Trip to Yellowstone/Tetons Spring 2015

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Trip to Yellowstone/Tetons Spring 2015

Postby RichGL » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:18 pm

I am tentatively planning to make a trip from Kansas City to the Yellowstone/Tetons area the spring 2015 (late May-early June). I will be pulling my MyPod trailer and will be needing an RV park w/electricity. I'm looking for advice on what I might expect because I have never traveled in this part of the county. Where to park, what to see, all that good stuff. I mainly will be doing photography and sight seeing.

From what I have researched so far, I am not finding many State Park areas for RVs, seems to be mainly private parks.

Thanks for any help and advice
RichGL
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trip to Yellowstone/Tetons Spring 2015

Postby ParTaxer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:14 am

There is a nice campground just outside of Yellowstone towards the Tetons. Just a warning; I was in Yellowstone in Mid June, a few years ago, and there was about three inches of snow. There's also a campground at fishing bridge inside the park.

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby notned » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:58 pm

No fishing on fishing bridge. That concludes what I know. I hope to get there one day.
notned
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:00 pm

Well I can tell you this. Wyoming has only recently discovered electricity. You will not find it, or a shower very easily unless you hit private camp grounds. There is one camp ground, I believe Fishing Bridge inside Yellowstone that has hook ups. If electricity is a must make a reservation prior to your stay so you are sure to get a site. I suggest staying inside the park if at all possible. It is such a big place ,you can spend a good part of the day just getting into the park, and then back out at night. We stayed in Bridge Bay. No electric but flush toilets and central to most of the park. In the Tetons we stayed at Coulter Bay. Flush toilets and showers available but I don't think they have electricity either. You might look around Jenny Lake closer to Jackson Hole and right in the Tetons. Expect to pay much more for those kind of sites.
Also the time of year you are thinking about can be cold. Even day time temperatures May into early June can be cold. You are us in the 6-7 thousand feet, so nights especially can be cold. The whole north western part of Wyoming is stunning. You will love it!

If you can change your dates to the end of July there is a gathering of Teardrops and tint travel trailers in Pinedale WY which is only a few hours south of the Tetons. Join us if you can.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61887
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dexstrom » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:41 pm

We are planning to visit Yellowstone and Teton parks this spring also and like you learned there are few public campgrounds. We'll probably settle in at Colter Village RV park so we'll have electric and be close to both parks. http://tinyurl.com/mhrs64u Kinda spendy but I suppose the popularity of the area dictates that.

There photo even shows a Scamp trailer so small trailers must be OK.
dexstrom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:55 pm

There were 3 of us in our group going to the Tetons and Yellowstone. We kept our teardrops attached to the car when we traveled the lower loop of Yellowstone. As small as they are we were able to get into the parking lots. By having a reservation we did not have to rush in a get a campsite before hitting the park. The park is huge so it can take a couple hours to drive around the 2 main loops. If you want to see Yellowstone I suggest you stay in the park. The best photography is early morning and late afternoo. If you stay out of the park, you are driving at those times.

Can I ask, why you must have electric. We went 2 full weeks without any electric drops. When we traveled our battery was charged by the tow vehicle, and always ran our fan and lights without any issues. One guy even has a Dometic refrigerator that is electric and he had to run his Tow vehicle only once for about a half hour to charge his battery. But that was because we did not move from one camp ground for 3 days.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:09 pm

I camp a bunch in Yellowstone. The middle of May is my favorite (buffalo calves = grizzlies + wolves). We camp at Mammoth then since I think it's the only campground open. No hookups. I think Woodbutcher is correct, Fishing Bridge is the only campground in the park with hookups. And I think you'd want to get reservations. A snow storm isn't a rare event in May or even early June.

Headed to Jellystone next month, but the teardrop is staying home. We'll be staged outta Silvergate. :pictures:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RichGL » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 pm

I really want to thank you all for all the great information. I have heard that in late May early June there is a chance of snow. I'm kind of interested in being there for the spring thaw, bears coming out of hibernation, and maybe a little less crowded.

