Eastern Wisconsin campout

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby asianflava » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm

He flew a P-38, Putt Putt Maru. I figured that it was named after him, it's a pretty unique name. I don't think this is the original Putt Putt but I have this photo I took in Galveston. There are less than a dozen flying P-38s left, this is one of them.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby coreyjhen » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:08 pm

asianflava wrote:He flew a P-38, Putt Putt Maru. I figured that it was named after him, it's a pretty unique name. I don't think this is the original Putt Putt but I have this photo I took in Galveston. There are less than a dozen flying P-38s left, this is one of them.

Hate to contradict, but Dick Bong's airplane was named "Marge," after his wife. http://www.bongheritagecenter.org/p38/?trigger=about_us

If you ever get up to Superior, WI, check out the Bong WWII Heritage Center - you'll be glad you did.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:59 pm

coreyjhen wrote:Hate to contradict, but Dick Bong's airplane was named "Marge," after his wife. http://www.bongheritagecenter.org/p38/?trigger=about_us

I have no problems if someone contradicts me, especially when I'm wrong. :oops: That's what happens when you go by memory. As soon as I read "Marge" I knew that I was wrong.

I have to make careful selections when going to airplane museums. The wife can probably only tolerate a few more. :twisted:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby s4son » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:54 pm

asianflava wrote:
coreyjhen wrote:Hate to contradict, but Dick Bong's airplane was named "Marge," after his wife. http://www.bongheritagecenter.org/p38/?trigger=about_us

I have no problems if someone contradicts me, especially when I'm wrong. :oops: That's what happens when you go by memory. As soon as I read "Marge" I knew that I was wrong.

I have to make careful selections when going to airplane museums. The wife can probably only tolerate a few more. :twisted:

If you get the chance, go to the EAA museum in Oshkosh WI. It is very nicely done with a great selection of aircraft.

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/default.asp

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Claw » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Hey great history but I'm thinking a hijack is going on! a plane hijack? :lol:

We need to set a date as it sounds like we got some interest! My preference would be May4,5,6 or Earlier. Life gets kind of filled up after that. Mother's day is on May 13 then we are pushing Memorial Day after that.

But BrwBeir this I think is your call. You wanted some motivation and I think we all want to help in that regard. When do you think you'll have the TD roadworthy with a date open to camp?

As for the place, Bong is generating some comments, but I am good to go anywhere and will abstain from the campground choice, trusting the decision to those who have been there!
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:58 am

If any of you are in Oregon, check out the Evergreen Aviation Museum.
They have the Spruce Goose and a SR 71A Blackbird.
http://www.sprucegoose.org/
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby TLC » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:17 am

BRWBIER:
I'm thinking the same as Claw on this. The thread got skyjacked and I think I'm responsible for that. Sorry BRWBIER.
I'm retired, so whenever and where ever you want to go, I'll probably be there. It's your call.
One thing about Bong though. It's like all other State Parks.......tends to be filled up on the weekends. But, they do have an area just for groups.
Tom
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby elmo » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:31 am

TLC wrote:BRWBIER:
I'm thinking the same as Claw on this. The thread got skyjacked and I think I'm responsible for that. Sorry BRWBIER.
I'm retired, so whenever and where ever you want to go, I'll probably be there. It's your call.
One thing about Bong though. It's like all other State Parks.......tends to be filled up on the weekends. But, they do have an area just for groups.
Tom

Remember Bong is a ATV/motorcycle park...it doesn't bother me, but it can get a little loud at times and a little trafficey.(I don't know if trafficey is a word or not, but you know what I mean)
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:24 pm

The good times for me would be, May 12-13 19-20 or June 2-3 or after that also. The place doesn't matter, but I like the sound of Cliffside. Generly I'm open to most anything. I am more of an idea person than an orginizer, so if anyone would be up for that, it's OK with me.
The first weekend in May is National Homebrew Day and I have plans for that already. Or maybe I could brew a batch at the campground.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Claw » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:40 pm

My idea of organization for something like this would be set a date and location.
Then figure a potluck meal for Saturday night about a fire. Bring something to share but don't sweat it. Everything else is up for grabs. Set the expectations low with a focus on fun. BrwBier, getting a short course on beer making sounds fun to me but if life hassles you that week to the point where it is too much to pull off we all will have fun drinkin' the union made stuff or enjoy what other excitement might show up.

My chioce for a date with respect to the dates BrwBier put out there would be May 19-20.
:thumbsup:

Lets firm up a location, Cliffside sounds good to me if it is good for Brwbrier! Remember this is about getting BrwBier TD on the road. ;)

Here is another little organization helper for you BrwBrier: Make the hard decisions namely date and location then deligate the rest to someone else!! Or deligate it all! Now I know Tom and he admitted to being retired which means he has lots of time on his hands, unlike us working stiffs, so put him in charge of any other little detail that might pop up. Like coming up with a name for the gathering and posting a thread to get the word out with info on how to reserve a site if that is needed. :thumbsup:
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby Betsey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:04 pm

Hey! Could some of us from Western Wisconsin haul over your way and join you for the weekend? Sounds like it will be a great time! :thumbsup:

Betsey :)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Claw » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Betsey,
They haven't told me no and I'm from IL! :yes:

I still tell people about the great cobblers you made at the Camp Outt :thumbsup:
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby BrwBier » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:02 pm

Lets leave this out there for a little while and see if we get a consensus of dates. I think Cliffside would be the better choice because eastern Wisconsin is all about the lake. A theme, does a camp out need a theme? Now, national Home brew Day will be past and teach a friend to brew day doesnt come up till November but what the heck, I've broken the rules before. Maybe I will be the first to brew in a teardrop. I think that their are a few other home brewers here but I don't remember where they are from. Anyone want to see what it takes to make beer? Oh, and as far as people from other areas coming, hey this is about showing off Wisconsin, so everyone is invited.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TLC » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:03 pm

Betsey:
Would be nice if you guys could make it. Bring the whole gang!!
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby Betsey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:45 pm

Bring the whole gang!!

Hmm...I'll have to see what I can do.

By the way...nice shirt! :thumbsup:

Betsey :)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext