Hoosier Fall 2013 "Getting Together"

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: Hoosier Fall 2013 "Getting Together"

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:21 am

Damn 50 miles west and a week earlier and you could have joined the Kentucky group at Frankfort KY

Could you have gotten any further South ? :cry:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:42 am

Bob, there where a few people asking if the gathering could be farther north. I don't mind, I've got family up there. Bur for a short cruise, I'm not sure if I would go that far either.

I think winimac is probably as far north as would be tolerated by most....although there are many who will never be happy.

So far, my favorite sites are in no particular order:

Brown county state park...except the camp store being a 3 mile trip was a little much.
Governor dodge state park in Wisconsin (much like Indiana parks, except there was a massive undergrowth between sites. Very private.
Lincoln state park. No privacy, it's an essentially open range, but the showers where awesome, water and electric on site, and a short walk to a small beach.

Least favorite:
Summit lake. Dirty! Showers ok, but the mucky soil and rough un compacted rock was uncomfortable to even walk on
Any open plane camping (potatoe creek, KoA, or parts of summit lake) come to mind.

Shakamak would be on my favorite list except for the bugs...that was awful!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:21 am

The Hoosier chapters formal gatherings are rotated to be fair to all. We have had a very good response by the group as some gatherings are closer to their area and we have actually gained many folks thanks to the rotation. I was just surprised that this un official gathering was in such a remote corner of the state. I am sorry. I will not gripe ever again and yes I might just motor down ????? :roll:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Verna » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 am

Bob, Lincoln State Park is straight down 231, just past Jasper. Yes, south central Indiana, but it's really not as far south as Clifty Falls or Harmonie SP. Come on down. It's a real Hoosier gathering when you're there. I could even bring you those two sheets of pink insulation.

I've decided to go ahead and come on way up north for Potato Creek....do I need to bring my winter coat and boots? ;<}
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:42 am

It shouldn't be that bad...But I don't think well hear a lot of AC units humming...maybe a space heater or two :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nansplace » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Gerry I think you might be right. However being a little further south you MAY get temps a few degrees warmer. I would advise having the heater on board just in case.
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby dan galvin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:36 pm

it is to bad that some of our group thinks that it is to far to go for a gathering
since 09 i have missed very few gatherings i live 4 miles from lake michigan and i would say 90% fo the gathering are south
i for one am glad to see this one north
and for the weather sun tan during the day and a blanket at night
what more can you ask for
Dan :wine: :wine: :wine:
dan galvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Verna » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Dan, for me, my nephew's birthday is that week. When I found his party is being postponed, I knew I could come. And, my space heater is always in it's storage place under the headboard. :thumbsup:

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Doesn't matter..my heater is stowed just in case for every trip. We try to have a standard setup that will carry us through whatever we might run into. In indiana, we usually do...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pjo129 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:31 am

Dan, you know I don't mind driving for a Gathering. This was simply a group of us who, for one reason or another, either couldn't make the official Fall Gathering or wanted to get together in addition to the Hoosier group.

Everyone, please, DO NOT read this thread as taking anything away from the Hoosier Gatherings. Kurt and Dan do an AWESOME job!

I sincerely hope there are no hurt feelings because of any confusion over this. While the Olson's won't be able to make Potato Creek this Fall to to other obligations, we look forward to seeing everyone at the Spring Gathering WHEREVER it is. I may even make an appearance at the Shiveree with The Patrol Box (Lord willing).

Happy camping.
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:16 am

Agree with Pete. Ill be at both places, anxiously waiting. Life has been crazy this summer...serenity is probably developing flat spots in Eric tires by now. We haven't had her out since the crossroads gathering...

I know whoever hatched the idea of something down south had nothing to do with disrespect for Kurt. I think he is probably the best ambassador for any club I've been part of.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:37 am

So, Bob, you going to be there?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Hoosier Fall 2013

Postby indycamper » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm

GerryS wrote:Agree with Pete. Ill be at both places, anxiously waiting. Life has been crazy this summer...serenity is probably developing flat spots in Eric tires by now. We haven't had her out since the crossroads gathering...

I know whoever hatched the idea of something down south had nothing to do with disrespect for Kurt. I think he is probably the best ambassador for any club I've been part of.

I'm the one who hatched the idea of the "unofficial" get together, because I had other commitments for the weekend of the Fall Gathering. We even talked to Kurt about it before we left McCormick's Creek.

This was not a question of "Potato Creek is too far to travel", but one of "I already have other commitments for the second weekend of October."

Since I have a commitment with myself to try to get out every month, it seemed only natural to see if anyone else would want to go. And since I know next to nothing about the state parks in Indiana, I was ready to agree to anything suggested. If someone had suggested that we head up to Potato Creek the last weekend of September, I'd have been fine with that, too.

I will be at next fall's gathering, unless it, too, conflicts with my annual pilgrimage to Walt Disney World to meet up with friends. SInce we have to go during their fall break from school, I don't have a lot of leaway for making changes!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:19 am

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth...or in any way slight Kurt....if/when he leaves the post, there will be some big shoes to fill!

I know distance to south bend is a stopper for some....when this was voted on early this summer there was a lot of moaning, perhaps from people who would think mounds isn't central enough. I don't know.

I'm planning to be a both....my vacation time has been approved, the camper is in need of restocking after this weekend....but I'm ready to roll :)

-G
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pjo129 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:24 am

Alrighty. Lets get down to the actual get together. Are we going to have a pitch-in on Saturday night? If so, what does everyone want to contribute? I think Gerry mentioned something about BBQ (I may have misremembered) what does everyone think?
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest