Driving to IRG

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby Kevin A » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:46 pm

You don't necessarily have to head north to I80 in Utah. You could pick up one of my favorite highways and continue west almost to Reno, NV on highway 50. http://www.viamagazine.com/top_stories/ ... nely04.asp
True, it's a lonesome highway with very few places to find fuel and supplies but it sure has some beautiful scenery.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Bill P » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Kev, you ain't kidding about the lonesome highway bit. I drove it back in the mid 80's and was a bit tense the whole way. There is a whole lot of nothing. You are correct also about the beauty. I find desert scenery very powerful indeed.

Bill
"Life is hard trooper. It's even harder if you're stupid"...Captain York"

Bill P
Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Kind of funny. I'm the first from Colorado to reply. I have driven cars, trucks and trailers of all sizes thru I-70 and I-80. I-70 has more mountain climbs but I still prefer it. When you get to the exit for Loveland Pass, just before Einsnhower tunnel, take it. Loveland pass will take you to over 12,000ft. It is beautiful up there. If it is a moonless night you will see more stars then you thought was possable. I love Colorado, but then I biased.

You can always take I-80 on the way home.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:05 pm

Gerdo wrote:Kind of funny. I'm the first from Colorado to reply.

I was thinking the same thing, we have a large Colorado contingent but no responses. Bruce, Pam, Shelly where are you?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Pam Wright » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Okay here I am..... Sorry, been to Arizona.

Came home I 70 in blowing snow last night. Glad there is those ridges that tell you where the edges are..... as long as I stayed in them, I didn't run off the road!!!!!

I personally am not crazy about the I70 climb out of Denver but have done it for years.... I like the Glenwood Canyon area, if there's no construction, it pretty and good road, I 80 has always been good to me too! So really do not have preferences....

I drive for the purpose. If I'm in a hurry (Watch out!!!!) it's the interstate.... if not, it's the 2 laner's... I'm taking the scenic route to IRG, by way of Sam's in MT and Bruce and Ken& Eunice's in OR and then Mendocino and IRG..... so caravaning with me will take at least 2 weeks there.....Anybody that's up for that is more than welcome to tag along!!!!

Shelly and I had talked about a southern route home over a week or so BUT.... now with her moving to MINOT.... we may take a northern route home????

Life changes, we have to enjoy today!

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby NutmegJoe » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Yea...I wasn't crazy about I-70 last year coming home from Shasta. But, I haven't driven it enough to feel like I should give my opinion before...for what that's worth!

And, yes Pam...I'm thinking the Northern route back from IRG if you don't mind the same scenery on your trip back.
Shelly
--------------
"Do what you like,
Like what you do"

NutmegJoe
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to South West