WASHINGTON STATE PATROL, Inspection & Trailer Requireme

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Re: WASHINGTON STATE PATROL, Inspection & Trailer Requireme

Postby JasenC » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:57 pm

Reading through all the state BS.
Am I reading this right, I need to submit plans to L&I, have inspections done as if I'm building a house plus have a licensed plumber and electrician do my fresh/gray water/sink/faucet and 12v electrical system, propane stove and on demand W/H so I can get my little L&I sticker of approval?

By the looks of it all the fees will cost nearly as much as my build.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:28 am

Holy labyrinth of bureaucratic nonsense, Batman! Utter lunacy... and I thought the DMV in Minnesota was bad.

About 20 years ago I was involved with a Boy Scout troop that was sponsored by my church. Ultimately the troop membership dwindled and there weren't enough members to recharter. The church, who technically owned the troop and all of its equipment, told me to dispose of it all however I saw fit. (The one thing I really regret was a large fantastic cast iron skillet, which I left in the church kitchen.) One item was a ratty 4x4x8 utility trailer. No one wanted it. I had no idea where the title was or who had it. I went down to the local license center and told the nice lady I had a small homebuilt utility trailer and how do I go about registering it?

She:"What is it made of?"
Me:"Oh, an old axle from the junkyard, wooden sides with aluminum skin, plywood floor, wheels and tires from Fleet Farm..."
She:"Did you build it?"
Me, looking down at the floor..."Um, yes...?"
She:"OK. That'll be $XX.xx, here is a permanent registration sticker that goes on the tongue and your title will come in the mail in 4-6 weeks."
Me:" :shock: :? :frightened: "

I happened to have the thing with me and she had no interest in even looking at it. I was stunned.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby JasenC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:46 pm

It can get pretty thick here for sure. I have a feeling most of the state's drivel is for manufacturers, I'll have to give them a call and sort it out, I just need to be in my zen spot to deal with their circle of confusion and total lack of knowledge. I have been round and round with the Seattle building dept. plenty of times, it's just so tiring.
Being in residential construction I can meet all that BS, I can draw the plans myself plus my phone is full of plumbers and electricians numbers, I'm sure a case of beer and a burger would lure them in.

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:45 pm

Its a pretty simple procedure but with your doubts I’d recommend visiting your local Washington state patrol inspection station and get the skinny from one of the inspectors.
I’ve registered 6 teardrops in Washington state and it was basically simple.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby JasenC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:42 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Its a pretty simple procedure but with your doubts I’d recommend visiting your local Washington state patrol inspection station and get the skinny from one of the inspectors.
I’ve registered 6 teardrops in Washington state and it was basically simple.
:D Danny

Thanks Danny.
Once I chewed on it for awhile today the GovCo gibberish does sound like all those hopes are for manufacturing.
I double checked, they moved the King co inspection station from Shoreline to Bellevue and of course I don't have a project on the eastside right now, I'll give them a jingle.

JasenC
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to North West