Sights and To-Do's On Way To Pamplin Grove IRG 2.0

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Sights and To-Do's On Way To Pamplin Grove IRG 2.0

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:29 am

So many people are making the Mendocino and IRG 2.0 gatherings their main summer trip and it's a BIG DEAL EXPERIENCE to look forward to! Can we compile and organize a list of all the wonderful suggestions of what to SEE and DO on the way under one thread? There have been some fantastic but sporadic postings spread out between three unrelated threads.

Please preface your suggestions at the top in all CAPS with a heading of: "IF COMING FROM THE NORTH" or, "IF COMING FROM THE SOUTH" or, WHILE IN TOWN" etc. It will make for much easier scrolling. I will try and "Quote" or "Cut and Paste" what has already been posted, but out of context it might be unclear. Any help in organizing and adding to this list will be appreciated by all.

Thanks much! This will be a wonderful resource guide even beyond the event. For me, this is how this forum REALLY shines. After your Teardrop has been built or purchased ... how do you best enjoy it?

Scott Goggin "Oasis Maker" :relaxing:
Last edited by Oasis Maker on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:10 am

MENDOCINO: "WHILE IN THE AREA"

tupelosue wrote:If Lee's gathering starts on the 20th, which is Sunday, some of you might want to plan a weekend stop-over in Napa. Here are a couple of options:

Skyline Wilderness Park
2201 Imola Avenue, Napa
Hours: Monday - Thursday 9 am to dark
Friday - Sunday 8 am to dark
http://www.ncfaa.com/skyline/skyline_park.htm

Skyline Park is an 850-acre wilderness area at the southeast corner of Napa. It's managed by a non-profit organization formed to protect the area. You'll find lots of wildlife, including deer and wild turkey.

Skyline has over 25 miles of trails for hiking, biking and equestrian use. The two-and-a-half mile main trail leads to Lake Marie at the eastern end. There's also an alternate route along the ridge trail which is a much better workout, but is not for those out of shape. From this trail on a clear day, you can see San Francisco Bay, Mt. Tamalpais and Mt. Diablo. Beautiful.

Skyline also offers picnic and barbecue areas, an RV park, and tent camping. Daily visitor's fee is $5.00 per vehicle for hiking and picnicking, $6.00 per vehicle for mountain bikes and horses. RV camping is $25-$27 per site, and tent sites $8.00. The best place to hike in Napa.

Calistoga
Bothe Napa Valley State Park

3801 North Saint Helena Highway (Highway 29)
Calistoga CA 94515
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=477

Bothé is just north of Bale Grist Mill, and the two parks are connected by a one-mile trail.

The nearly 2,000 acre park has excellent trails along Ritchey Creek and through beautiful redwood groves. It offers 50 camping areas either near redwoods along the creekside, or among the oaks and manzanita on sunny slopes above the creek. Campsites are also available for groups, hikers, bicyclists, and one site is fully wheelchair accessible. Picnic areas and an outdoor swimming pool are available.

The Native American Plant Garden, Wappo People, is located next to the Visitor Center. Many of these plants are still used today by the Wappo People.

Day use fees are $5.00 per car. Camping is $16 on the weekends, $15 during the week. It's a wonderful place for all ages and the loveliest public place to hike in the entire valley.

Sugar Loaf Ridge State Park
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=481

actually in Sonoma County, between Napa and Hwy 101. There is horseback riding here, also a very cool observatory with night viewings, called Robert Ferguson Observatory, www.rfo.org

All of these places are approx 2 hours from the Mendocino area, and would be a good place to camp and be within 1 hour of San Francisco, or hang out in the Napa Sonoma areas drinking wine and eating fine meals (not to be confused with hanging out in Mendocino and Pamplin drinking and eating...)
:lol:

Sue's original post was in reference to the Mendocino gathering starting on July 20th (which is a Sunday) and offered some great things to do and places to camp "While In The Area" if you get there early.

I'm not sure of the distances from the (proposed) Mendocino gathering location, but that or approximate drive time would be nice to include as well. Thanks Sue!

