New Year in Death Valley - Final Details

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby dguff » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:04 pm

As of this morning there were still a few campsites left at the Furnace Creek campground. I guess they got their reservation problem cleared up. I was able to reserve site #43. Happy New Year!!!

Jerome :thumbsup:
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:54 pm

dguff wrote:As of this morning there were still a few campsites left at the Furnace Creek campground. I guess they got their reservation problem cleared up. I was able to reserve site #43. Happy New Year!!!

Jerome :thumbsup:

That's super news!!! I'm glad you'll be buy us.

Anyone else want to attend?

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Hello

I plan on being in Death Valley Jan 4-6. Might get there a day or 2 earlier. I will be in Texas Springs, Upper camp ground. If there is anybody going to be hanging around a a few days.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Q » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Anyone else bringing trail bikes? I'll be camping in and around Death Valley from about Dec 26th until Jan 5th, exploring on a dual sport bike during the day.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Joanne » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:15 am

Q wrote:Anyone else bringing trail bikes? I'll be camping in and around Death Valley from about Dec 26th until Jan 5th, exploring on a dual sport bike during the day.

Q

A friend of mine was thinking of bringing his DS down on a trailer and throwing my KLR on it too, but I'm not sure it's going to work out.

Joanne

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Joanne » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:37 am

Hi all,

I hope everyone is done with their shopping and ready for Christmas! Of course that also means that we are rapidly approaching the Death Valley gathering.

I'm going to spend today getting things organized (if that's ever possible) for the trip down there. The one thing that I would like to ask is for everyone to bring along some firewood so we can have a campfire on New Year's Eve.

Firewood
Being a National Park they wouldn't allow us to gather fire wood even if there was some to collect. :lol: Anyway, if you all will throw a few pieces in your car/truck/trailer/motorcycle/whateveryouarecomingin it will make for a nice evening.

Waffle Breakfast
Also, anyone who wants to cook waffles with us should bring their waffle iron with them. Anyone who wants to eat waffles should bring their plate. I'll bring the margerine and syrup.

Potluck
Yesterday was the shortest day of the year, so the sun will be setting early down in the valley. I would like to hold the potluck before it gets dark so I'd like to have the Saturday potluck around 3:00 pm. I'll start a thread so folks can give us an idea of what they plan on bringing to the potluck.

Gasoline
I don't know what route that each of you is going to be taking to get to the valley, but I do know that gas is expensive down on the valley floor. It's usually about a dollar a gallon more expensive than it is here in Las Vegas. I would recommend that you fill up before heading into the park.

Groceries, Restaurants and Other Stuff
Although I have been down into the valley a time or two, I didn't look to see if they have a small market down there. Given the number of campers down there I would be surprised if they don't. Still, its a remote area and it's a long way to any other city, so bring what you need with you. There is at least one restaurant in the Furnace Creek area. I also know of another restaurant south of the valley in Shoshone.

Merry Christmas and we'll see you there!

Joanne

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:03 pm

There is a small market at Furnace Creek, right by the resturant. Not a lot of food, mostly trinkets and such but you won't starve to death. There are resturants and gas in Beaty Nevada. That is the direction I come from and if you plan to drive Titus Canyon you will be very close to Beaty to start the drive so just as well pop in, fuel up and stock up. there are groceries there also. I highly recomend the Titus Canyon drive if it is open. I would recomend a high ground clearence vehical. I won't leave home before Jan 1st and might take a day or 3 to get down there and then I am going to camp at the Upper Texas Springs Camp ground with a group of motorcycle campers. We been having this campout for about 30 years.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:31 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:There is a small market at Furnace Creek, right by the resturant. Not a lot of food, mostly trinkets and such but you won't starve to death. There are resturants and gas in Beaty Nevada. That is the direction I come from and if you plan to drive Titus Canyon you will be very close to Beaty to start the drive so just as well pop in, fuel up and stock up. there are groceries there also. I highly recomend the Titus Canyon drive if it is open. I would recomend a high ground clearence vehical. I won't leave home before Jan 1st and might take a day or 3 to get down there and then I am going to camp at the Upper Texas Springs Camp ground with a group of motorcycle campers. We been having this campout for about 30 years.

