If I went on a caravan to Alaska, I would want to..

Anywhere in the country is fine. Where do you want to camp?

If I went on a caravan to Alaska, I would want to..

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:34 pm

If we planned a trip to Alaska in 2007, what would be the most important things that you would like to do? Would you drive, ride the ferry...is deep sea fishing a priority...how about the 24 hours of daylight, gold panning, good campgrounds, Denali, cultural exposure, etc? Let us know what your dream TearDrop caravan vacation to the Great Land would involve?...Juneaudave
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby JunkMan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:06 am

I would probably drive the Alcan, considering where I am starting from (South Dakota). A Halibuit fishing charter would be a must! A side trip to Dawson City Yukon would be fun, but I doubt if my VW could handle the Taylor Highway.

There's so much to do up there, that it's hard to know where to start :?
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Kens » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:04 am

The Alcan would be a must see.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

If you haven't been to AK lately, the US Gov has almost completely rebuilt the road from Haines, through Haines Jct, up to the border through Canada. (OK...lets hear it...why is the US building roads in Canada???Because we've been doing so since 1977 when the Shakwak Agreement was signed to provide a road between SE Alaska and the rest of the state. With the new highway bill...we send about $30 M per year to the Yukon Territory for that project, and it shows). Great drive!! For an Alaska road trip, Dawson would be on my list of "must see" places to go...Juneaudave
Juneaudave

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

I would want to take two months to make the trip!!! :snappy: :campfire: :ilovecamp: :picnic: :bounce:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby JunkMan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:42 pm

Juneaudave wrote:If you haven't been to AK lately, the US Gov has almost completely rebuilt the road from Haines, through Haines Jct, up to the border through Canada.

Whats the Taylor Highway look like nowdays? I remember the section between Tetlin Junction and Chicken was like driving in a riverbed :?
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:46 am

Jeff - I asked a friend whose work has taken him out to Eagle as recently as last fall about the Taylor Highway for you. Since you drove it, it has been paved 3/4s of the way from Tetlin Junction to Chicken. After that the same except maybe a few more tour buses/RVs in summer (closed in winter).
    Sounds like the VW would do just fine. Wouldn't want to go very fast and miss the scenery anyway. :roll:
    Fred :snow
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:22 am

Fred,

Thanks for asking about it for us. That was probably one of the worst roads I have ever traveled on in my life, and I have driven on a few. As I remember, the Top of the World Highway wasn't too rough, just a little scary when a semi passed you in the rain :shock:

Our VW sits VERY low to the ground (I think VW increased the ground clearance a year or two after ours was built), so we have to be really careful where we take it. We ripped the oil pan open on a rough gravel driveway last year :cry:

Hopefully by the time an Alaska event is put together, we will have one of our old VW's restored to take on the trip. They sit much higher, and are much easier to do roadside repairs on :lol:
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Alaska trip

Postby Finntec » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:59 pm

We are still unsure if we will be doing an Alaskan trip this year or not.

We want to see so much and we only have about 4 weeks this year. We want to be back for the North meets South gathering. If we don't go to Alaska, we may try the Redwoods gathering on the West coast and do a quick run back to the East coast for the end of our trip.

Our Alaskan trip would have to include a Halibut fishing trip and a Danali Park visit. Our vacations focus on scenery, hiking and wildlife.

Bonus for a run up to the Arctic circle.

Double bonus for joining the Arctic Ocean Polar Bear Club!
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Taylor highway

Postby Oregonian » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:31 am

I drove the taylor highway in 2006 :vroom: and it was paved and and pretty good road till you got to the turn off for the rim of world highway to Chicken, then it was rough. Dawson City is really something to see. Well I personally think that the whole state of Alaska is something to take a long time to see and not to spend 5 minutes at each stop, but every turn in the road there is something breath taking to see. :woohoo: If whoever is going to go, they should take a complete summer from about June till Sept and stop every place that they can. I have been there four times and would go again in a heartbeat if there were to be a gathering up there. :applause: :thumbsup: :D :beautiful: :snappy: : :ilovecamp:
Bruce Jefferson State Chapter
The love of teardrops brings people together

where have you gone if you haven't left
Oregonian
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:34 am

Well...2007 has come and gone (Went?... Joanie's been helping me on that) but maybe 2009 would work. (See below)
So... With 24 hours of light each day, I guess seeing the Northern Lights would be out. :(
That only leaves Glaciers, Polar Bears, Grizzly Bears, Kodiak Bears, The Denali, Hanyak & Muyak Culture, Gold Mining/Panning, Fishing and joining the Polar Bear Club on my list. :R
Seriously Dave... I'd have to put a Denali Experience and Local Native Culture at the top of the list for that time of year.
Fishing would be a bonus.
Being that You and Marcia are headed down to the Redwoods this year, it only seems right for Joanie and I to head up there next year, Right?... :thinking:
You're gonna have to help me talk her into it... :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby cs_whypt2 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:09 pm

If I went to Alaska, be it on a camping trip or anything really, I would like to see part of the Iditarod. If that is not availabe, I would want to see part of the trail, and a kennel maybe.

Dianne
:wine:
cs_whypt2
Donating Member

Postby wolfy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Do the Kenai Fjords National Park cruise...low cost budget deal that you will treasure forever!

We drove the Alcan Hiway before it was paved and it was truly an adventure.........now it is just one Casey's General store and another KOA after another. Lots of money for gas will sober ya' up real quick. Get there as cheaply as you can and THEN negotiate for transportation....there are bunches of options.

Oh yeah,....buy a copy of the current MILEPOST. Best investement you will ever make in planning a trip to the 49th!
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Dave,
I forgot... Paddle a Bob's Special!!! :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Dave,
I forgot... Paddle a Bob's Special!!! :thumbsup:

This is killing me :? :? I've started a canoe theme on the SlumberMAX and could well end up in a tent at IRG2...AAAGGGG
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Juneaudave

Next

Return to Suggest a Gathering