IT TIME TO START THINKING LICENSE PLATE

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

IT TIME TO START THINKING LICENSE PLATE

Postby ChickenFoot » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Hello follow Texans, it is time for me to start thinking about get a road license for my new teardrop that is in the final stages of completion. What hoops will I need to jump through to get this done. Any help would be great. :thinking:
ChickenFoot
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:01 pm

No hoops. Just tell them you want to register a home made trailer. They will ask you how many #'s it can haul. You tell them 1000, Show your TV insurance, give them $ and they give you tags.
No inspection or anything.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby ChickenFoot » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:08 pm

Hey Sonetpro, Let me ask ya question. What if you use a already licensed utility trailer to build on would you need to get another license for the teardrop?
ChickenFoot
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:18 pm

No you can use the same plate. You are basically pulling the same trailer with a box on it.
Where are you in Conroe? I'm 20 minutes from there.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:27 pm

Yep, just like Sonetpro says. And, if they ask you any more about the trailer, say it is a UTILITY trailer. If you tell them it is a camping trailer, then they will want to lisence it as a TRAVEL trailer, which is a whole other can of worms, and by Texas' definition, it is not a travel trailer. A Travel trailer MUST be titled, and requires a VIN#, manufacturer, safety inspection, and on, and on, and.........

Texas defines a travel trailer as a trailer that has permanent living quarters and plumbing.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ChickenFoot » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:50 pm

Hey Sonetpro and SteveH thanks for the info. I live Just south of Conroe off of FM242 toward Porter.
ChickenFoot
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:48 am

I registered mine as a Travel Trailer, it was a bit of a PITA but I wanted to do it this way so that I'd have a title. I forgot the exact sequence since it was a while back.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby gyroguy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:33 pm

Okay, here's the detailed procedure to get Texas license plates for your new travel trailer. I did this with the Crocodile Tear in October 2006, so the procedure should be fairly recent.

If you don’t know how to license your trailer, contact your state’s Department of Transportation and the county assessor's office where you get license plates for your cars or trucks. In Texas, there are several forms to fill out, and it isn’t a simple process.

Here's how:

1. Get the following form from the TXDOT Regional Office:
-- Texas DOT Form 68A, "Application for Assigned or Reassigned Number"
-- Request them to assign you a trailer VIN number on their form 68-N

2. Get these forms from County Tax Assessor-collector's Office (license plate office)
- Form 130-U "Application for Texas Certificate of Title"
- Form VTR-305-A Prescribed Form for Statement of Fact for Ownership of Homemade/Shopmade Trailer, Semitrailer, or Travel Trailer"
- Form VTR-141 ""Travel Trailer" or "Park Model Trailer" Verification"

And here's what happened:

3. Contacted Texas Dept. of Public Safety, Motor Vehicle Theft. A State Trooper arranged to come to my home 10/20/06 to do trailer inspection.

4. State Trooper Anti-Theft Unit inspected trailer and determined that it was not stolen. The 8’6” length became a 10’8” length with the tongue added.

FYI, Texas State Trooper who inspected mine said there was no way I could legally license it in Texas as a utility trailer. It fits into category of full trailers over 4000lbs empty weight, semi-trailers over 4000lbs gross weight, and travel trailers.

I mentioned it had no plumbing so it didn't fit the "travel trailer" definition, but that didn't matter. Probably wouldn't matter to the State Trooper who pulls you over for having a utility trailer license plate on your travel trailer, either. Cops don't split hairs.

5. After that, I sent paperwork to TXDOT in Longview TX to get a vehicle number. Paperwork included:
-- Texas DOT Form 68A, on which the State Trooper filled out the bottom half.
-- Texas DOT Form 68A, the top half of which I filled out and got notarized at the bank.
-- Picture of the trailer.
-- $2 money order made out to Texas DOT Vehicle Titles and Registration.
-- All of the above mailed to TX DOT Longview Regional Office, 1301 Karnes Road, Longview TX 75604.

6. Texas DOT in Longview sent me a new Vehicle Number: HT110891
-- I stamped the vehicle number on the trailer frame on the right front side.

7. I took the trailer to Fuller’s Towing in Canton and got it weighed for $6 = 860 lbs w/battery. They made out an empty weight slip.

8. I took the following to the Van Zandt County Tax Assessor’s Office:

-- Completed, notarized TX DOT Form 68A, with the assigned Vehicle Number HT110891

-- Empty weight slip from certified scale.

-- Another photo of the trailer

-- Completed TX DOT Form 130-U, “Application for Texas Certificate of Title.”

-- Completed TX DOT Form VTR-305-A “Prescribed Form for Statement of Fact for Ownership of Momemade/Shopmade Trailer, Semitrailer, or Travel Trailer.”

-- Completed TX DOT Form VTR-141, “Travel Trailer or Park Model Trailer Verification.”

9. After crossing their palms with silver, they issued me Texas trailer license plates. Ta! Ta!

10. I learned that because I was trying to follow the Texas laws, everyone from a Texas state trooper to the clerk in the County Assessor’s Office was willing to help me. Hope this helps you.

