Texas Registration Question

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Texas Registration Question

Postby cfunni » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:28 pm

I live in Houston Texas. I am about to start my first Teardrop Camper, and a have a few questions about registering my trailer/ Camper.
I just purchased a HF 4x8 trailer, and have the Cert of Origin. Do I register it with the local tax office as just a trailer now.
After its is converted into a camper, do I need to register it as a RV.
Any comments or experiences here would help.
Thanks
Craig
Craig
Houston, Texas
cfunni
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Texas Registration Question

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:49 pm

If you want a certificate of title, you'll eventually have to register as a travel trailer. You'll need your CoO whichever way you go. Some (many?) just register as a utility trailer. I saw the "impound" word used in that context, but no one has had that happen, to my knowledge. (If it happened to someone here, you should 'fess up and save us some pain.)

You can read my registration tale in my build thread. Go to the first page, and follow the links for "Registration Day 1, 2, ..., 7".

HTH :beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby 2bits » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:57 pm

I was at the tag office last week and they said it used to be that to get a title, the utility trailer needed to be over a certain weight, now due to all the utility trailer thefts, they offer the option to get a title regardless of size. I would personally register it as a utility trailer and get a title in case you ever want to sell it, people seem to like that, but that's the only reason I would care about a title. I definitely wouldn't pursue the RV designation and no one is going to give you a hard time. Teardrops are a very specialty item and you DID build it on a Harbor Freight trailer and that's what you register it as. Technically speaking, you could take the body off during the week and use it to haul lawn mowers as far as anyone knows or cares. Plus it seems like you have to twist people's arm to convince them it is an RV to begin with. This is just my 2bit opinion from my experience.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby jss06 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:07 am

The good news is it is a lot easier since you bought your trailer. I would go ahead and get the RV title but that is your choice. It is easy since you have the paperwork from the manufacturer.

The problem comes when you build your own frame. That is a whole bunch of hoops to jump through.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:40 pm

I had one camper registered as an RV to get a title in Texas- and I'll never do it again! Why? Because then you have to have it inspected each year like the big rigs and have an inspection sticker on it. In most counties of Texas, only a few places can do an RV inspection. it was a real PITA to have both registration and Inspection each year for something that i could have registered as a utility trailer.

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to South Central