Register Teardrop in CA

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby annsailor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm

SUCCESS.

I went to DMV and decided I wasn't going to leave without the PTI registration. The state animal of Missouri is a mule. :roll: You can take the girl out of Missouri. But..... Although, I have lived in California longer than anywhere else.

I politely stood fast and persisted after 3 employees told me "No." I left with what I went for, a PTI registration.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Ann
annsailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby annsailor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:52 pm

SUCCESS.

I went to DMV and decided I wasn't going to leave without the PTI registration. The state animal of Missouri is a mule. :roll: You can take the girl out of Missouri. But..... Although, I have lived in California longer than anywhere else.

I politely stood fast and persisted after 3 employees told me "No." I left with what I went for, a PTI registration.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Ann
annsailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:09 am

Congratulations! :P

Would you please give us a brief rundown of what you had to do at the DMV?

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby annsailor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:30 pm

First, I made an appointment; at that time I explained what I wanted.

The rep suggested I arrive an hour early for the inspection.

I told the inspector what I wanted and she was open to the suggestion. I also explained that I knew other teardrops in the state had the PTI designation. She came to the trailer with a printout of the requirements and measuring tape. I pointed out how the trailer fit the PTI description. After careful consideration she agreed.

Then, I went to the appointed window inside. The clerk immediately said he wouldn't change the designation. I explained that I had the inspection and if there was a problem we should ask Tiffany to come to the front for clarification. He didn't want to do that. And I was not going to leave his window without the change.

He and the co-worker next door exchanged words, which I couldn't hear due to the two inch plexiglass. He couldn't understand the description of the teardrop. "What is it? What is a teardrop? Is it a tent?" Etc. Again, I suggested we should have Tiffany come out for a thorough explanation. And again he didn't want that. I couldn't understand why he would question what the inspector had determined. And he hadn't seen it.

There is a large desk behind the clerks, which I assumed is a supervisor. After fifteen/twenty minutes she finally got involved and explained to my clerk that teardrops can be PTI. At this point he calmly pressed the keyboard and gave me the paperwork and I was in line for the license plate.

All-in-all I was at the facility 90 minutes. However, I left with the PTI license plate.
annsailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby teardrop_focus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:08 am

Thank you, Ann (I'm assuming your name based on your forum username. Some have said that I posess an incredible command of the obvious!)

I took my unfinished teardrop (a half-teardrop in "wagon" form) to the DMV today without an appointment. I arrived just after 4 PM to avoid the most of the usual line around the block.

I said I was there to register a home-built lightweight camp trailer and was given a Title form, a Statement of Facts form, a PTI form and then given a slip of paper with the number B 298.

My number wasn't called until 5:05 PM at which point the person sitting at Window #8 deciphered several pages of an in-house manual, checked with the supervisor, then took my $38, gave me a receipt and said, "The person who will inspect your trailer has gone home for the day. You'll have to come back tomorrow for inspection. You won't have to stand in line; just drive up to the Vehicle Inspection lane and someone will help you there."

(It would have been great if the person who initiated my trailer-registration paperwork had had the foresight to tell me that the inspectors go home at 5 even though the office remains open to assist all customers who walk in the door before 5... but that would have made it all too easy)

So... I go back in the morning. She suggested either 7 a.m. (nah...) or more towards 11 a.m.

I'll try to remember to report back!

Thanks again, Ann.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:45 am

teardrop_focus wrote:Thank you, Ann (I'm assuming your name based on your forum username. Some have said that I posess an incredible command of the obvious!)

I took my unfinished teardrop (a half-teardrop in "wagon" form) to the DMV today without an appointment. I arrived just after 4 PM to avoid the most of the usual line around the block.

I said I was there to register a home-built lightweight camp trailer and was given a Title form, a Statement of Facts form, a PTI form and then given a slip of paper with the number B 298.

My number wasn't called until 5:05 PM at which point the person sitting at Window #8 deciphered several pages of an in-house manual, checked with the supervisor, then took my $38, gave me a receipt and said, "The person who will inspect your trailer has gone home for the day. You'll have to come back tomorrow for inspection. You won't have to stand in line; just drive up to the Vehicle Inspection lane and someone will help you there."

(It would have been great if the person who initiated my trailer-registration paperwork had had the foresight to tell me that the inspectors go home at 5 even though the office remains open to assist all customers who walk in the door before 5... but that would have made it all too easy)

So... I go back in the morning. She suggested either 7 a.m. (nah...) or more towards 11 a.m.

I'll try to remember to report back!

Thanks again, Ann.

