Dam gathering Events?

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Dam gathering Events?

Postby mfkaplan » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:46 am

Other than the chili potluck on Sat. What other happenings during the weekend do i need to know about before I leave home? I love chili, but if everyone makes chili, isn't that a whole lot of chili? Should I have something for a raffle? Any other dining events planned? I should be arriving noonish on Thursday. Stopping at the kid's house in Yuba City Wed. night.

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:09 am

Bring some Beano :gas: or a gas mask. :lol: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:44 pm

I decided to make cornbread to go with the chili. And a peach cobbler.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:14 am

Here's the way the chili thing works....everyone bring some chili...out of a can, homemade or whatever...it all gets dumped into a big pot and mixed up. It might sound like a disaster, but it's not!!...don't make or bring a lot as there is plenty...in addition, most people will bring a salad, DO thing, chips, cookies, whatever...anything else goes, especially cornbreads, desserts etc....

For after dinner entertainment, In the past there have been contests for a teardropping song sung to a tune that was given at registration, might be different type of contest this year...last year it was the song It'sy bitsy spider...The Deftones won...prizes and gifts, might be an idea to bring an inexpensive camping related item as a giveaway, ie, road atlas, flashlight, tarp, ...etc...

Lots of visiting and checking out trailers, last year the 5 wide guys did a flame paint job on a 56 Chevy...people went Kayaking on the lake, some went geochacheing...lots of us just hung out and relaxed around the campfire...hope this helps...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:40 am

I think Grant has planned a swap meet. Just bring your extra parts and maybe someone will buy it. I had a nice hatch latch until lastnight. A member of the forum came over to see my trailer and bought it.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:57 am

Like Doug said. What do you do at a California Gathering when you get bored? You flame a Chevy car. :lol:

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mfkaplan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:57 am

Thank you all. :thumbsup: Glad you warned me about the chili. Wasn't sure which kind or how much. Don't need to make the fancy gourmet kind. Will make a side dish in the DO. Need to bring some Beano for Danny. I know I have some left over teardrop parts-planning of straightening up the garage in the morning anyway. Will also be prepared with a prize. Like to be prepared when I go to events. Sounds like a fun weekend- can't wait.. I can see that each gathering has its own personality. See you soon. :vroom:

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:25 am

Mary, this is from the info page about Saturday night. "Saturday Potluck and World Famous Dam Gathering Chili". What that is telling you is that it is also a potluck. Your not tied to the Chili.

http://www.teardrops.net/14thDG.html
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:37 am

Mary,
The way the chili thing was explained to me was to bring canned chili, (can or box) or have freshly made chili. I took that as freshly made at the event, but could be wrong. They also have a Special Challenge Event too, but keep the challenge a surprise until the event. Contestants perform their challenge during the ceremonies right after the chili feed/pot luck. After the ceremonies, performances and awards are handed out folks are invited to sit around the campfire for friendly stories and commaraderie, which can and does go well into the wee hours. Saturday evening is pretty much the main feature. I'm sure there are other things I'm not aware of yet, but will find out when we get there.
Look forward to seeing you again. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby asianflava » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:50 am

bledsoe3 wrote:I decided to make cornbread to go with the chili. And a peach cobbler.

I gotta send you the cornbread recipe I used at LCG.....If I can find it again.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:13 am

Hey, Mary!

There's usually some informal DO tasting going on throughout the campgrounds on Friday, as well. If you've got something that you want to try out but not necessarilly subject folks to on Saturday night, Friday's a good time to do that. Folks like Gage wander 'round the grounds giving unsolicited gourmet reviews ... but if'n they don't bring their own plates & utensils, shoo 'em off ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Some folks take off somewhat early Saturday morning to take in the Pancake Breakfast at the Firehall in Shasta Lake City, 17 mi. south, and stick 'round for their Damboree Parade, and then do some antiqueing or garage-sale perusing on the way back to the campout.

There's the Lake Shasta Caverns not too far away if you're into that kind of thing (pretty impressive cave ... not to mention the boat-ride over and bus-ride up the mountain, then back). The little railroad town Dunsmuir is just up the highway a bit, and it's got some fine attractions.

Lots to do if you want ... nothin' to do but hang out if you want to do that ... but if you like to check out teardrops and make great new teardrop friends, you'll be pretty busy right there at the campgrounds for three days!

Looking forward to seeing you again! 'Til later ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby mfkaplan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks again. Wow! Lots to do or not do.

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:43 am

asianflava wrote:
bledsoe3 wrote:I decided to make cornbread to go with the chili. And a peach cobbler.

I gotta send you the cornbread recipe I used at LCG.....If I can find it again.
Let me know if you find it in the next day or two so I can buy the ingredients before I leave.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed May 02, 2007 11:00 am

For those who are interested, Joanie came up with a good idea.
She's gonna use a dry erase board and have what we're fixin' in the DOs for each of the meals posted on the board.
That way, folks that wanna come potluck with us will get an idea what they may wanna bring and folks that just wanna stop in for a bite will know what's on the menu.

Here's how it's shaping up so far...

Thursday Dinner... Mexican Lasagna

Friday Breakfast... Belgian Waffles

Friday Lunch... BLT Pizza

Friday Dinner... Prime Rib
Jim Bledsoe is bringing his famous Blue Cheese Scalloped Potatoes

Saturday Breakfast... Mountain Man w/venison sausage

Saturday Lunch... Resting up for dinner

Saturday's Main Potluck... We'll be bringing Apple-Vanilla Cream Cheese Cobbler w/Dutch Oven Ice Cream
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby mfkaplan » Wed May 02, 2007 2:17 pm

Yummy! Packing up to leave late this afternoon for the run north as far as Yuba City. I need to make another trip to the grocery store. Got more stuff I can make in the dutch oven. :applause:

Mary
Mom's nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to South West