Trip to Yellowstone/Tetons Spring 2015

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Re: Trip to Yellowstone/Tetons Spring 2015

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:48 pm

Here is the link to the road construction schedules for 2015. http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Road delays and closures can really mess up your schedule or camping plans.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jonw » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 pm

I spent a few days this past summer at Madison Campground in Yellowstone. No electricity but a nice, clean, centrally located campground base from which to see the area. I did have to take showers elsewhere at other park campgrounds that had them (while on my daily excursions).

An interesting, wonderful place. If you're interested, here's pictures of that trip out to the IRG including 3 days spent at Yellowstone on the way home: http://www.jonweinberg.com/irg2014/

I'd also recommend checking out the Beartooth Scenic Highway by the Northeast entrance to the park.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby unclemark » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:57 am

The worst crowd we saw in August was at the west Yellowstone entrance. Besides traffic from pac nw states, I think that entrance gets a ton of people who fly to Salt Lake City and rent cars or RVs. Mid morning would be worst if my observation was of typical circumstances. Big challenge up there is to avoid traffic and parking delays because mileage is already going to eat a big part of every day.
unclemark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bobcape » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:13 pm

You will have a great time for sure. I camp in the Big Horns in WY every year and make it over to Jelly most years. I would suggest you shoot for mid to late June. HWY 14/14A over the Big Horns is not reliably open until mid June. Other passes are similar. Also campsites can be slushy/muddy in late May. Enjoy your trip.

Bob

Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:39 pm

We are also planning a trip to Yellowstone, Tetons and Teddy Roosevelt NP this spring but have only started thinking about it. We did stay at the KOA outside Yellowstone a couple of years ago and it is one of the nicer ones, and one of the most expensive!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Beautiful pictures.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:57 pm

I stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA. Like stated, it is expensive, but very close to the park entrance. We were there in early June and morning temps were just above freezing. The majority of the traffic jams were caused by people pulling off the road to photograph the eagles nesting near the road. Use the construction guide to determine where you will stay and enter the park. The year we went, the construction was near the east entrance, so camping on the west side made the most sense for us. We only had a few days and didn't see even half of the south loop. All the bear reports we heard were on the north loop at that time. Even without bear sightings, we saw lots of wildlife.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fred Trout » Sun May 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Fresh snow in Yellowstone area this weekend and in town W Yellowstone ! Temps in the 40s in the lower valleys today, bring your cool weather gear.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mrwall1 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:10 am

jonw wrote:I spent a few days this past summer at Madison Campground in Yellowstone. No electricity but a nice, clean, centrally located campground base from which to see the area. I did have to take showers elsewhere at other park campgrounds that had them (while on my daily excursions).

An interesting, wonderful place. If you're interested, here's pictures of that trip out to the IRG including 3 days spent at Yellowstone on the way home: http://www.jonweinberg.com/irg2014/

I'd also recommend checking out the Beartooth Scenic Highway by the Northeast entrance to the park.

Thank you those pictures are amazing! we are going to Grand Tetons in July.... might take one day and drive into Yellowstone... not sure yet... but what was the campground in your picture ID Falls 652 #169... did it have electrical... we are going to stay in twin falls for a couple of days....
my Old Teardrop build journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59792
My New 7x16 Continental V Nose Build
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67734
My Photobucket Link to 7x16 V nose build
http://s20.photobucket.com/user/mrwall/ ... %20Trailer
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby jonw » Mon May 18, 2015 11:24 pm

mrwall1 wrote:
jonw wrote:I spent a few days this past summer at Madison Campground in Yellowstone. No electricity but a nice, clean, centrally located campground base from which to see the area. I did have to take showers elsewhere at other park campgrounds that had them (while on my daily excursions).

Thank you those pictures are amazing! we are going to Grand Tetons in July.... might take one day and drive into Yellowstone... not sure yet... but what was the campground in your picture ID Falls 652 #169... did it have electrical... we are going to stay in twin falls for a couple of days....

Thanks. It was called Oregon Trail campground.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jonw » Mon May 18, 2015 11:24 pm

mrwall1 wrote:

Thanks. It was called Oregon Trail campground.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby RichGL » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Well I completed my 12 day - 4000 mile trip to Yellowstone, Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore. Had a wonderful trip, and myPod performed great. While visiting Yellowstone, I stayed Wagon Wheel RV Park in West Yellowstone. It was a very nice park, with amazingly clean restrooms and showers, as well as cable TV hookup and Wi-Fi. I would definitely stay there again if in the area.
Attachments
IMGP2205s.jpg
Profile view of Mt Rushmore
IMGP2205s.jpg (191.34 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
IMGP2183s.jpg
Camping in the National Park at the base of Devils Tower
IMGP2183s.jpg (190.77 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
IMGP2147s.jpg
Wagon Wheel RV Park in West Yellowstone
IMGP2147s.jpg (209.57 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
RichGL
Teardrop Inspector