For a look at the Crocodile Tear and more info, go to <www.crocodiletear.com>
For build pix of Crocodile Tear, completed 10/26/06 -- Look at my album or new website <www.crocodiletear.com> (website has more info)
gyroguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby spadman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:00 pm

what about in oklahoma? i have a utility trailer and have never tagged it. am i legal or have i just been lucky to have never been at the impound lot picking it up? :thinking:
spadman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby reo-ron » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:10 am

Well according to my local Oklahoma Tag Office, utility trailers used for personal use do not require a tag, ( thats a license plate for you Texans) . However, a travel trailer of any sort does require a tag. I got the Form761A ( Affidavit of Assembly and Ownership for Automobile/Truck/Travel Trailer) and have tried to fill it out and sumbitted the form and numerous reciepts to OKC via my local tag office and got NO WHERE! The form is not very much help for a trailer and I didn't explain enough of something and the whole mess was returned asking for info that was not really clear on what they wanted. Sooo I am currently doing as some of my fellow OKIE teardroppers and running all over the country with no tag. If stopped I'm just gonna plead dumb Okie, I thought it was a utility trailer! If your building it on a "store bought" frame you might have better luck. As for me, I'll try again as I would like to have a title and tag because it will be for sale when I finish my Modernistic Cub Replica, and I don't want the next owner to have any hassels if they live in another state.
Ron in Tulsa- TAGLESS
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Postby Woodyperk6 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:43 pm

I licensed my TD as a travel trailer. I did everything gyroguy did except I had to pull mine to the Tarrant Co. Sherrif Dept. Auto Theft Division. That was the only way I could get someone to look at to determine the trailer frame was homebuilt & not stolen.

Woody
Woody & Tammy

One day closer.
Woodyperk6
Platinum Donating Member

Just got our registered as a travel trailer today

Postby starleen2 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:27 pm

FYI – Just got our registered as a travel trailer today.

I purchased a trailer from TSC (4X8 no floor) to build our camper. I registered the trailer to get it legal to haul stuff for the build. Since this trailer was already registered as a “utility trailer”, I was told by a local law enforcement officer that since I had built an enclosure on it which could be identified as a quasi RV, then I would be an easy target for a reason to be pulled over since the plate were for a utility trailer. He said, “Can you spell I-M-P-O-U-N-D.” :shock: So off I went to join the wonders of vehicle registration changes.

Since the trailer was originally registered as a light utility trailer, no title was required. But since TSC had sold the trailer, I had a certificate of origin AND a VIN number. That VIN number was also on the trailer registration. My paper trail for the VIN number was established.
However IF… you purchased your trailer…. And IF your trailer has a VIN already on it…. And if this VIN is on the trailer registration>>>THEN you can skip the inspection by the motor vehicle theft unit along with VIN assignment and proceed with Form VTR-61, Rebuilt Affidavit from your county office.

Form VTR-61, Rebuilt Affidavit allows the re-titling of a registered utility trailer to a travel trailer. Mention that the trailer was reconstructed and a provide a short description of the construction – I put “built a small camper on the trailer” :D

Your trailer will need to be inspected by a local vehicle inspector to provide it with an ID sticker (AKA green stamp) which will need to be presented to the county clerk :roll:

Show your Empty weight slip from certified scale.

photo of the trailer

Completed TX DOT Form 130-U, “Application for Texas Certificate of Title.”

Completed TX DOT Form VTR-141, “Travel Trailer or Park Model Trailer Verification.”

Now I have a title for my newly crowned “travel trailer” wearing it’s badge of honor with a new plate, inspection sticker, and piece of mind.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:25 am

The Sherriff's Deputy came to the house to inspect my trailer. I was still asleep so my wife showed him the trailer. I didn't expect him to come so soon, I made an appt for the following week but he came the next day.

From what she told me, he was only interested in the frame. She said that he looked underneath and said, "Oh, it's a custom frame." he asked where tha axle came from and she said that I bought it. He didn't ask for a receipt but I had it ready.

I don't know if this experience is typical so your mileage may vary.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:36 pm

Hey gyroguy,
thanks for posting your details for getting a title for your teardrop.

I printed your list and got busy.

I started the process today for the black teardrop with flames.
Our local DPS inspector is out on extended medical leave so I am taking teardrop to Beaumont next week to be inspected. We can then go to TxDOT in Beaumont and go ahead and get our VIN #. The next day I can go to our local tax office and complete paperwork for title.

We are selling the black teardrop and want it to be titled before it has new owners.

Thanks again for posting the details. I am keeping the list for future use.

Linda and Charles
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby reo-ron » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:19 pm

Well, yesterday was the magic day !!!! I actually have a license and registration for my home built teardrop and once the Tag Office inspects the assigned VIN# being stamped into "the frame rail in not less than 1/4" numbers", I'll recieve my Official OKIE title. It only took about 6 months, 2 tries and $151.00, and get this, they want $91.00 to renew the tag next year on a trailer they list as a 2007 valued at $2387.00. Boy I wish I HAD A NEW $250,000.00 MOTOR HOME! I could support the state economy just on the fees.
REO-Ron
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Next

Return to South Central