Hoosier Winter Camping Jan 09

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby 07rascal » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:07 pm

We may have to try for this one this year. Last year we were out of town so could not attend. Mounds would be a pretty straight shot from the Fort also.

The Rascal has pretty good insulation and at 20 degrees out we can run it into the 70's + inside with the ceramic heater. Now sub zero MAY be a whole new ballgame! :shock: May have to wrap our Shih-tzu in some R-19 to keep her warm!

We checked and O'bannon woods down near Corydon has the elect section and one bath house open year round with showers. Been wanting to get down there for a weekend this month, but the roads have been iffy and we would prefer a bit better of a forecast for the run down.

We will keep this in mind, sounds like a lot of fun! :D
Terry & Lisa
--------------------------------
From our LG Rascal to the Cabin-A.....The LG found a good home!

"When employed, live like your unemployed....so that when your unemployed you can live like your employed!!"

07rascal
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:22 am

07rascal wrote:We may have to try for this one this year. Last year we were out of town so could not attend. Mounds would be a pretty straight shot from the Fort also.

The Rascal has pretty good insulation and at 20 degrees out we can run it into the 70's + inside with the ceramic heater. Now sub zero MAY be a whole new ballgame! :shock: May have to wrap our Shih-tzu in some R-19 to keep her warm!

We checked and O'bannon woods down near Corydon has the elect section and one bath house open year round with showers. Been wanting to get down there for a weekend this month, but the roads have been iffy and we would prefer a bit better of a forecast for the run down.

We will keep this in mind, sounds like a lot of fun! :D

KEEP US POSTED WE CAN MAKE O'BANNON WOODS AN "UNOFFICIAL" OUTING :snowstorm:
Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:36 am

ERV wrote:Hi All, Jan and I just got our new teardrop this fall. Only had a few weekends to go out this fall and would love to join you at this gathering. Made her try it out this weekend. Was 17 deg. in the back yard, but was toasty inside so I think I can talk her into it, HA. Live in Medina, Ohio so weather might keep us from making the trip. Can someone give all the details in one post. Date and where and about which site everyone is trying to gather around. Thanks. Hope the weather is good, Looking forward to meeting all of you. Erv and Jan.

The more the Merrier welcome aboard. Kurt and Scot will chime in later but the planned site is Mounds State park in Anderson IN. The morning of Saturday 1/16/09 thru mid day Sunday 1/17/09. Best advice is dress in layers about 8 of them :lol: You can peel down as the temp goes up. There will be no need for advance registeration , there shouldn't be too much of a crowd.
We have plans to stay to the outside of the campgrounds near the trees for a windbreak. This year we should have 3 or 4 popups we can locate to break the wind as well. Dan's was a lifesaver last year. Campsite numbers will be 69 up or 3 up per scott. The DNR is kinda lax in January and we can move around a bit if we ask politely. I think they are just glad to see people at that time of year. Hope to see ya there.

Bob & Vickie Henry
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:52 am

I Put us on the events calendar for Channel 13 this morning. For lack of a name I used "Teardrops in the snow". It sounds familiar so if I borrowed it from someone here on the forum I will apologize in advance.

Maybe we can get Tim Bush out in the cold to visit us. We are gonna get on TV yet or I'll die trying.

Bob
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:22 am

ERV wrote:Hi All, Jan and I just got our new teardrop this fall. Only had a few weekends to go out this fall and would love to join you at this gathering. Made her try it out this weekend. Was 17 deg. in the back yard, but was toasty inside so I think I can talk her into it, HA. Live in Medina, Ohio so weather might keep us from making the trip. Can someone give all the details in one post. Date and where and about which site everyone is trying to gather around. Thanks. Hope the weather is good, Looking forward to meeting all of you. Erv and Jan.

Welcom Erv and welcome to the forum as I see this is your first post.
The weather is always a factor I'd rather see everyone at the gathering in May than have anyone try to make a trip in bad weateer.

here's some facts

Jan 17th, there's a few that ware talking coming Friday night also weather and Baby sitters ( Me ) permitting.
A map of Mounds State Park in Anderson
Sites 69-? are tree protected but aren't real level (not real bad though close to the PT)
sites ?-13 are tree protected and level but not real close to the PT, but not to far as it's not a real big campground.

Because there is no reservations taken and you book when you get there it will be the call of the first one to show up.

07Rascal wrote:The Rascal has pretty good insulation and at 20 degrees out we can run it into the 70's + inside with the ceramic heater. Now sub zero MAY be a whole new ballgame! May have to wrap our Shih-tzu in some R-19 to keep her warm!

07Rascal you'd be surprised they haeat just as well at sub zero. I can vouch for that I had to turn down my little $9 plastic walmart heater twice during the night last year

Looks like this is shapping up to be a good one, We should have a nice big fire.
Everyone think good roads :worship:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:01 am

Scott, that sounds like a good plan. I usually don't get involved in the planning for this gathering since I don't have to live with the decisions. :shock:

I'm only a visitor for this one.
I'll be down during the day on Saturday but no "over nights" for me.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:29 pm

Wow! I didn't know Obannon Woods had a shower house open all year! I can be there in under 30 min's I will be making that a must do trip for a weekend.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby 07rascal » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:56 pm

Mark72 wrote:Wow! I didn't know Obannon Woods had a shower house open all year! I can be there in under 30 min's I will be making that a must do trip for a weekend.

