Colorado road trip

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Colorado road trip

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:10 pm

The wife and I want to roadtrip Colorado this summer and I'm looking for some input on how open things will be. What you might suggest are must sees. We would prefer to stay in different campgrounds every night and prefer to not make reservations since we like to just see where the road takes us, any thoughts?
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Re: Colorado road trip

Postby dguff » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi George!!l

What routes are you planning to take to and from Colorado from your place.? I have some ideas about Utah, Nevada and Arizona if they are part of your travels. Have fun!

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Its pretty tough right now to get a spot without reservations, everyone is heading to the high country. Weekdays are a lot easier to find a spot. What are you interested in seeing?

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:22 am

Hi Jerome and Bruce, we like to see as much of the state as possible, not city's but all the natural beauty. We've roadtriped Utah, new Mexico, Arizona and Nevada in the past but only passed through colorado. I guess where are places you suggest we dont miss.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:55 pm

In no particular order:

Rocky Mountain National Park
Great Sand Dunes
Colorado National Monument
Maroon Bells
Buena Vista and the Collegiate Peaks
Grand Mesa/The Flat tops
Turquoise Lake
Ouray - The Switzerland of America
Steamboat Lake
Dinosaur National Monument
Mesa Verde
Four Corners

Mostly look in the the western half of the state, its all grasslands east of Denver.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks Bruce,, appreciate it. Hope you and Jean are well.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby dguff » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:54 am

We enjoyed camping outside of Durango, fun area including Silverton. Mesa Verde is awesome. The drive up Longs Peak is impressive. Rocky Mountain NP is a must. The area around Leadville is interesting. As Bruce said, the west is the best!
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 am

On the way to Colorado, Take I-15 past Vegas and through the NW corner of Arizona. This will take you through the Virgin River Gorge, one of the most spectacular sections of Interstate (or any other road) in the country. This gets you set up for Zion, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef. Also as close to "just happened to be in the neighborhood" of the Grand Canyon North Rim as you can get. After Capitol Reef, you're on to I-70 and into Grand Junction, CO. From there, you can take the interstate to Denver, or, if you like getting off the Interstate, take US-50 from Grand Junction to Pueblo.

There is a campground in the Virgin River Gorge. Watch for signs.

Allow for 2 one-night stays to see Zion, Bryce and Cap Reef then get to Grand Junction.

You can do the US-50 route in one kinda long day. Lake Pueblo State Park has a no-hookup campground on the North side of the lake that is never full, and during the week may be nearly empty. Also a loop with hookups that can fill up. LPSP also has a couple of loops on the south side that usually fill up.

Okay, now that I've gotten you there, the rest is up to you. bdosborn has a good list, above.

Have a great trip! :beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby swoody126 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:54 am

George, you didn't mention your time frame

it would be easy to plan you out for 3-6 months worth of tripping

understand several of the prime points of interest are on "loops" meaning you will likely make several loops on your tour

coming in from the southwest stop @ 4-Corners Monument

https://navajonationparks.org/tribal-pa ... -monument/

then procede to Mesa Verde NP then over to Durango

https://www.nps.gov/meve/index.htm

remember camping is free in the National Forests

United CG on the north end of Durango offers all the amenities of commercial CG's and is located conveniently for riding the Durango/Silverton RxR(if it is open)

https://www.durangotrain.com

ride the train both ways... don't do the bus thing it really doesn't save you any time

on north up US 550 is Siverton (eat the buffalo burger @ Handlebars w/ peach cobbler a la mode)

https://handlebarssilverton.com

up n over Red Mtn Pass to Ouray and take a dip in the natural hot springs pool if it's open

Ridgeway is the next burg up 550 where much of the original True Grit movie was fimed and Eat @ the True Grit Cafe

sitting on the front porch you are looking at the park where the hangings were filmed

https://truegritcafe.com

going north turn right @ Montrose on US 50 and visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP

https://www.nps.gov/blca/index.htm

on east toward Gunnison is the Blue Mesa RV Ranch (another commercial CG w/ facilities) on the western edge of town

take time to view the tree sculptures in the Gunnison City Park

north of Gunnison thru Crested Butte and Gothic are some National Forest CG's w/ level sites picnic tables & pit toilets for cheap

on east of Gunnison over Monarch Pass and thru Salida just south of US 50 is Royal Gorge Bridge and Park

https://royalgorgebridge.com

south from Salida toward Alamosa is Great Sand Dunes NP

https://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

back west towards your Cali home up n over Wolf Creek Pass to Durango

realistically this would take you well over a week and then some AFTER you cross into Colorado and you've never left the southwest corner of the state

time to do some research to help decide whether you want to SEE Colorado or just make a WFO pass at it

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby cherokeegeorge » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:06 pm

We have a time limit 9 days. And were coming from so cal. I wish I could roadtrip for 3 months. Maybe in retirement :D
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby swoody126 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:50 pm

cherokeegeorge wrote:We have a time limit 9 days. And were coming from so cal. I wish I could roadtrip for 3 months. Maybe in retirement :D

sounds like you'll have to haul ashes to get to the border and pick n choose a very few of the most interesting to you n yours then haul ashes home

a BTW is in order now... rememberize that distances in western Colorado are measured in "time to travel" NOT distance

sw
swoody126
500 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 am

swoody126 wrote:it would be easy to plan you out for 3-6 months worth of tripping

Nice one, Woody. I think I'll borrow on some of your advice for cherokeegeorge on my way to/from Walk the Winds in Wyoming. :D :thumbsup:

:beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby swoody126 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:05 am

capnTelescope wrote:
swoody126 wrote:it would be easy to plan you out for 3-6 months worth of tripping

Nice one, Woody. I think I'll borrow on some of your advice for cherokeegeorge on my way to/from Walk the Winds in Wyoming. :D :thumbsup:

:beer:

capnTelescope, i only touched on a few of the high points(my opinion)

doing your due diligence b4 you launch is strongly suggested

i spent 1-3 weeks several times/year for many years cruising n camping south of I-70 and west of I-25 w/ several breakouts north and east

my mentor started back in the 1950's with his family

the bridal unit n i didn't get started until our daughter was just out of diapers and she is eligible for AARP now

Colorado is so much like Texas in that it has a plethora of very interesting and historic places worthy of your time

PLEASE be my guest and use me as a stepping stone on your journey

if you have any questions please feel free to ask

or if you have a particular path you are looking at i'd be glad to add to your confusion ;-)

AND if you have a capable vehice i can point you in some directions where some of the most wonderful scenery can be found

BON CHANCE

sw
swoody126
500 Club

Postby cherokeegeorge » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:14 pm

There's a lot of good ideas here, not surprised teardroppers are the best. Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Return to North Central