Kampmasters????

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Kampmasters????

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:05 am

Ours are somewhat like a Kampmaster.

Now that I own a pop-top teardrop that has room to stand, I have a better appreciation for the merits of pure no-standing-room teardrop.
A pure classic small teardrop design ends up being a great sleeper, probably better than my pop-top. We can't have cabinetry above the foot end of the bed, that's where we stand and our back window is there.
When space is so hard to come by, losing even a little matters. In a classic teardrop you know exactly where the sleeping position is, and you can pack nice cabinets tightly nearby.

The 3 tiny travel trailer designs that have passed the test of time and are widely purchased are a pure no-standing teardrop with an outdoor galley; a little canned ham like a Shasta or Serro Scotty or a Scamp; or a classic folding tent trailer pop-up. There's a reason for that. Anything else, like ours, becomes a compromise that is neither fish nor foul -not a bigger roomy standy, and not a super small, tow-it-with-your-economy-car teardrop.

For ours, at least we don't have damp and musty canvas like a tent trailer or a Kampmaster. That was a big requirement for us.
But our compromise ends up being a taller and wider trailer to tow than a classic teardrop with less inside storage.

The Kampmaster seems the worst compromise to me. On a rainy weekend you'll be damp from the canvas side walls. It has small bed. It has no spacious outdoor galley.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:39 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:Ours are somewhat like a Kampmaster.

Your lift top is so cool! Believe we spoke about it before.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Oh yes! I came to this group to learn more about building my own. My ultimate design has a lift top so it can be a standie and have the amenities I want. I was getting heavy very quickly.. I wanted to know just how strong a Foamie could be. I see it can!

Here's my design on my next build:

Image Image
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:44 am

slowcowboy wrote:I am bu8ldung a kampmaster.i got tons of galley space and cabinets compared to my old 4 wide. .I dobt buy your aurgument.on lack of space...the beds a full double again I disagree on bed space and I can sleep cross wise not length of the trailer. Wyoming pretty much don't get rained out. And i am sure there is other ideas beside canvas walls..i have considered just plywood behind the cabentes,and enclosing the bed leaving the galley open much luke a normal tear...after 5 years into the build.i feel it will be a dream wagen compared to my old teardrop....just wandering is all....slow

Slow I apologize for raining on your parade. You've done your research and made your plans, while I am just some guy who's never seen a Kampmaster in person, shooting the breeze and making small talk. Be sure to give us photos so we can follow your build. All the best.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:04 am

Opps.. Didn't there was a trailer called Kampmaster.. My apologies. :oops:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:03 am

in Sept and October were its no longer appealing at 3 or 4 am to stand shivering...

Hey, Slow!

What are you doing up that early? You can't shoot until the sun's up. :thinking: :frightened: :shock: :?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:47 pm

I am always chaseing them fish with a fishing pole..slow..

I like it. :beer:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 pm

for those wondering what a Kampmaster is

These have been around for a long time the top one was made with US army tents from WWII ;)

i personally am making a trolley top teardrop trailer so I can get up to my knees inside. And have more light inside and have a place to disburse heat. computer fans will blow it out. :fan:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:For ours, at least we don't have damp and musty canvas like a tent trailer or a Kampmaster. That was a big requirement for us.
But our compromise ends up being a taller and wider trailer to tow than a classic teardrop with less inside storage.

The Kampmaster seems the worst compromise to me. On a rainy weekend you'll be damp from the canvas side walls. It has small bed. It has no spacious outdoor galley.

Try searching the forum for "Winter Warrior". There are "hard-sided" versions of a Kampmaster. Here is link to one built by Bill Livesey: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1239508#p1239508.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ae6black » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am

Slow, I really like the looks of the kampmaster, I think it would be easier to tow than my Casita, but probably not as practical in the long run for my camping purposes. I currently camp out of the Casita that I bought this year and my homemade td that I made about 8 years ago. Both have their advantages. I have to admit that for cold weather, I prefer the td. It is just so much easier to do all of your cooking outside with heavy winter clothes on. Besides when you have the small camper winterized, you lose the use of the shower and the potty. Still not having to do the teardrop shuffle at my advanced age is a plus in a winterized camper. I can simply put a porta potty in the bathroom and use that instead of the existing potty which would be winterized. With the small travel trailer you are always running in and out of the unit looking for a pot or some cooking utensils if you prefer cooking outside. Most Kampmasters don't have inside showers and at best have a porta potty. The small travel trailer with the solid sides that aren't going to sweat as much as canvas, has both of them. For me on a quick weekend trip, I think I favor the Teardrop. For extended camping, say a month long trip, with some bad weather for days on end, I prefer my little travel trailer with all of the amenities. IMHO, I don't think it matters what you are camping out of as long as you are using the great outdoors as your living room.

If I ever do get rid of my td, I think I am going to have to come up with some kind of camp kitchen that can be slid out of my truck and on to a pic nic table. For me that would perhaps be the best compromise in camping primarily out of a small travel trailer.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:16 am

Also, in Bear country, I think there are some places that won't let a Kampmaster in the gate along with pop ups. But to each their own, if you have it, if you like camping out of it, who cares what other people think. Just go camping.
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 pm

Slow, I think to answer your original question, your question had the answer. "When people get older", I think that is a big part of it. Getting older means you don't want to or aren't able to do as much work like setting up a pop top nit to mention building any kind of camper unfortunately so people turn to a store bought simply because they don't have it in them to do a complete build again. Me, I like to camp simple, I don't like alot of set up and I like hard walls for climate control, my last build was a tiny standy vintage trailer. Hard to turn down all this inside the same basic footprint with a 6x10 trailer instead of 5x10 tear and only 2 feet taller. It's not a big rig by any means and it still fits completely under my 10x10 easy up but now I am just showing off :)
Attachments
IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2977.JPG (345.35 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3041.JPG (118.23 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
IMG_E3009.JPG
IMG_E3009.JPG (281.52 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Modstock » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:14 pm

Dont worry Slow, we are all getting older.
I hit 40 last year and have been contemplating a lot of things.
1.) To not take on so many projects.
2.) Sometimes it's best to let another take it on and fork out the coin.
This is difficult for me to do.
3.) I rather spend more time playing, camping, ect than working.

Bottom line #3

This years goal is to sell the TD and get a bigger trailer. Something to stand and change clothes in, also more weather appropriate since it rained/snowed all week during our last trip.

I still have some projects in mind. Fixing up my old car, build another trailer, explore and play a lot.

BTW. I love the neons under that trailer.
Slow I'd like to see you get your trailer done. Keep us posted.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:43 pm

"Mrs Not Crazy"
You crack me up slow.

While planning my next build that thought had come to mind . What if "single" happens ?
Devil on my shoulder says, guess she's missing out on this awesome roomy trailer. As im cooking breakfast inside during a subzero blizzard.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion