South Central Check in!

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Re: South Central Check in!

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am

DJ Davis wrote: Hey! I gotta save activities for future gatherings, don't I...?

Yeah, but... leaving out the Main Event could be why you got so little response. :roll:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby DJ Davis » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 am

HEY!!! I offered multiple main events - spear fishing...mudwrestling...hopscotch/jump rope/mubblety-peg. Sounds like you're just upset because "your" favorite main event wasn't listed. Doesn't mean a water balloon fight COULDN'T happen. Just leave a big bag of balloons where everyone can see them, then lob one after a little while and it's GAME ON!!! You're dealing with an "Instigator - First Class," here. Been stirrin' up $#!* for DECADES!
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:40 am

You go, Dude. I went a post too far. :thumbsup:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby DJ Davis » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:54 pm

No worries, Mate! It's all fun until someone gets an eye put out.
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:13 am

DJ Davis wrote: It's all fun until someone gets an eye put out.

:lol:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby DJ Davis » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Yep...I'll whole-heartedly admit now that you're never finished with a teardrop.

After having a wiring issue with the roof vent fan that made me (reluctantly) turn back homeward on the way to the Home Built Teardrop Gathering at Bull Shoals, AR the second weekend of Jun, I decided I was going to remedy that and go with backup. I soldered the wires to the fan and installed a 5K BTU window shaker on top of a reconfigured tongue box. I'm now four-season capable.

I also picked up a pair of Flexiride torsion half axles, made my own cross brace, and installed those. This weekend will be the test run for the axles and see what settings to put the roof vent fan on to get the A/C to cool AND dehumidify the air in the camper before the compressor shuts off. I got pics of the A/C install and updated my I'bles page, but, no, I didn't take any pics of the axle fabrication steps. I did some drawings for that and can share those if anyone's interested.

FYI: I bought the metal I needed, invested in a mig welding set up and angle grinder after I was told the axle brace job would cost about $1400. Materials were about $150, the welding gear was $400 (HF Labor Day sale), and I learned some mig welding techniques from YouTube videos. Would I say it was easy? Yes. I took my time and "learned" how to lay a decent bead on out of sight areas, but I must say, if you're going to just jump feet first into welding, mig's th' way t' go! I thought it looked easy and IMHO, it was.

After this "major" task, the next will be making some fender mounting brackets. The new axle/cross brace and torsion half axles extend outside the edge of the cabin walls. I did that so I could upgrade to 13" rims and 24" diameter tires. The old HF fenders are too narrow, but will make do for now. Later I'll order some new ones from etrailer.

In closing, just to throw it out there, South Padre Island has their Sandcastle days competition the first weekend of Oct. We're booked at the SPI KOA. Nice place! If'n any of y'all ain't got nuthin' better t' do and feel like driving almost half way 'cross Texas, come down and see it. Oh, and call the KOA instead of using the online reservation system. The website always says "Only two sites left" when you can have a pick of quite a few. The staff are wonderful and will help you choose a good site.

Later!

DJ
DJ

DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby DJ Davis » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Update to my previous post Re: A/C addition and axle upgrade.

This weekend was my first meet w/The Tearjerkers as the Lone Star Chapter Director. It was going to be a small gathering at Lake Somerville State Park anyway (only two other bookings for sites and one site visit on Sat), but everyone else had to cancel. Even the wife bailed on coming with me. But that was OK. I was able to pack light, brought a book, and just chilled out after working on the afore mentioned upgrades the previous 30 or so days.

As with most small campers, it took a while to get a balance of vent fan, window gap openings, and A/C cooling settings to get the cabin comfortable. For others that may still be fighting this battle, I noted the fan pushing air in from the top at the 2nd lowest speed, windows opened at 1/2", and on Low Cool with the temp setting at about 2/3 was just about right. Since the A/C is front mounted, I rotated my sleeping position 180 to compensate for the noise. I just had to be careful when sitting up, as the rear cabin has the galley cabinets protruding.

The axle was a complete success. If the tow vehicle felt the bump, so did the trailer. Otherwise it was as if the trailer wasn't there. Unfortunately, due to the fenders, I had to move the axle placement to the rear about a foot. That upped the tongue weight to about 195 lbs, about 20 lbs over the recommended 15% max of 165. If anything, the trailer towed better and the hitch is rated for a max tongue weight of 500 lbs, so I'm OK with it. I'm just concerned that the HF tongue jack/wheel assembly can handle it. It says it's rated for 1000 lbs, but it does seems to complain when I maneuver the trailer around on the garage floor. Hey! Another project! Make a tongue dolly to go with the car dollies I use under the main wheels!

As you can see, I've been paying attention to the site lately. Isn't it time for us to start planning a Fall gathering and Christmas Party...? Jus' sayin'....

DJ
DJ

DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby asoupley » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:55 pm

DJ,

It was great meeting you today at the Texas Tiny Trailer Rally in Bandera. After our talk, it got me even more excited to get started on my upcoming build. I'm sure I'll be bugging you quite a bit since you live so close :)

-Tony
asoupley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DJ Davis » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:32 am

Tony,

Likewise! I'll be glad, as will other members, to regale you with tons of helpful (or unwanted) "guidance" in your build. Let me know when you're ready for the hurricane hinge and we can meet somewhere "halfway" in town. I got back yesterday and enjoyed the rally. Not sure if I'll go back for the next one in Apr of 2022. Depends on the weather and other interests. Send me a private message and we can exchange email and phone numbers for direct contact.

DJ
DJ

DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:00 am

Hello! I'm still alive. Just thought I'd check in.

Like everyone, I've just been coping with Covid-19. I'm triple vaxxed, and wearing a mask at Walmart. ;)

I haven't done any camping in the last few years, but I'm getting the itch. I've added and all-wheel drive crossover to my garage, which is better suited to camping than my MINI. I don't see myself building or buying another teardrop any time soon, because I don't have a place to put it. The garage is full.

Anyway, Happy Hollidays to everyone. :D

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DJ Davis » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 am

CD,

Howdy! I've been checking the South Central link for "sign of life" regularly, but it's been quiet. I reached out to two-bits, our chapter director, a while back and he said he's been busy with other things. I don't know where you're located, but if I'd known we'd have this unusually warm weather here in the San Antonio, TX area lately, I'd have kept camping for a few more weeks!

Well, maybe our exchange on the site will get a few others to pipe up.

Merry Christmas,

DJ
DJ

DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:43 pm

Hello DJ. I am in Frisco. Thomas is in East Texas, but not too far from DFW. I need to get in touch with him.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:46 pm

caseydog wrote:Hello DJ. I am in Frisco. Thomas is in East Texas, but not too far from DFW. I need to get in touch with him.

CD

Good to hear from you, CD!

I can't remember when - I think it was about a year ago - I drove out to see Thomas to give him our teardrop. He's got quite a nice property in East Texas.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Chief-John » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:44 pm

After 1st outing with the 'new' cargo/camper conversion, I'm looking at changes from bedding and scooter tie-downs to trailer brakes and air bags to help with tongue weight...
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:15 am

It was good meeting you, John.
Chief-John wrote:After 1st outing with the 'new' cargo/camper conversion, I'm looking at changes from bedding and scooter tie-downs to trailer brakes and air bags to help with tongue weight...

Nothing like a camping trip to find out what your camper needs. :D

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to South Central