Which Axle do you prefer?

Leaf Spring
30%
Torsion
70%

Total votes : 43

Axles: Leaf spring vs. Torsion

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:18 am

I'm looking at axles and I was wondering what the pros and cons are for each type. I like the low look for a dropped torsion type but it appears that you could easily put shocks on a leaf spring type.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:48 am

Torsion axles are simple,
have built in dampening
come in any width
are easy to install
easy to move
don't jump all over the road
trailer height is adjustable
Grant uses them
so does Cary

:D

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:09 am

On my next chassis I'm going to use the torsion axles. Just the small stub type.

This way I can replace them if I need too easy. Also I can carry spares for those time that I might need to if I broke one.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby DANL » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:03 am

Iv'e had utility trailers with both kinds and I'd have to say that the leaf trailer spent a lot of its time in the air whereas the torson trailer absorbed the shock and stayed on the road.

I have noticed that on badly frost-heaved concrete roads (not uncommon here in the arctic wastes) a disturbing bump frequency bounce can occur with either type. Speed alteration seems to be the only cure for that.

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a trailer with leaf springs as long as the spring was properly matched to the cargo weight. This seems to be less of a concern with torsion.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:08 am

Torsion seems to be a bit heavier (from my reading). And stubs require a strong frame rail.... lightweight trailers would have a tough time, and require some beefing up, to use stubs...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Bigwoods » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:54 am

So now we live in an artic waste land. Well that true. My wife went south to see a new grandchild. When see gets back she will see what 27 degrees did to her flower garden.

Didn't know how to tell her so I e-mailed a peom to her. Believe me, I never send her peoms.

Jack Frost paid a visit last night,
The flowers are stating to wilt,
The petals are not so bright,
I think a lotta plants were kilt.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby JamesW » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:49 pm

Bigwoods,

That's beautiful..... :-({|=
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:50 pm

Bigwoods wrote:Jack Frost paid a visit last night,
The flowers are stating to wilt,
The petals are not so bright,
I think a lotta plants were kilt.

Laughing... that's nifty! I just sent it to my father who is a green thumb. It'll get his attention for sure!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:00 pm

I'm thinking that I would use torsion axles for the next one, oops, did I say that?, Or to upgrade the stripper. I notice that the tires seem to do all the dampening. The slipper springs don't seem to deflect much, even with a loaded, heavily built Tear! :oops:
I used a 2000# setup.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Arne » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:05 pm

I have visited a few trailer sales lots, and I agree the springs are tough. Some have 3 leafs, wonder if one could be removed to get a decent ride.?

Problem I have is a torsion unit is another couple of hundred bucks ++ into an already $$ growing project.... maybe down the road, if it turns out I really... really... need it..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:15 pm

If you don't have the axle yet, go with the torsion. Yes, it's a little more money, but you wouldn't have to add gas shocks to it.

The only way to really make a leaf spring axle work right is to add gas shocks. Larry S. did that on his... you can see that here...
http://www.outbackteardrop.com/body8.html?

and his new 3500# axle here
http://www.outbackteardrop.com/body9.html?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JamesW » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:16 pm

What about adding a shock absorber like with the Outback? Would that help any?
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:58 pm

Bigwoods wrote:So now we live in an artic waste land. Well that true. My wife went south to see a new grandchild. When see gets back she will see what 27 degrees did to her flower garden.

27 degrees! It's still August, the most oppressively hot time of the year for us. We've had an unseasonably cool Summer, only hit triple digits a few times.

I don't have an axle yet but I was leaning towards the torsion type. I like the simplicity, the low profile, and the fact that they add rigidity to the trailer frame.

What kind of longevity do the rubber dampers have? Are they easily replaced?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:11 pm

I have put a tortion alxe on my teardrop. Now comes the questiom. How high should the fender be above the tire? I am thinking about 3" for a 1000# trailer. Comments?

Dan
Dan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woody » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:49 pm

mike,

Larry (Outback Tear) stated that the shock absorber was for the fact that driving in the desert roads with washboard surfaces his tear drop was all over the place when travling very fast on them. He also made the point that he changed his axle from a 2000# to a 3500# axle for durabilty.He points out that he concluded that the constant pounding of driving in the desert roads bent his axle that is why he upgraded the axle and added the shock absorber. Normal driving conditions on regular roads should not impact either type of axle. He made the case againist torsion axles by stating if the rubber dampener should fail the trailer would be stuck where it happen because of the lack of ground clearance due to the offsets in some cases. With solid axles and springs, if a spring should break you could still limp home or repair it by caring a extra spring. Some torsion axles are welded to the frame member which would be difficult for replacement in an emergency. I believe that there was a discusion on teardroptimes within the last two weeks where Larry stated this and Dave Natheson (sp) offered their advice on axles. Remember that these tear drop are designed for offroad use They both made valid points. Hope this helps

Woody
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next