Registration from utility trailer to RV

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Registration from utility trailer to RV

Postby jaimefg17 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:43 pm

Hi,

I have a utility trailer with plate and now I want to use it to build my own DIY Teardrop. Has anyone gone to the process of getting this done at the MVD, is it worth it to change it to an RV?
jaimefg17
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Registration from utility trailer to RV

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:22 pm

I'm not planning to but also plan to make teardrop cabin removable.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:46 am

I registered my tear as an RV in Texas, which doesn't necessarily apply in NM. The main reason being that I got a certificate of title. I also get to pay an annual registration (about $70) that a utility trailer wouldn't. Had to go to the DMV and get a VIN number assigned to my homebuilt. Jump through the hoop, YMMV, hope this is some help.

You can read all about it at https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1099201#p1099201. What a PITA.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby philpom » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:01 pm

When I bought my trailer (kit) I registered it at the local tax office as the utility trailer it was. Got plates and certificate of ownership, it came with a VIN. I have no plans to change that, it's being very utilitarian in it function as my tiny camper.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby lfhoward » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Same here. Mine was registered as a utility trailer before I built the top on it. With the amount of stuff I still haul using this trailer (which also happens to convert to a camper), I have no problem with the utility trailer designation.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:53 pm

The title is a nice thing to have BUT you don't need to register it as an RV, any utility trailer can be registered to have a title but as posted it is a pain to get a VIN assigned. Also, trying to "convert" to an RV designation is going to be you fighting against the DMV to give you more work to do. Most of them never heard of a teardrop and there is no set process for the procedure, you will be creating alot of headache for nothing. Keep as a "trailer" and get a title in case you ever sell to someone who is scared but personally I have always done the regular old trailer registration. To answer your question, No, it is not worth it.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Mark Gunter » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:14 am

As soon as I got the floor on my trailer, I took it to the local landfill to get it weighed, then went to county tax assessor to get it licensed. I discovered by the end of that session that I could get it registered with no VIN or title and be legal as long as it remained under 4,000 lbs. As I have no intention of selling, I concluded this was perfect, and I walked out with the plate.

All that was required was the weight certificate, pictures proving it was home built, and filling a form in which I guessed at a finished weight of 1,900 lbs. - hopefully I’ll be well under that - but as long as I don’t exceed 4,000 I’m legal.
I'm a happy man, I love my life!

My Gunter Li’l Standy build journal:
https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75291
Mark Gunter
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark Gunter » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:16 am

@ cap’n telescope - I began reading of your ordeal from your link with great interest, looking forward to reading the whole thread soon
I'm a happy man, I love my life!

My Gunter Li’l Standy build journal:
https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75291
Mark Gunter
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jaimefg17 » Wed May 17, 2023 9:15 am

Thank you guys, I’ll keep it as a utility trailer for now. It seems the laws are pretty okay with a utility plates in New Mexico, have anyone taken their trailer around the Country and had any problems with the highway patrol?
Last edited by jaimefg17 on Wed May 17, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaimefg17
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Wed May 17, 2023 9:17 am

jaimefg17 wrote:Thank you guys, I’ll keep it as a utility trailer for now. It seems the law is pretty okay with a utility plate in New Mexico, have anyone taken their trailer around the Country and had any problems with the highway patrol?

I haven't personally but Brad and plenty of others have driven all the way up to Alaska and back to Texas and I've never heard of anyone posting an issue
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby twisted lines » Wed May 17, 2023 10:41 am

jaimefg17 wrote:Thank you guys, I’ll keep it as a utility trailer for now. It seems the laws are pretty okay with a utility plates in New Mexico, have anyone taken their trailer around the Country and had any problems with the highway patrol?

Oregon we need No plate :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:54 am

jaimefg17, Howdy;

Just found this. I used the idea that I may sell it or pass on and the next owner will need to
update the registration etc. and if I just keep my CT titled as a Utility trailer there is going to
be less hassle all around. Plus I can also get the extended registration so mine was reg. in 2014
and it goes till 2034. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to South Central