it meets the clamshells. And along the moister line, how to seal the panes well enough to prevent delimitation and or warping. Just part of the fun of sorting the design.

Thanks,
Beej
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Postby mezmo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:55 am

Hi Beej,

You're Welcome.

'Just another thought on the sealing issue:
Have you thought about taking the approach of
having an internal gutter surrounding the hatch
& clam shell [if you go that way] openings?
It'd be analogous to a car's trunk opening and
the nominally "U" shaped gutter that surrounds
it. it may be a way to double gasket or weather
strip the opening or manage the water flow better.

There was a post on the forum a good while back
that showed such a set up on a hatch on a curved
back TD. It struck me as "The" way to weather/water
proof a hatch. It seems to me it'd make managing the
water flow much easier.

As it's said, probably easier said than done, but I'm
sure it wouldn't be that much extra effort and well worth
the results.

I tried searching for that old post but had no luck
finding it. Maybe the author will see this and direct you
to it.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:37 am

mezmo wrote:There was a post on the forum a good while back
that showed such a set up on a hatch on a curved
back TD. It struck me as "The" way to weather/water
proof a hatch. It seems to me it'd make managing the
water flow much easier.

As it's said, probably easier said than done, but I'm
sure it wouldn't be that much extra effort and well worth
the results.

I tried searching for that old post but had no luck
finding it. Maybe the author will see this and direct you
to it.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

This the one........http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=39994&highlight=hatch+seal
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:44 am

Norm:

You and all are most welcome to anything in my album.

HOWEVER:

I think you missed the best picture of my Galley.

Stove top , toaster oven , redneck hot water heater (32 cup coffee maker) sink and ceramic tile drainboard. The wall acts as a large spice rack and dry storage (coffee sugar flour ect) on the left side and the right side has cups at the ready. The back wall is secured in transit by the flip up counter that locks in place to hold everything secure. There is pot and pan storage below the cooktop and 4 drawer utility storage below the drainboard for silverware and cooking utensils and the mandantory "junk" drawer!

Vickie loves her tiny "kitchen" and it functions very well. I truely can not think of a thing I would have done different.

Chubby was a very mode$t build with little extra cash available, we built on a modest budget of 800 - 900 dollars so for what we have I am most pleased.

The flip up flip out or gullwing / clamshell expansion ideas are all fantastic . If I can offer one thing let me just say "ICE DAM TAPE" This is the best stuff in the world. A soft plyable sticky as hell rubber tape that will totally eliminate any water intrusion if used competently in folding joints and hinged areas.

Good luck on the ideas and the build to come. Bob & Vickie Henry
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TD Beej » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:08 am

I am thinking of a channel along the lines of this for seals around opening.:

In this this drawing I have three gaskets because this if for the galley but doing just the two on either side of the V should suffice for the doors.

Thanks,
Beej
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Beej

I'm liking your design. I would suggest looking into building it as a "Foamie". Do you think that the rigid foam board would work? I think some framing would be done to support the doors, Hinges. But it would keep the cost way down and be pretty easy. Heck, I'm ready to start now.

Keep going with it, I'm excited to follow it!!!

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby TD Beej » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:08 am

@ BobHenry:
Ice dam tape for folded seams, sounds intriguing but how around hinges, isn't the tape adhesive on both sides?

@ John:
I am not very confident about going at it as a foamy, I just don't know enough but I could see building out a frame and filling in the panels with foam and glassing it. Or even doing it in pieces and bolting them together. I will ruminate on this. Even going with a stressed surface I would want to add extra support around opening and anchoring points.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I do appreciate it.

Beej
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:47 am

TD Beej wrote:@ BobHenry:
Ice dam tape for folded seams, sounds intriguing but how around hinges, isn't the tape adhesive on both sides?

Beej

7" wide and 25 or 50 foot rolls has a pull off seperation paper on ONE SIDE ONLY the otherside is a gloss finish soft rubber (generally with advertising :x )
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TD Beej » Sun May 15, 2011 11:05 pm

@ John: OK, you got me thinking, and reading the foamy thread, up to page 29 now but it seems to be getting longer as fast as I can read it. I was at the HD and looked at the foam and I think the stuff would make a super strong SIP using something like 1/8" luan. And if I go SIP I can skip using a framework and use glue and pocket screws to attach each panel together. I won't have to worry about warping or sagging with kids climbing over it... It will push out my build time line which I guess is OK, Now I just need to come up with a press method...
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Re: Cubistic

Postby Olympicknight » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 pm

TD Beej wrote:Trying to simplify my plans to at least get something going. Basically this is my Post Modernaire redone using a flat frame, torsion axles, and flat panels.

We have 4 kids and cover a lot of ground when we travel so having a ready galley and a minimum of setup in general is a big part of the goal.

Hi TD Beej, did you get a chance to complete this build? I also have two toddlers and I would like to build a tiny trailer with tandem axle. Thank you.
Olympicknight
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs