Scheduling gatherings for 2007

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:07 pm

Jack,

I don't like the beach, even if you go all the way down to S. Padre near Port Isabel. It's still salty, sandy, the wind blows, and you are right about the things in the water...what won't eatcha, will probably stingya!
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:05 pm

asianflava wrote:Not that the FL beaches are anything like what I saw in the Bahamas, but at least they weren't brown.

The Florida beaches also have much nicer scenery. :R
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:06 pm

steve wolverton wrote:
asianflava wrote:Not that the FL beaches are anything like what I saw in the Bahamas, but at least they weren't brown.

The Florida beaches also have much nicer scenery. :R

Yeah, no oil rigs.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kathleen » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:33 pm

Not necessary if you go to the beach= like in the TX area. The gulf keeps it nice
not too hot like in the valleys
I would also not mind Big Bend National Park anytime but in the summer-- soaking in the hot springs....ahhhh
I also have 10 acres in terlingua that people can boondock on if they want to stay longer
It's on a paved road
Kathleen

SteveH wrote:My only suggestion is, if we are going to have one in the South, let's do it early in the year because of the heat. :thumbsup:
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:13 pm

Kathleen wrote:I would also not mind Big Bend National Park anytime but in the summer

:thumbsup: That's a long drive for most people, but I think that Big Bend has the best scenery in Texas. I love that area - went to school at Sul Ross. :) I'm taking a friend out there this Christmas, she's really excited from the pictures I've shown her of the area.

Kathleen wrote:I also have 10 acres in terlingua that people can boondock on if they want to stay longer

Very cool offer. I'm not one for boondocking in my setup, but still that's very considerate. BTW, you out in the West Texas area now?
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

GATHERINGS

Postby CPASPARKS » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Steve,
What years did you go to Sul Ross?

I lived there from 1985 to 1988. I lived on Harrison at the foot of SRSU for a year and then lived on the east side of the "A" mountain heading south to BBNP for two years.

I loved it...but my wife was too homesick.
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Re: GATHERINGS

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:45 pm

CPASPARKS wrote:What years did you go to Sul Ross?

1997-2000.

CPASPARKS wrote:I lived there from 1985 to 1988. I lived on Harrison at the foot of SRSU for a year and then lived on the east side of the "A" mountain heading south to BBNP for two years.

I know the "A" mountain very well. 45 minutes up it on my bike, and about 3 minutes to get down. :)

I loved Alpine, and I'd go back in a heartbeat. I lived on Holland near the Railroad Blues. Not sure if it was there in 85-88 though? I also worked at the state park in Fort Davis.

I've got a friend teaching at Sul Ross now. I'd love to go back and teach there - someday...
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

ALPINE

Postby CPASPARKS » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:43 pm

I would move back also.

Railroad Blues opened up when I was living there. It was a restaurant by day and a club by night. We went there a lot in the day and at night.

I worked for a CPA firm out of El Paso and I traveled with my job extensively throughout the Big Bend. One of the most interesting times in my life.
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:27 am

madjack Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:34 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve, I was thinking of a summer gathering somewhere in the mountains in northern or western Arkansas...we run a better chance of tolerable weather up thataway than down thisaway during the summer months....

Pat, somewhere around Wilhemina would be the most convenient to the larger # of folks...never been to Devils Den but do hear it is nice...keep in mind that at the LCG we had 40 some odd sites reserved so we need to find a nice place that will accomodate a fair crowd ....
madjack

I will check on Wilemina Park area. Devils Den is great late spring and early summer. Mt. Nebo is cool in the summer. I wish Mt. Magazine ( New lodge/resturant/hang-gliding area and cabins just a year old ) had more campsites, it's great during the hot part of the summer and 10 to 15 deg's cooler with great views as does Mt. Nebo State Park ( with more campsite and a common ) area.

:thumbsup:

Pat

Checking Arkansas Mountain State Campgrounds website.

Edited 12-4-2006 02:27
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TxTeardropGuy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:24 pm

For all you guys that don't like Texas beaches you should have beem on Padre Island National Seashore over Thanksgiving. The water was crystal clear & 68 degrees. temps in the high 70s and low 80s during the day and 60s at night. Arkansas sounds good in June.
TxTeardropGuy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Gary and I definitely want to be members of your group even if we are in Missouri !!! Working at a school, I have time off from the 15 of March to about the 27th (spring break) ... so hopefully there will be something going on then (even if its a torrential rain in Dallas like last March !!). I will have a couple of weeks off in June ... but already have Minden penciled in then. We have summer school at the college but only Tues-Wed-Thurs ... so can get a lot of 4-day weekends if something isnt too far away.
And also have Mad Jack's birthday party #2 set aside for next October. So you guys can plan on seeing a lot of us (and all my dutch ovens) !!!
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:09 pm

TxTeardropGuy wrote:For all you guys that don't like Texas beaches you should have beem on Padre Island National Seashore over Thanksgiving. The water was crystal clear & 68 degrees. temps in the high 70s and low 80s during the day and 60s at night. Arkansas sounds good in June.

We camp at PINS every October though I didn't go this year. A campout there would be nice but there are NO facilities.

We tent camp about 45miles down the beach. We only stay for 2 nights, just enough to annoy you but not too much to where you don't want to come back. We shower at the welcome center before driving home. After all that sand and salt, that is the BEST shower.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Changer » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:58 am

I don't care if it's brown, I want to go camp on the beach! :P Although I vote for Mustang Island, even if it IS in the middle of nowhere. :P
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Ar. would be a great place to camp

Postby doitright » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:59 am

I live in West Tn. but would love to go to a gathering in Ar. Ar. has some great campgrounds good for spring summer or fall. I love North Ar. But would travel any place in the state to a gathering. We had a Scotty gathering last spring in North Ar. and it was great A little cool, windy, and rainy but great. I will be trying to go to Ar. this weekend to look at some vintage campers .
Kevin
1959 rear door Scotty
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Kathleen » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:35 pm

No, I live in the Austin, TX area--it is an 8 hour drive for me.
My 10 acres has a steel 20X20 rain catchment roof--11feet high that slants to 10 feet for shade with 1550 gallon water tank. I also have a phone and DSL/Broadband with a router for those that have their laptops with them.
And I also have a restroom on the property.
Plus I belong to Terlingua Ranch POA so have use of their pool to offer also. The pool area (10 miles away) has a bathhouse with restroom and showers too. So it is a step above boondocking ;-)
Kathleen

Very cool offer. I'm not one for boondocking in my setup, but still that's very considerate. BTW, you out in the West Texas area now?[/quote]
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to South Central