Thanks Wolf!

I know we are off topic here. I also ride, what kind of motorcycles? Dual sports or road bikes? I have the gear to do some MC camping but just haven't made time to get out and do it. I've thought of putting panniers on my KLR and configuring it for camping/touring. (Time and money don't ya' know) It might be fun to hook up with some folks and do a little MC camping.

Joanne

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby tupelosue » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Hey Everyone!! I have transferred my reservation to a new-to-this forum teardropper from Arizona.

Please Welcome Oasis Maker to space #51. i told him since he's representing me he should probably wear a fur critter hat and be kinda slow in the cooking department, and to park near someone who has hot water and breakfast going!! :lol: :lol:

He is also known as Scott and has a Little Guy.

As time draws near I am already beginning to regret having to cancel, but i know it is the right decision for me. I will be thinking of all of you having a great time, please look up at all the stars for me. i just don't get to see the milky way enough these days.

Now off to START my Christmas preparations!! Ha Ha, just kidding, but I'm not too far off.

Happy New Year!!!

:P :wine: :P :tipsy: :tipsy: :peace: :peace: :peace: :wine: :angel: :angel:
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:55 pm

Furnace Creek Camp Ground
P.O. Box 579
Death Valley CA 92328

Eastern California on Nevada border, 130 miles WNW of Las Vegas Nevada, 106 miles east of Lone Pine California.

General Google Map to "Furnace Creek Camp Ground"
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:37 pm

Joanne

We are mostly a bunch of road bikers, some dual purpose bikes. and a whole lot of "We don't care as long as you like bikes and camping". Our club has 2 basic rules

#1 there are no rules
#2 see rule #1

http://www.ibmc.org/
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:51 am

Hi again,

Thanks for the update! It's GREAT that you were able to get another teardropper to join us. Of course this means that we will have to be on our best behavior. :lol: We will do our best to indoctirnate him into the Cast Iron Cult.

Why is it that the right decision is always the most difficult to make? We will miss you being there but understand the priorities of real life. We've had a huge project at work for the last couple of years and I have had to cut back on a lot of my travels because of it. Now that it's over I'm hoping to make a few more events this year.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Joanne

tupelosue wrote:Hey Everyone!! I have transferred my reservation to a new-to-this forum teardropper from Arizona.

Please Welcome Oasis Maker to space #51. i told him since he's representing me he should probably wear a fur critter hat and be kinda slow in the cooking department, and to park near someone who has hot water and breakfast going!! :lol: :lol:

He is also known as Scott and has a Little Guy.

As time draws near I am already beginning to regret having to cancel, but i know it is the right decision for me. I will be thinking of all of you having a great time, please look up at all the stars for me. i just don't get to see the milky way enough these days.

Now off to START my Christmas preparations!! Ha Ha, just kidding, but I'm not too far off.

Happy New Year!!!

:P :wine: :P :tipsy: :tipsy: :peace: :peace: :peace: :wine: :angel: :angel:

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby dguff » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:15 am

Sorry folks, but I have had to cancel my reservation. So as of this morning site #43 at Furnace Creek campground should be available for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights, (30,31,1st). See you at future gatherings.

Jerome :(
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby savano » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Ok, so here I am freezing my a$$ in front of the visitor center in DV. (free wi-fi) So far I have seen 2 other TDs and one TTT. I am camped in upper upper Texas Springs next to another TD. Great view of the valley. I will migrate down to Furnace Creek CG tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sally
Sally
savano
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:57 pm

dguff wrote:Sorry folks, but I have had to cancel my reservation. So as of this morning site #43 at Furnace Creek campground should be available for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights, (30,31,1st). See you at future gatherings.

Jerome :(

Bummer Dude,
Looks like you'll have to come down to the pubic works office and hang out with us in the nice sunny warm weather, Uh-Huh. ;)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

PreviousNext

Return to South West