I have found a private RV Park from internet search called Green Creek Inn & RV Park near Cody WY, anyone familiar? I agree that early reservations look like a must since there are so few places with electricity. I'm also thinking about stopping by Wyoming Dinosaur Museum to do a dig, anyone have any experience there?

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks Again
RichGL
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TxDave » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:27 am

We've camped a couple of times in the Tetons. Yellowstone is absolutely huge. The Tetons park is smaller and more intimate. We camped in the park. Jackson Hole is close by and is a fun place to visit. Ditto to what others have said about the awesome beauty of northwest Wyoming. This is definitely a trip you'll enjoy.
Dave and Jan Clay
Temple, TX
TxDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:02 am

RichGL wrote:I really want to thank you all for all the great information. I have heard that in late May early June there is a chance of snow. I'm kind of interested in being there for the spring thaw, bears coming out of hibernation, and maybe a little less crowded.

I have found a private RV Park from internet search called Green Creek Inn & RV Park near Cody WY, anyone familiar? I agree that early reservations look like a must since there are so few places with electricity. I'm also thinking about stopping by Wyoming Dinosaur Museum to do a dig, anyone have any experience there?

Thanks Again

If I read your response right, are you thinking of staying in Cody and doing day trips into Yellowstone? If so you will spend a huge part of your day driving back and forth. While the mileage may not seem like that much, it is a huge climb with twisting roads that keep you from moving at a decent speed. If you are not interested in Fishing Bridge, check into the West Yellowstone area. Much closer drive into the sites.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DrCrash » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:05 am

RichGL wrote:I really want to thank you all for all the great information. I have heard that in late May early June there is a chance of snow. I'm kind of interested in being there for the spring thaw, bears coming out of hibernation, and maybe a little less crowded.

Thanks Again

Yes we have stayed there at that campground, it is nice.
wood butcher is right about the long drive but!!!!! It is a very pretty one and in my opinion there is alot of things to do outside the park also.
See the park and spend time in it and if you have extra time and want to see some things tourists dont get to see and avoid crowds just say so and I will post some awsome quiet places in and near cody and the north gate Cookie mt.
Btw little factoide....Do you guys know that the working model test dam for Boulder or
Hoover is in the area and visitable ?
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby RichGL » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:58 pm

]If I read your response right, are you thinking of staying in Cody and doing day trips into Yellowstone? If so you will spend a huge part of your day driving back and forth. While the mileage may not seem like that much, it is a huge climb with twisting roads that keep you from moving at a decent speed. If you are not interested in Fishing Bridge, check into the West Yellowstone area. Much closer drive into the sites.

I had initially looked at staying in the West Yellowstone area but since I am coming from the east, I didn't just how much further of a drive or if it was worth staying on the east side or going to the west, since I've never been there before. I will definitely consider West Yellowstone. Thanks
RichGL
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ParTaxer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:33 am

I have camped near West Yellowstone. More remote camping and was not crowded at all in September. About half the sites had electricity. The campground's name escapes me. Heard wolves howling and stared into the woods one morning only to discover a very large mule deer staring back at me. Have fun; I would do it again.
I think we camped in area C .
Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:26 am

I would look at lots of information on Yellowstone and the Tetons, then decide what are your priority "must sees" for this trip. It really is too big and too many fantastic sights to do in one trip. Then chose where you can camp to conveniently access those areas. Also check with the park service on what roads will be worked on so you can avoid them. Don't try and see it all in one trip. Focus on an area.

Have you checked the National Forest campgrounds? I think some of the ones in the West Yellowstone area like Rainbow Point have a few electrical sites. You need to get a reservation as early as possible where ever you decide to camp. If you want to really rough it look at the dispersed camping in the national forests, but it is usually back a ways from the park.

Gallatin National Forest near West Yellowstone and I think it is Bridger-Teton NF in the Jackson area.

Good luck and good camping.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TENNJIM » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Near the south entrance to the park is Flagg Ranch RV and Campground. It might be another one to check.
:beer:
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Next

Return to North Central