:thumbsup:

I believe it to be the "height of optomism" to arrive at any California DMV office at 4:00 p.m. and expect to complete a "complicated" (for the DMV) transaction. :lol:

I, on occaision, have spent nearly entire days trying to get them to register vehicles or renew my DL. They have ordered light/brake inspections (at considerable expense for 5 minutes of a "mechanics" time), not kown their own procedures, required unneeded signatures on documents, required/demanded that I take a motorcycle riding test when I already had the motorcycle endorsement and their own rules did not require a retest, and in general incompetance and obstinance. My great salvation was that Suzy's sister was the MANAGER of a DMV office in Northern California and when I ran into problems (which seemed to be every time I went to the DMV) I could get her on the line, she would iinstruct the local DMV on the right procedures, and "save the day". The DMV ranks right next to the post office as one of my least favorite places to visit. I'd rather go to the dentist than the DMV or post office.

Suzy's sister recently retired but she still knows the rules and has a few friends that can help!

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby annsailor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Chris, Yes. It is Ann.

Gus, went to the dentist today. Had a temp crown applied. :cry:

Chris, earlier the better. My inspection area was in the back. If no one is there, there should be a doorbell around the back door.

Obstinate, is what I encountered with the window clerk, even though I had the inspection and thus paperwork.

Kill them with kindness and be politely obstinate. Don't leave without what you want.

Ann
annsailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:39 pm

It must be a county thing in Calif. I've done 5 and not had any of the hassles like mentioned. On new construction...give them a wad of receipts, and a break down sheet, hand them their own copy....tell them it's new construction, non self contained camper trailer for personal use. Never mention the word "teardrop" as it doesn't appear in any of their manuals and will cause them to run in circles which may cut into their smoke/coffee break, causing both them and yourself distress.

I've never had an inspection, however bringing one if from out of state or has been titled before will require someone to check out the ID #'s. They will go out and look at it when they put the VIN sticker on it...but no one has ever "officially" checked it out...most just wanted to see inside and I had to give a "tour". Just my experience with it. I guess P-ville DMV is more laid back. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 pm

annsailor wrote:Gus, went to the dentist today. Had a temp crown applied. :cry:

Ann

My dentist has the coolest set up. He preps the tooth for an inlay or crown as usual. Then he sticks this camera like doo dad in your mouth and takes a 3D picture of it and sends the data to a computer. Then the assistant tweaks the design of the crown a bit as required. After the assistant and doctor are satisfied with the design they send it to a tiny computer controlled milling machine which makes the permanent inlay or crown. Then the doctor sets it in place and with a little final tweaking YOU ARE DONE. Takes only one visit and no longer than a temp! My kind of dentistry!

annsailor wrote:Kill them with kindness and be politely obstinate. Don't leave without what you want.

I LOVE being obstinate! The last time I to the DMV I was informed by the clerk I'd have to have my vehicle inspected by the CHP. This was after she "demanded" to see the "official ownership certificate" for the used engine case I bought off of EBay. She didn't seem to accept my explanation that I didn't get an "official ownership certificate" for a banged up, 27 year old, used Honda motorcycle engine case from an EBay seller in Pennsylvania. So I then asked the clerk, who was doing her best to be a major PITA, where the CHP office was. I didn't think it was a big deal because it only requires a one one word answer! She said "I'll tell you later". Four words! Hating to drive as it causes me pain I just wanted to know how far I'd have to travel so I replied as sweetly as I could: "Can't you just tell me now or is it a secret". Her response: "I don't jump through hoops just because someone asks me to". My final remark before I asked for her supervisor: "I don't recall asking you to jump through any hoops, just where the CHP office is."

Then I had to deal with the CHP. It turns out that they have an office 5 miles from my home in one direction and an office 13 miles from home in the opposite direction. I called the number given and was told I'd have to drive to an office 75 miles away because there was no one qualified at the 5 mile office to perform the inspection. I was not permitted to go to the 13 mile office because I don't live in that district. I thought it was the CALIFORNIA Highway Patrol (as in statewide) but I was, apparently, mistaken (Suzy says I'm never wrong). After I called the CHP headquarters in Sacramento, an officer from the 75 mile office was dispatched to the 5 mile office to do the inspection. Apparently permitting me to go to the 13 mile office was still not a viable alternative for the CHP! The officer spent 3 hours (or perhaps less as the CHP officers do not abide by the posted speed limit) on the road rather than have an officer at the 13 mile office take 10 minutes to do the inspection! With this type of behavior and inefficient operation no wonder the state is going broke. :x

We won't go into the post office.

I'd rather go to the dentist. At least he gives me something for the pain! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:16 am

Pulled into the Vehicle Verification lane at 1 PM. I was first in line at that time. I waited almost an hour...

With the paperwork generated at my prior visit yesterday afternoon, things went smoothly. The person doingt the inspection complemented the build and asked if I would like to apply the Assigned Identification Number sticker. Nice.

It was a big day!

The only hiccup in the procedure was that once back inside the office the clerk at Window Number 18 thought I should fill out not only the Statement Of Facts but also a Statement Of Special Construction or something similar.

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby annsailor » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Gus,

All of that sounds typical. Is our experience a SoCal thing?

My dentist did the temp crown, so I have to go back in two weeks. Bummer. The procedure your doctor has sounds so futuristic. Very cool. However, I didn't feel any pain, not even from the injection.

Ann
annsailor
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to South West