SW Idaho Overlanding Adventures

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

SW Idaho Overlanding Adventures

Postby ghcoe » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:22 pm

Hello.

My name is George and you probably have seen some of my SW Idaho Overlanding YouTube videos posted up here. Oddly out of all the forums that I post to, TNTTT is almost always at the top of external sites that come in to watch my videos. I do find this odd since I post to overlanding dedicated forums as well, but they do not perform as well as TNTTT. This got me to thinking that maybe some people here would want to attend some of these trips as well. I will however have to say most of my trips would require a fairly offroad capable trailer and tow vehicle. If you don't have an offroad capable trailer but have an offroad capable vehicle you are still welcome to come along. If you are interested here is a list of trips planned for this year. Dates and trips are subject to change so check back with the forum as dates approach for more updates. Also, there may be other trips that may come up. I will update the list if that should happen.

April 1,2 West Side Story 140 Miles Owyhee, Oregon to Rome, Oregon

What is the story? I don't know. I have not done it yet, but hopefully it is a story of fun and adventure.

Starting in Owyhee, Oregon and heading south, I will stay on the west side of the Owyhee River. It will be a long day on the trail with a night on the banks of the Owyhee. Then it is back out to finish the trip at Rome, Oregon. Day 2 will also be a long day on the trail. I planned on two days out, but you may want to take an extra day off to recover from the trip. I don't think we will hit Rome till midafternoon.

Roads could be muddy or dusty but should be fairly straight forward. Could be some technical stuff for short distances. Good tires are recommended. There will be 140 miles between fuel stops. This does not seem too far, but road conditions can make for long days on the trail so be prepared.

May 20,21 HooDoos! 72 Miles Bliss, Idaho to Bliss, Idaho.

Heading back to a cool camping spot with HooDoos. Before we get there though we have to drive some roads. I have 3 roads to choose from. Which road will we take? I don't know. Whichever one gets us through. I hope it is the first one since it looks to be pretty interesting. Even the second one looks pretty good. The last one could be boring, but hey it will get us to the cool camp spot.

Starting in Bliss, Idaho we head out into the unknown and hope for a road that will get us through to our camping spot destination. Road conditions could get a bit rough in spots, but I cannot tell for sure. If road conditions get too rough, there are 2 other alternate routes to explore. Plan on a full day on the trail. It is only 38 miles to camp, but it might be a rough trip to get there. Next day will be another trail that should be straight forward as we head back into civilization.

I am going to say that good vehicle clearance will be needed for this trip. Good tires as well. I have no previous experience with these roads past a certain point, so road conditions are a guess at best past that point.

June 9,10,11 Lava Roads (Mordor 8.0) 98 Miles Shoshone, Idaho to camp spot (at this time)

I will be heading back to Mordor this year, but this time I am navigating the event. Originally this trip was to get to the Mordor event, but no event was planned this year. I can't let a good route go to waste, so the name has been changed to Mordor 8.0. As the original name implies, we will be driving some lava roads, or at least roads that go through lava fields.

Starting in Shoshone, Idaho we will head north and visit the Black Magic Canyon before heading into the first lava road. I hope this road is traversable if not there is the backup plan. Then if all goes well, we will head north to the next lava road. At that point we turn east, and it will be lava fields for most of the rest of the trip to our camp spot at Cream Can Junction. This will probably be a good long day again on the trails. I expect most roads to be fairly straight forward, but high clearance would be a plus. Good tires as well since we may be driving over actual lava at some points.

I added an extra day to this trip, but day 2 I have nothing planned at this point. I do have some ideas though. You can come for the first day's adventures, or you can stay an extra day and see what pans out.

Sep 23,24 Leg 1 SW Idaho Overlanding's Idaho West East Route 205 miles

I am trying to build an Idaho West to East route that will include at least 90% dirt roads. Can it be done? Well leg one is a great start at 205 miles with only about 10 miles of pavement. This covers about a 3rd of the distance across Idaho at it' widest part. Am I making part of Idaho Overlanding History? I don't know, but if you want to be a pioneer of this route with me then let's see where this goes. Some previous trips this year are also, in part, routes that may be included in future legs of the SW Idaho Overlanding's Idaho East West Route.

Starting in Jordan Valley, Oregon we begin our journey east. Soon we will cross the Idaho border and the adventure begins. 205 miles of dirt and two track roads to our next fuel stop in Bliss, Idaho. I have the feeling this will be the most remote portion of the entire east/west route so be prepared.

Most of these roads should be pretty straight forward. Could be narrow brushy sections and certainly some rocky sections. High clearance would be helpful in some sections. Good tires again are recommended. There will be a few bail out points on this trip if conditions should deteriorate.

As always, these trips are not guided tours and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

I hope to see you on the trails! George.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: SW Idaho Overlanding Adventures

Postby Modstock » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:02 pm

Funny I was just about to pm ya and see what trips were gonna happen.
I haven't planned much yet this year but hoping to back up north. I'd like to do the Shoeshone trip.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:20 pm

Modstock wrote:Funny I was just about to pm ya and see what trips were gonna happen.
I haven't planned much yet this year but hoping to back up north. I'd like to do the Shoeshone trip.

Would be fun to have you along for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:19 pm

West Side Story
April 1,2
Time: 7:30 am
Meet Place: Owyhee Grocery 2499 OR-201, Nyssa, OR 97913
Destination: Owyhee desert/river
Estimated Duration: 2 days (Day 2 will be a long day on the trail so plan around that if you work Monday)
Estimated Distance: 140 miles (Owhyee, Or to Rome, Or)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

This trip will basically skirt the West side of the Owyhee River/Canyon from Owyhee, Oregon to Rome Oregon. Roads will be mostly two tracks and could get rough and steep at some locations. Maybe a bit technical at spots. Weather conditions could make things a bit slippery this time of year as well. We will evaluate the route as we go to allow for this as well. Be prepared for these conditions as best as possible.

Lambert's Dome.jpg
Lambert's Dome.jpg (211.63 KiB) Viewed 1046 times

If all goes well, we will visit an old ranch, camp at rivers edge on the Owyhee and visit Sands Basin.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:21 pm

Date change for this trip. Was May 20,21 now May 27,28

May 27,28 HooDoos! 72 Miles Bliss, Idaho to Bliss, Idaho.

Heading back to a cool camping spot with HooDoos. Before we get there though we have to drive some roads. I have 3 roads to choose from. Which road will we take? I don't know. Whichever one gets us through. I hope it is the first one since it looks to be pretty interesting. Even the second one looks pretty good. The last one could be boring, but hey it will get us to the cool camp spot.

Starting in Bliss, Idaho we head out into the unknown and hope for a road that will get us through to our camping spot destination. Road conditions could get a bit rough in spots, but I cannot tell for sure. If road conditions get too rough, there are 2 other alternate routes to explore. Plan on a full day on the trail. It is only 38 miles to camp, but it might be a rough trip to get there. Next day will be another trail that should be straight forward as we head back into civilization.

I am going to say that good vehicle clearance will be needed for this trip. Good tires as well. I have no previous experience with these roads past a certain point, so road conditions are a guess at best past that point.

I hope to see you on the trails! George.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:29 pm

ghcoe wrote:
Modstock wrote:Funny I was just about to pm ya and see what trips were gonna happen.

Would be fun to have you along for sure.
Looks like I won't be able to make it.
Sunday I came home on a flatbed 40 miles from home.
Pulling up a code that may have multiple sensors affected. Not sure when it'll be fixed.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:19 pm

Modstock wrote:
ghcoe wrote:

Would be fun to have you along for sure.
Looks like I won't be able to make it.
Sunday I came home on a flatbed 40 miles from home.
Pulling up a code that may have multiple sensors affected. Not sure when it'll be fixed.

That sucks. Hope it is a easy fix. What codes are you getting?
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:45 pm

PO1389
Something about a auto shutdown relay loosing a ground which maybe from a bad crank or cam sensors.
Might look at the harness for any broken wires.
Im hoping it's something simple. Looking on the web it could be a number of things. Image

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:31 pm

Yup! That does not sound like a good one to get. Hope it is a simple sensor swap out for you.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:14 pm

HooDoos!

May 27,28
Time: 7:30am Boise, 9:00am Bliss
Meet Place: Boise, Mr Gas Travel Center 10026 S Eisenman Rd, Boise, ID 83716. Bliss, Love's Travel Center 680 US-30, Bliss, ID 83314
Destination: Bennett Mountains
Estimated Duration: 2 days
Estimated Distance: 72 miles Bliss, Id to Bliss ID
Comms Channels: GRMS=17, CB=13

Picture to Post s.png
HooDoo's
Picture to Post s.png (554.61 KiB) Viewed 747 times

I am going to say that good vehicle clearance will be needed for this trip. Good tires as well. I have had some experience with the roads in this area, and I can say they are pretty poor. Rough and rocky so be prepared. Probably not safe for non-off road capable trailers as well.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:32 pm

Well, the Christmas/New Years season is over, and another year is here. Time to post up the trips planned for the year. As mentioned before, this year will be a bit slower. With trips planned now with the wife and a concentration on the West East Idaho Overland Route there really is not enough time as I would like for other opportunities.

