Looking for a rustic ish spot in VW or Virgina

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

Looking for a rustic ish spot in VW or Virgina

Postby CRZ42 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:12 pm

Hi, I'm going to admit to not searching this forum yet, but I only have signal a few more minutes.
My partner is a planner, I am a wing it gal. I'm currently building a foamie and expecting to have it done in a couple weeks. The original maiden voyage was supposed to have been in the UP of Michigan. The new plan is to head south for Thanksgiving, I'm looking for a 6-8 hour drive from Ann Arbor.
We typically rustic camp with our dogs. We typically avoid state or national parks because it is like camping in a mini city, and also a lot of places restrict dogs.
I would try BLM/freecampsites.net but being a holiday weekend I expect that a lot of those will be taken.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Even though it is out of your area, I would also consider KY or TN spots.
Thanks
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Re: Looking for a rustic ish spot in VW or Virgina

Postby DrewsBrews » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:01 pm

If you want no one near you at all, then you are probably leaning more towards private land.. Which that gets more tricky. Typically you need to personally know someone with land who would trust you not to leave trash or destroy stuff.

If you dont find info here for what you need, maybe check out the various state chapters over at Tearjerkers. Maybe someone there has land and is friendly to fellow teardroppers using it.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:50 pm

If you should decide to try the UP trip down the road I can give you a couple boondocking sites. Just PM me someday.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:17 am

I know this is a year old topic, but for any looking for some great cheap to free camping locations we have some nice ones in Pocahontas County, WV. There are numerous dispersed camping sites (free), as well as a lot of National Forest locations (really cheap - like $5 -$10) here. Many are next to rivers or streams, all are in the mountains and forest. If anyone wants more information, feel free to contact me.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby VaeVictis » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:02 am

Consider checking out the Huron-Manistee National Forests in Michigan for rustic camping near Ann Arbor. They offer dispersed camping options and beautiful natural surroundings. Additionally, you could explore the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky or the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee for potential camping spots. These areas often have fewer crowds and more dog-friendly options. While you're planning your trip, don't forget to keep in mind some of the amazing Chicago cruises if you ever find yourself in the area.
Last edited by VaeVictis on Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
VaeVictis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Onajourney » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:56 am

Checkout [url]Hipcamp.com[/url]
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Return to Northeast