Scott G. "Oasis Maker" :relaxing:
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:56 am

HEALTH KICK
MENDOCINO: WHILE IN TOWN (My Raw Food School)
WANTED: GYM INFO IN PAMPLIN GROVE AREA

"Living Light Culinary Arts Institute"

Well this will be a real treat for me (in more ways than one). I graduated from "Living Light Culinary Arts Institute" before we purchased this historic building in Mendocino, so this will be my first time seeing it as well as old friends since graduation. If any of you want to experience what gourmet raw food recipes are like, this is ground zero for the raw food community across the country.

I'm obviously into health and fitness and always try to incorporate that into my getaways. I would really appreciate some local knowledge on Gyms in the Pamplin Grove (Carlotta) area too? I did a google and got a couple of Gyms in Fortuna and Mapquest said it was just a 10 minute drive from Carlotta - so I thought great! But when contacting the gym, a "very young and unsure" girl said they were 45 minutes away?? Dean or anyone else with local knowledge, if you can assist, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

http://www.rawfoodchef.com/default.html

Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:09 pm

Two places...
Eggheads for breakfast in Fort Bragg leaving the Mendocino gathering and The Chimney Tree for lunch in Dyerville along the Avenue of the Giants on the way to Pamplin. (Both are waddle-outs)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks Dean! Noted! No one wants to "convoy" on an empty stomach!

Let this file also extend beyond the "convoy" that's forming from Mendocino to Pamplin and include suggestions for people traveling to Mendocino. For example, I am trying to find the best halfway point (or little over halfway) coming from Phoenix to camp at, as well as other interesting things to see along the way, different routes, etc.

Dean, can you tell me about how long a drive it is to, 1023 Main St in Fortuna from Pamplin Grove? There's a gym I want to train at and I'm getting conflicting reports.

Thanks!
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:45 pm

About 15-20 minutes
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:56 pm

PAMPLIN AREA HEALTH/GYM
1023 Main Street, Fortuna

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:About 15-20 minutes

Cool - That's doable. Thanks Dean. That's a WHOLE lot better than the 45 minute drive the sweet young girl at the gym told me on the phone!!

... No better knowledge than local knowledge --- except from kids. :lol:

Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:09 pm

For those of you coming through Oregon, here are a couple sites.

Crater Lake: http://www.southernoregon.org/
Rogue River Jetboat: http://www.hellgate.com/Splash/
Captain Jack's Strong hold: http://www.inn-california.com/volcano/S ... ghold.html (Actually in California)
Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood http://www.traveloregon.com/Ski-Oregon/ ... rline.aspx

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Posting North/South

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:18 pm

How about putting them under the Pamplin Grove website page/section?
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

pumping iron

Postby Guy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Dear Scott,

No need to go to the gym, you can just help Dean unload his Dutch Oven Collection. He has a bad shoulder and could use the help. After that simple stretching exercise you can carry Gage down to and up from the river for a swim. But that too is a light workout. You can get some heavy lifting by carrying me around to say hello and to taste some fine cooking, which by the way, we will help you with your fitness goals, and not let you taste any of it :D
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Posting North/South

Postby Oasis Maker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:10 am

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:How about putting them under the Pamplin Grove website page/section?
TDN

Hey TDN,
Yeah, I think that would be best. Just a place where people can exchange their routes and stops along the way to Pamplin in a condensed link. This forum has a great deal of travel knowledge that should be shared. Along with giving others ideas, it might even help form some small groupings of two or three teardroppers meeting at suggested campgrounds before reaching Mendocino and/or Pamplin.

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: pumping iron

Postby Oasis Maker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:23 am

Guy wrote:Dear Scott,

No need to go to the gym, you can just help Dean unload his Dutch Oven Collection. He has a bad shoulder and could use the help. After that simple stretching exercise you can carry Gage down to and up from the river for a swim. But that too is a light workout. You can get some heavy lifting by carrying me around to say hello and to taste some fine cooking, which by the way, we will help you with your fitness goals, and not let you taste any of it :D

Jeez Guy, you got it all figured out bud? That's the perfect fitness routine! (Kinda has a bit of an Egyptian theme to it though with all the carrying of people) I know, you could sell huge palm leaves for fans and fresh grapes to be eatin as accessaries. All you have to do now is put it on an infomercial and watch that phone ring off the hook with sales! KA - CHING :lol:
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to South West