Dec 27 Winter Wonderland VII:
Hard to believe it is 7 years now that I have planned a Winter Wonderland trip. This one starts in Grand View, Idaho and will make its way across the desert breaks to Bliss. This will be a 106-mile run from Grand View to Bliss. It is also a route verification for part of Leg 1 of the West East Idaho Overland Route. I have not been into this part of the desert before so it will be interesting to see what there is to see, if anything. Most of this route will be two tracks with some 3/4 season road travel. Being winter conditions, the trail can be muddy, wet, snowy, frozen, dry or a combination of all of the above. That is what makes the Winter Wonderland trips interesting. You never know what to expect out there.

April 26-29 Lava Roads II:
I did a lava roads trip last year that was part of the Mordor outing. It was an interesting trip through lava fields of South-Central Idaho. So, I thought I would do it again so Lava Roads II it is.

This outing is also a route verification for a big part of Leg 2 and most of Leg 3 of the West East Idaho Overland Route. I planned for 4 days on the trail, but it may only be 3. It just depends on how fast traveling these roads will take.

This trip is 250 miles. Starting in Gooding, Idaho and ending in Firth, Idaho. Most of this route is again 2 tracks with some 3/4 season roads here and there. Last year's Lava Roads trip we went in early June and the roads where pretty wet and muddy, and fun... Hard to say what we will find on this trip. I have driven only a small portion of this route in the past so it will be mostly new for me too.

Jun 1-? Mordor:
Yes, we have a date, but no length or details at this point.

October 19, 20 Bennett Trails:
This trip is a 75-mile trip starting in Glenn's Ferry, Idaho and ending in Bliss, Idaho. This will be a trip into the Bennett Mountain Rang
e. Don't let the low mileage fool you, because this trip might be quite rocky and or rough travels in some locations. There will be two short hikes included in this trip. One .6-mile round trip hike to a hidden homestead and a 1.25-mile round trip hike to a Petroglyph location. Should be a good trip to finish off the overlanding year.

And as usual, these are not guided tours and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the trails! George.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:50 pm

Lava Roads II April 26-29
Time: 9:30am
Meet Place: Valley Wide Country Store 2442 Main St, Gooding, ID 83330
Destination: Desert/Lava Fields
Estimated Duration: 4 days Estimated Distance: 250 miles, Gooding, ID to Firth, ID
Comms Channels: GRMS=17, CB=13​

Well, it is time to post the next planned trip. Lava Roads II is planned for April 26-29. This should prove to be a great time to be out in the desert. Traditional highs in the 60's and lows in the 30's. Perfect! It is also part of the rainy season so it could be a bit wet so be prepared. ​

This route will take in a big part of the Upcoming West East Idaho Overland Route (WEIOR). A route verification for part of Leg 2 and most of Leg 3. Starting in Gooding, Idaho and ending in Firth, Idaho. This will take in 250 miles of mostly dirt, gravel and two track roads once we leave pavement north of Gooding. Keep in mind that this is a one way trip and depending on where you start there may be a long drive back.

I have driven some of these roads. Probably about 1/4 of the entire route, the rest will be all new to me as well. There are a few places that may require reroutes. We will not know that until we get there though. Some of these roads are rocky and some are going through lava fields so good tires are going to be needed. Stock high clearance vehicles should be fine. Vehicles such as Subaru's may have issues. 4x4 will probably be needed especially if it is wet. Roads could be narrow and brushy at times. Usually they are not, just giving a heads up since I have not driven most of these roads.

I have allowed for 4 days on trail, but if we make good time we may only need 3 days. There are plenty of good break off points if you wanted to make this a shorter trip as well.

Hope to see you there! George.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:48 pm

Hi George
It's on my calendar, but will likely only be able to decide about a week before.
Stah tuned ..... :D
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby twisted lines » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:20 pm

ghcoe wrote:Hello.

I am tempted, Capable but gimpy; a few big rock's slow, in a side by side push it. :thinking:
And my walking sucks :frightened:

Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:01 pm

twisted lines wrote:
ghcoe wrote:Hello.

I am tempted, Capable but gimpy; a few big rock's slow, in a side by side push it. :thinking:
And my walking sucks :frightened:

Watch the dates. West Side Story was last year.
Lava Roads II is this April 26-29.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to North West