Frameless?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Frameless?

Postby Evan Gaffney » Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 am

Okay, please don't throw anything at me. I tried the search function, honest! I'm sure this is one of those topics with equally strong arguments on either side, but I'd like to hear them.

Does a teardrop trailer really need a full steel frame?

It seems to me like the natural strength of a wood framed shell that has been glued and screwed throughout would be more than enough to support the relatively small weight of two passengers plus some gear. A lot of these build journals look like instructions for how to build a bomb shelter. I'm thinking maybe just a 2"x3" tube tongue that runs all the way back to the axle with a couple diagonal pieces of angle for support and one piece of angle at the leading edge of the floor to distribute the load. Something like this? (this would be a 5x10 floor plan)

Let's hear it!
Evan Gaffney
Teardrop Builder

Re: Frameless?

Postby jstrubberg » Tue May 01, 2012 8:30 am

I think you're right, structurally.

I would go ahead and pay the small weight penalty and box the outside edge for two reasons. One, I tend to bump into stuff. I can use the extra protection. Two, I intend to mount a roof rack on my tear, so the outer wall becomes load bearing and I want that to transfer into a frame rail.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 01, 2012 8:45 am

The info is hiding in the design library....

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear57.htm
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jonw » Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 am

I didn't use a frame for my build and it's working out just fine. I used 3/4in. marine plywood for the floor which is waterproof and very structurally stiff and stable.

From my build journal here's a picture of the underside before the axle was attached (click to enlarge):

jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion