Dutch Oven Recipes

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Dutch Oven Recipes

Postby McTeardrops » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:47 pm

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and bought a Dutch Oven (4 quart - 10 inch - should be big enough for the 2 of us). Does anyone have any favorite recipes they'd like to share? Easy ones, please; I'm totally new at this. :? Joanne (Mrs. McTeardrops)
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:57 pm

Dump Cake
liberally butter the oven
2 16oz cans of peaches drain out most of the juice DUMP into the oven

2 boxes of some white cake DUMP mix into oven

2 eggs DUMP into oven

24 oz of lemon lime soda (Sierra Mist is good) DUMP into oven

1 stick of butter cut up DUMP into oven

Lightly mix, basically just fluff it, cake part do not touch the fruit at the bottom.

for a 10" oven 15 briquets on top 7 under. Cook for about 40-50 minutes, This will often turn out be gooshy, or burnt or cooked just right. however it ends up THERE WILL BE NO LEFTOVERS!!!!! It all tastes good.

Use cherries, german chocolate cake, and DR. Pepper
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Texsita » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:28 pm

Y'all need to check out the
"LONE STAR DUTCH OVEN SOCIETY"
http://www.lsdos.com/

Question: How do I season a Dutch Oven?
http://www.lsdos.com/faq.html

The cast iron Dutch oven as the official TEXAS State Cooking Implement.

In the fall of 1994, the Lone Star Dutch Oven Society was established to form a Texas Society for people who are interested in cooking outdoors in Dutch Ovens. Dutch Ovens are cast iron cooking pots that originated in Europe many hundreds of years ago. In the 18th century they were manufactured in England, and brought to this country by Dutch Traders... thus the name "Dutch" ovens. These wood fired cooking utensils were of paramount importance to the pioneers who settled this continent. The great Texas cattle drives could not have happened without them.

Societies of Dutch oven cooking have existed in Utah and surrounding states for over ten years. The LSDOS was patterned after the Dutch oven societies in these areas, but we are truly Texas unique. Since that time our society has grown to include chapters in a dozen areas around the state. Each chapter hosts their local DOGS on their own schedule. Our society boasts some extremely competent cooks who are always willing to share their knowledge and experience. Some of our members have been cooking with these black pots for more than 40 years. Join LSDOS, whether you like to cook around a campfire or on your patio with charcoal, and make future history in Texas style cooking... with us!

Also in Kansas, Tenneessee, North Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and California.
Casita owner that is fascinated with Teardrops

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/texsita/my_photos
Llano County, Texas
Texsita
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:33 pm

Ma3tt,

Thanks for the dump cake recipe, I printed it out and just might get brave and try it at the dam gathering this coming weekend. Are you going to be able to get up there this year?
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby jplock » Tue May 02, 2006 8:40 pm

Dutch Oven Chicken Enchilada Dinner for 2

Heat 6 corn tortias with with butter on hot Dutch oven lid upside down.

Roll Chunks of Precooked grilled chicken in tortias. Preferably left overs from previously grilled chicken supper or prepackaged grilled chicken.

Cover tortias with Old El Paso Echilada Sauce and cheese

If you want beans on the side mold two open foil packets on the side for Bush’s Brown Beans or Ranch Style Beans.

Bake Until hot and cheese is melted.

Look in my album for some other dutch oven pictures also there ia a picture of a batch of enchiladas I made camping near Trinadad Colorado last summer. Enjoy your dutch and oven use your imagination!
Jplock

I finally figured out how to put in pictures!
:applause:
Last edited by jplock on Wed May 31, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Re: Dutch Oven Recipes

Postby Joanne » Tue May 02, 2006 11:31 pm

McTeardrops wrote:Well, I've finally taken the plunge and bought a Dutch Oven (4 quart - 10 inch - should be big enough for the 2 of us). Does anyone have any favorite recipes they'd like to share? Easy ones, please; I'm totally new at this. :? Joanne (Mrs. McTeardrops)

Hi Joanne,

This is the other Joanne. Here's a recipe I did for the first annual Arizona DO Gathering. I have some Dutch Oven 101 pages on my website that will make your first efforts more successful.

Joanne (the Vegas one)

Pork Loins with Cheesy Potatoes
Serves: 3-4

Ingredients:
3 medium potatoes, sliced and rinsed
½ cup onions
1 can condensed cheese soup
3 pork loins or pork chops
salt
pepper
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
fresh cilantro
paprika
cooking oil

Directions:

Start 20 coals.

Slice potatoes, then rinse. Set 10 inch Dutch oven over 10-12 coals and allow to preheat. Add a little oil to the bottom of the oven and brown the pork well on both sides. Remove pork chops from the oven. Remove bottom coals leaving 7 for cooking. Place a layer of potatoes in the oven. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, a little cayenne pepper and a little freshly chopped cilantro. Repeat until potatoes are used up. Pour cheese soup over the potatoes and stir together. Sprinkle with paprika. Place the pork chops on top of the potatoes.

Put the lid on the oven and place the remaining coals on top of the oven. Cook for approximately 1 hour until the potatoes are tender and the pork is done.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Return to South Central