"Rita" Do we need to rethink this Weekend?

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Postby davel » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:34 am

Peg,

That's great. Cindy and I will be over there after school today. We'll head for that area.
davel
Donating Member

Postby bg » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:57 pm

Inks Lake SP — September 22–25, 2005 — Park Closure — We are evacuating the park in preparation of Hurricane Rita and will be closed through September 25 or possibly longer. (512) 793-2223.

I'll drop by Cedar Hill tommorrow PM. Figure the 4 miles drive won't hurt me.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby bg » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:24 pm

Got in about 30 minutes ago from meeting Dave, Cindy, Peg, Lenny, and Joanne. Lenny and Joanne will have a story for you guys :)

Oh, If by chance any of you guys in cedar hill need help, Give me a call at 469-231-5590
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby nubwon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:03 am

WHOAAAA what a ride that was. I'm in Lake Charles, La. Rita came aground just south of us. We are about 25 or 30 miles from the gulf coast, the storm suge stopped about 3 miles south of us. Almost total destruction in Cameron, Holly Beach, Johnson's bayou. I work for the Fire Dept here so I had to Stay. I sent the wife and kids off. They went to Durant Oklahoma, normally an 8 hr drive. She was on the road for 27 hrs. The Fire Dept evacuated to Oberlin La. About 40 miles north of Lake Charles. We got back at 9:30 am Saturday. Spent all day clearing streets and doing search and rescue. I finally made it home to see if anything survived the storm. I had prepared myself to possibly not have a house, travel trailer, or teardrop. We were lucky, all were still standing, just a little weather beaten lol. We were without electricity for 11 days at the house. Things are finally getting back to normal now (whatever that is) The teardrop only had a little damage to it. Lost the roof vent, some water got in, was able to air it out. Some chaffing on the top edge but nothing some bondo won't take care of. We are hoping to one day finish the teardrop (whichis now on hold until the repairs to the home are done) and maybe meet some of you fine folks at one of the texas meets. will try to post a cpl pics of the teardrop
Before Rita

After Rita

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff...
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:21 am

Nub...good to hear from ya buddy...wondered how y'all had faired...I knew y'all took a pretty hard hit down there...at least you still have house, TD, camper and best of all family.
Ya got till spring to get things cleaned up and ready for camping, so just take a deep breath and as they say "get 'er done" :D
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby nubwon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:43 am

Well actually madjack, we did lose the travel trailer. The free standing carport you see in the first pic ended up coming lose and ramming one of the legs in and out of the travel trailer several times. The insurance really paid off well for us ($4000.00 more than we paid for it 2 years ago) So we took that money, and some from all the overtime I worked right after the storm, and got us our first new rv. Its a pilgrim 278RLSS and best of all, its all paid for!!!

Our insurance adjuster just came out Friday 11-18-05. It will be another month or so before they cut us a check. We will have to replace our roof, patio cover, carport, a shed in the back yard that was taken out by a tree, some of the vinyl from the house, garage door, some fencing, and all the window screens, plus some painting to cover scratches everywhere lol. WE were truely blessed compaired to a lot of people around here. We lost a lot of shingles but no felt, so we had absolutely no water damage in the house. The Corp of Engineers came out and put us a blue roof (covered the whole house with a big blue tarp) so it will be good until we can get a roofing contractor out here. They say a lot of the contractors are backed up for months. The contractor that put up our patio cover said he is backed up for 2 years so we may have to wait a while for that lol. All in all, we did very well, Thanks for your concern.......NUB.....
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Postby Jolly Roger » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:30 pm

Sulphur here, nubwon. Really lucked out during this storm. Got some minor roof damage and my back yard was trashed, but that's about it.

On a different subject... has anyone considered a DEEP South Louisiana event? There are some great places between Vinton and Lafayette that would be great. It would surely give those Yankees... haha... a taste of the Real Louisiana and not the one they see on TV.

Big community pot of Gumbo and Jambalaya... Hell, maybe even crawfish.

Paul
Jolly Roger
Jolly Roger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:38 pm

Hey Paul,
Can you suggest a specific location? I have only been to Lake Charles as a vendor at the Kwanis Craft show in the civic center in November. I sure missed coming this year. I have met some super nice folks in Lake Charles. Otherwise we have only passed through Louisiana a few times.
Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:25 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:Sulphur here, nubwon. Really lucked out during this storm. Got some minor roof damage and my back yard was trashed, but that's about it.

On a different subject... has anyone considered a DEEP South Louisiana event? There are some great places between Vinton and Lafayette that would be great. It would surely give those Yankees... haha... a taste of the Real Louisiana and not the one they see on TV.

Big community pot of Gumbo and Jambalaya... Hell, maybe even crawfish.

Paul
Jolly Roger

Hello Paul,

Just wanted to say I was in Sulphur early last month (November) at an RC helicopter funfly with the teardrop. Wish I had realised you were there...I'd come by and visited.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby nubwon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:09 pm

OK Paul, now you made me hungry lol. I'm still not finished with my tear yet.( skin, wheels and tires, power converter) Right now all of our extra $$$ seems to be going into rita cleanup and repairs, but i'd love to have a Louisiana meet, with everyone else invited. Ya'll name a time and place, and if nothing else, we can come in our new travel trailer ( again, thanks to rita). Linda, my brother n law has been making the show curcuit for a few years. He makes hand crafted wooden lures. Have you met him? Sniders lures.......NUB......
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Postby nubwon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:17 pm

Hey Linda, by the way, Connie ( my bride) said to tell you she and the rest of my family evacuated to Durant Oklahoma for rita. They left here that thursday morning at 11:30 am, and stopped in Lufkin on Friday morning at 5:00 am at a truck stop on the north side of the loop to sleep for 2 hours. 27 hour trip to Oklahoma, man I'm glad i had to stay and work. I think that drive would have been worse for me than the storm lol....NUB.....
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to South Central