Mark

Mark,

In the past only the primitive horse camp was open year round, this year I made a call down and the gal told me for the last couple of years they have been keep "A" loop on the main campground open with a heated bath house and showers open year round. All paved sites, with elect. Pretty first class for winter camping!

Make a call first to confirm again before you head out...you know how that goes....at least for us anyway, we hate surprises!

BobHenry,

We will keep ya posted if we can get a window to head to o'bannon woods, nothing like an impromptu gathering!

Scott,

I have little doubt that these suckers heat REAL well, we have ran ourselves out of it with the same little heater you mentioned a few times. In 38-40 degree weather this fall in the U.P. we never ran heat at all and it was still low 60's to wake up to just on body heat alone.

Cheers,
Terry & Lisa and Dog Daisy!
Terry & Lisa
--------------------------------
From our LG Rascal to the Cabin-A.....The LG found a good home!

"When employed, live like your unemployed....so that when your unemployed you can live like your employed!!"

07rascal
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark72 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks! If you were to come down for a weekend I may be up to a last minute mini gathering. let me know!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:08 pm

Where is everybody at ?

Stayed after work a couple night and dolled up the wood stove neich. Took Scott's skylight lexan he never claimed and cut it to fit over the neich box. I painted the osb with flat black and applied that dark bronze lexan over it and it now looks like a black mirror. Went to the lumber yard and they wanted $1.60 a foot for that "L" shaped 1 1/8 " wood corner trim and I needed 16 +/- feet. Said hell with that , came back to the shop and cut my own out of some southern yellow pine 2x4's . They looked good as trim for all the edges. Installed the stove and then afixed the exhaust pipe chimney and added a brace for the chimney back to the bottom of the neich. The coupe de gras was the 4" stainless steel mixing bowl I stole from the kitchen that became the rain cap. (Yes I did really ask if I could have it) I have been divorced 3 times I finally learned :D . I gotta get some really good pics This outing. My boss did make me promise to get a combo O2 deprivation sensor and smoke alarm. He said he needed me back when I burnt the trailer down. He calls it my coffin on wheels I don't think he likes it. He swears I am going to suffocate in the " Coffin" He just don't get it does he? God what if he saw a 4x8 ! Mine is huge in comparison.

36 more days

The ugly neich last year Image

From inside I remove the window sashs and clamp on neich, install stove and chimney and fire it up. (This year I have added a tin heat shield inside the box .)

I gotta go home and fire this up I can't stand it :twisted:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Tripmaker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm here but busy with other things. Haven't done anything to prepare for the Shivaree. I'll take my ceramic heater but most likely will not use it as I sleep with the windows and vent open. I will use my down filled sleeping bag. I'll also be bringing my buddies Jack Daniels and Captain Morgan. Most likely will pack things up the day I leave.

Jim
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Jst83 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:07 pm

bobhenry wrote:Where is everybody at ?

Took Scott's skylight lexan he never claimed and cut it to fit over the neich box.

:cry: That's still in the spring time plans after it warms up.

bobhenry wrote:I gotta go home and fire this up I can't stand it :twisted:

So did it work? inquiring minds want to know

:dancing :P Yeah the camper is in the garage
now to get the electric re wired and the insulation back in.
No problem

I so can't wait
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 am

:fb Garage

Mine is out in the rain and ice !

HOW DID IT WORK ! well let me tell you a story .......

Loaded eggbert my little cargo tear with the neich BOTH pieces of the chiminey and all associated parts early friday morning at work. Went to hook up too the Suzuki friday night after work and the tongue was froze to the ground. Prying with a 8 foot 2x4 only flexed the 2" sq tube tongue. I was so disgusted I left the trailer at work. So maybe tonight but who knows!

P.S. Scott we can get more lexan. I am certain Mr. Miller has some left.
I am concidering buying 5 more big sheets for my next couple of builds.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:37 am

suppsed to get yucky might really be frozen to the ground.

If you get some more sheets just let me know.
If you have a smallish scrap piece I could have can you bring it in Jan?
I'd like to do some experimenting with it on sealing techniques.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:29 am

Jst83 wrote:suppsed to get yucky might really be frozen to the ground.

If you get some more sheets just let me know.
If you have a smallish scrap piece I could have can you bring it in Jan?
I'd like to do some experimenting with it on sealing techniques.

56 at 3 am Monday morning but dropped like a rock so before anything froze solid again I went out and pried the tongue up as soon as I arrived at work. Now we are good to go tonight.

I Have a couple big chunks of scrap I had left over. I will bring it to the shivaree. How big a piece you need for your experiment.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest