Scheduling gatherings for 2007

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Scheduling gatherings for 2007

Postby TxTeardropGuy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:07 pm

Just a thought for the group. Why don't we come up with a schedule for 2007 that sets quarterly gatherings that are scattered around the region so everbody does'nt have to drive a long way and culminating in the SECOND annual Lake Bistineau gathering in October. I suggest gatherings in March, June, August and October. We could have informal gatherings in between. Any suggestions?
Geoffrey
TxTeardropGuy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Loader » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:19 am

I agree, good idea for planning. I would think this could allow for "spreading them out" a bit too.

Maybe something like having one in Palo Duro Canyon (West Texas), Lake Murray SP (South Central OK), either one up in Arkansas someplace or South Texas, then the one over at Lake Bisteneau.

I would suggest to try to share the driving resposnibiltiy a little bit, as much as I like to stay under 4 or 5 hours of driving, it's not fair to have the same group of people forced to drive 8+ hours to attend every gathering.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:36 am

So lets start setting some dates. We gotta do one at the beach. Some people from LA said they would come to one at Sea Rim SP or Galveston SP.
The new park at Matagorda is nice also. Lots of spaces. And close for the Houston and Hill country people.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:59 am

Good idea....

My driving time depends on the gathering... like where and weather and how long I'll stay.

I agree it could be good to concentrate on N S E W ending with the ultimate teardrop gathering on MadJacks bday at Lake Bistineau on the weekend of Oct 26-28, 2007.

Remember there is some discussion of ITG in June or July too.... we'll have to convoy for that one !!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby davel » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:21 pm

Great idea. Let's get them planned. :thumbsup:
davel
Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:36 pm

Scheduling quarterly gatherings in the various areas of South Central is a good way to divide out the drive time amongst everyone. It will give us a chance to move things around in our schedules in order to make the trips.

I think the option of impromptu "mini-meets" should remain though. That way if someone plans to camp at, say Lake Murray in January and wants to invite others to tag along, it's okay (It's kind of like saying, "Hey, I am going to Wal-mart; does anyone want to go along? :lol: ". Remember, its about sharing the great outdoors! Let's not get too formal.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:09 pm

I bet a bunch of us from the N Central will be happy to plan for a day at the beach with you. Any time in winter is good. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

2007 GATHERING

Postby CPASPARKS » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:09 am

I agree. Loader has a good idea about Palo Duro Canyon.

It is great. One of our favorites. If scheduled in the summer...they have an outdoor theater production that I am sure a lot of campers would enjoy.
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:38 am

I think it is a great idea...we just need 5 quarters 'cause Texas is so(damned) big, that we need to have one at the beach and one elsewhere...we also need some of the Arkansas folks to put one together at someplace like PetitJean, Lake Ouachita, Queen Wilhemina or Magazine Mt...as for me, I will certainly be doing a 2nd LCG in October at Lake Bistineau...that was too much fun, not to do again...and again...and again........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby ARKPAT » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:12 am

Madjack I will check around in Arkansas for some places. I will check Mt. Mebo SP ( 18 campsites ). Plenty of room for a gathering. Queen Wilhemina ( 35 campsites ) is good place also for a gathering I will take a trip down and check out the all the sites one weekend. The problem might be reservations; but I will check on that. Magazine Mt. / Blue Mt. SP are great hot summer camping. The top of Magazine Mt. have only a few campsites 18 listed. Devil Den State Park ( 144 campsites but scattered 44 in one area ) nice hilly tree covered valley with a stream running thru and walking / hiking / biking / hourse trails in the foot hills of the Ozarks.

:thumbsup:

Pat

Checking Arkansas Mountain State Campgrounds website.
Edited 12-4-2006 02:27
Last edited by ARKPAT on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:00 am

My only suggestion is, if we are going to have one in the South, let's do it early in the year because of the heat. :thumbsup:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:34 pm

SteveH wrote:My only suggestion is, if we are going to have one in the South, let's do it early in the year because of the heat. :thumbsup:

Steve, I was thinking of a summer gathering somewhere in the mountains in northern or western Arkansas...we run a better chance of tolerable weather up thataway than down thisaway during the summer months....

Pat, somewhere around Wilhemina would be the most convenient to the larger # of folks...never been to Devils Den but do hear it is nice...keep in mind that at the LCG we had 40 some odd sites reserved so we need to find a nice place that will accomodate a fair crowd

SteveT, a late winter or early spring gathering somewhere on the coast would be nice...that new Matagorda CG looks nice but I remember the bay and beaches being kinda silty/dirty (it's been 30years since last visit)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:57 pm

I remember the bay and beaches being kinda silty/dirty

Jack,

I can't belive you said that! The Texas beaches are wonderful. Wonderful, that is, if you don't mind, humidity, salt, sand, and mosquitoes. :lol:

I forgot the wind...that's nice too.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:24 pm

SteveH wrote:
I remember the bay and beaches being kinda silty/dirty

Jack,

I can't belive you said that! The Texas beaches are wonderful. Wonderful, that is, if you don't mind, humidity, salt, sand, and mosquitoes. :lol:

I forgot the wind...that's nice too.

Steve, I am not a beach/salt water person...it tastes bad, stings your eyes and there are things out there that will eatcha :R ...Always thought Galveston was nasty and Matagorda not much better...however, when ya get down to Aransas Pass/Mustang/Padre Island, the beaches and the water gets real purdy :thumbsup: but they are a long way from anywhere (except maybe you and Tony)
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:11 pm

Galveston IS nasty. The first time the wife and I went there we said, "Ewww the water is brown, the beach is also brown." Then a little further down, "Ewwww there are people swimming in it."

Having grown up in FL, we have a slightly different preception of what a becah should be like. Not that the FL beaches are anything like what I saw in the Bahamas, but at least they weren't brown.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to South Central