6.5' Popup Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

6.5' Popup Build

Postby myjeepcherokee » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:27 am

After nearly 10 years with our teardrop we finally decided to sell it move onto something with a few more creature comforts. After an exhaustive search over the last year looking at everything from popups to scamps I finally decided the only way to get what we are looking for is to build again. I got really used to pulling a small trailer and didn't want anything larger than our old 5x8 teardrop, so that pushed us in the direction of a popup. I was also looking for something lightweight that we could pull with not only our Toyota Tacoma, but also our Subaru Forester. In the course of our search we discovered the Livin Lite company and their line of small, lightweight pop campers sold under the Quick Silver line. We really liked the looks of the 6.0 (https://www.livinlite.com/6.0-overview.php) but didn't like the price tag given the basic amenities that it came with. I've started my build with a 5'x8' Alumnium Ultra Tow frame from Norther Tool, that I was able to purchase for $579 on sale plus free shipping - and instead of journaling the build progress in photo form like I did in the past I've switched over to video!

Part 1:

Part 2:
myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 6.5' Popup Build

Postby greygoos » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Nice work so far. Have you some plans you might show us before the actual build?
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby myjeepcherokee » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:28 pm

To be honest I'm just going off of a picture and whats in my head, being a cabinet maker by trade I'm used to people bringing a picture into my shop and asking me to "build it." As the factory builds them they are pretty basic trailers, I'm going to build in a few more creature comforts like a sink, cook top, porta potty, and a small entertainment area.

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:06 pm

Very well done videos. :thumbsup:

... and you are doing good work on the camper, too!

One thing I would keep in mind for next time is the way you did your floor frame long rail extensions. The simple butt joints are probably adequate given the composite structure of the floor, but if you had alternated the butt ends end for end (i.e. every other short piece to the front) it would have been a bit stronger with no penalty from having done so. With them all to the back it creates a potential hinge point. Yes it is a small nit, but when trying to build lightly it pays to take advantage of every trick there is.

I am looking forward to your next edition! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby myjeepcherokee » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:21 am

Made some more progress on the ultralight popup this week. I've left the outer walls open for wiring, then I'll full them with the same blue foam insulation that was used on the floor. I'm going to visit the local Metal by the Foot store later this week and pickup a piece of aluminium to skin the bump out on the front with.

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby myjeepcherokee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:16 am

Didn't make as much progress this week as I had hoped, this Midwest heat and humidity can sure slow a guy down! Hopefully I'll be able to test fit the top this weekend.

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby myjeepcherokee » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:08 pm

More progress this week, was finally able to test fit the top!

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flbikejunkie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flbikejunkie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Philip » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 pm

I am not seeing any of the video's. All its showing is black boxes.

What format are they in?
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby myjeepcherokee » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 am

Super excited tonight as I was able to get the exterior completed (minus the gray water hook-up)! I picked up a 100amp hour AGM battery this week for the electrical system so no need for an exterior battery box vent afterall. The exterior took much longer than I had anticipated, 12 weeks to be exact, but I'm extremely pleased with the results. I ended up using .032 aluminum sheeting for the siding as the vinyl didn't give the result I was looking for, too many small imperfections telegraphed through leaving an uneven finish. This week I'm going to start work on the cabinets, counter tops, and seating as so much depends on their layout. Hoping for a test run at the end of October!

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flbikejunkie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:10 pm

Nice job. What are you using for edge trim?

flbikejunkie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Great videos! Your build looks nice, can't wait to see the interior completed.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby myjeepcherokee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:05 am

flbikejunkie wrote:Nice job. What are you using for edge trim?

I'm using Trim-Lok PLGB-25 PVC, great stuff -has a 3/4" overlap on one side a 3/16" overlap on the other. It has a 3M adhesive tape on one side and I've successfully bent it around a 6" radius just by letting it heat in the sun for 5 mins. Runs about a dollar a foot, but well worth it in my opinion.

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby myjeepcherokee » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:44 pm

I finally feel like I can see the finish line! Spent most of last week working on the interior cabinets, counter top, and installing the sink. Tonight I'm going to install the carpet and vinyl flooring, and maybe talk myself into making the last drawer for the cabinets, but I hate making drawers! I've been stockpiling all my electrical and plumbing supplies so hopefully by next week I'll have lights and water.

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby myjeepcherokee » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:25 pm

Spent some time over the weekend working on the electrical system of the Popup, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Just like everything else on the project it took much longer than I had anticipated, but all connections are soldered and shrink wrapped, and I feel very confident in the longevity of the system. Next week I'm planning on having the plumbing system finished, then just some final details to wrap up. I'm hoping the weather holds out the first or second weekend of November for a trial run, I'd hate to have to winterize the camper and not use it until spring.

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals