Moab, Utah nov 2-4

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Moab, Utah nov 2-4

Postby tupelosue » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm thinking of heading to a folk Music Festival in Moab over the 1st weekend in November. Not sure yet if I can get the time off.

What can I expect weather wise this time of year?? Is it feasible for a California girl without a heater in the teardrop to survive a november night camping??

haven't looked at a map yet, but I imagine I would have to cross the Sierras somehow; is there much likelihood of bad weather and road closures and being stranded and not making it back to work?

Horrors :shock: :) :o :cry: ;) ;) ;)

just putting it out therre for some ideas and feedback.
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby Lazybones » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:36 pm

I might go with you if the time is open.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:03 am

You should have asked at Mendo. The Brewer Pat ran a brewery there for two years before returning home to Ft Bragg. . He has seen all of the seasons. Try him at [email protected].

If that does not work send me a PM and I will find a better address.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby tupelosue » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:13 am

Hey lee, it would be great if you came along! I would love the company!

check out www.moabfolkfestival.com/

Dennis, thanks for the tip. I didn't make the brewery trip so didn't know that. I will write him.

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:02 am

Sue:

I believe my brother made the drive for the SF area to Moab to visit his son. I will check and see if he had a preferred route.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Moab, Utah nov 2-4

Postby kurtibm » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:50 am

tupelosue wrote:I'm thinking of heading to a folk Music Festival in Moab over the 1st weekend in November. Not sure yet if I can get the time off.

What can I expect weather wise this time of year?? Is it feasible for a California girl without a heater in the teardrop to survive a november night camping??

haven't looked at a map yet, but I imagine I would have to cross the Sierras somehow; is there much likelihood of bad weather and road closures and being stranded and not making it back to work?

Horrors :shock: :) :o :cry: ;) ;) ;)

just putting it out therre for some ideas and feedback.

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KCNY&SafeCityName=Moab&StateCode=UT&Units=none&IATA=GJT
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby NutmegJoe » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:27 am

Sue...I was about to write that if the weather isn't bad in Colorado I could make it up there for the weekend...
But, I'll be in Orlando...I go every year for a little sunshine before winter sets in up here. Dangit! :cry:
Shelly
--------------
"Do what you like,
Like what you do"

NutmegJoe
Gold Donating Member

Postby Yogi Bear » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Sue,

The best time of the year to visit Moab, is in the early Spring or late Fall. Early Nov. sounds about right to me. 8)

I like camping in Oct. and Nov. the best in Utah.

But, I have great heater in my trailer and use it a lot too.

You should have the whole campground to yourself in Nov. anywhere in Utah.

But, on the other hand... It could dump a foot of snow at anytime starting in September! :o

So, keep a your weather eye out...

http://weather.weatherbug.com/UT/Moab-w ... &zip=84532

Bring your skis, just in case :lol: :lol:

Freeways are alway open in Utah (expect during a wildfire, so, bring lots of hot dogs & marashmallows) ;) :lol: :)

Have fun!
Paul

BTW: try Dead Horse Point State Park at 6,000 ft. ( little colder) but, near Moab. It's has a brand new area for camping, very nice , it's open all year long...
1 435 259-2614
Last edited by Yogi Bear on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yogi Bear
Teardrop Master

Postby tupelosue » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:02 am

Shelly, I bet there'll be some sun in utah that weekend!! it would sure be great to see you again!

Yogi, thanks for the tips...not sure whether i'm encouraged or discouraged :lol:

i rarely let little things like weather reports hold me back, and i've heard the area is beautiful. will look into dead horse also.

sue

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby jmtk » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi Sue,

I agree with Paul (Yogi Bear), early spring and late fall are the times to visit southern Utah. I'll guess that typical Moab temperatures that time of year are 60s-70s in the day and 30s-40s at night. Bring a decent sleeping bag and you'll be just fine in your unheated tear (but then, this is from someone who grew up in the frigid northwoods of Wisconsin :lol: ). You could certainly see snow at the higher elevations that time of year (ie, passes you may have to cross getting to/from there), but in Moab itself it's probably not very likely.

Heck, we'll probably be down there the weekend before. Moab is a favorite for us. I couldn't tell you how many times we've been to Arches and Canyonlands, and it never gets old. If you decide to make the trip, let us know what kind of things you like to see and do and we'll give you suggestions.

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Pam Wright » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Hey Sue~

I'll be in Lousiana the weekend before @ LCG 2.0 but if the weather holds it's only 6-7 hours from Denver.... Maybe? Just maybe......

Pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby tupelosue » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:51 am

Hey Pam, that would be great if you could make it too! I still don't know for sure if I will. Don't have the time off yet, and will wait until weather patterns are set a bit. Usually when i get a hare-brained idea lke this i follow thru, practicality be damned! (where did that phrase "hare-brained idea" come from???)

I just love folk music festivals and there aren't enough of them around me to get to, so i go where I gotta go to see more.

the more I hear/read about Moab, the more i wanna go. and for more than a weekend, too.

:D

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby BruceB » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:40 am

Hi Sue-
Moab is one of my favorite places and I spend 6-8 weeks there at various times during the year. In Nov, you can expect anything but with the current weather conditions in the western US, the odds are in favor of good weather in the fall. Moab is around 4000' so the nights will be cool - I use a down bag inside my trailer. But then, I really hate being cold. Moab has some really great camping - my favorite spot is at Goose Island, right on the river.

I'm looking forward to meeting all you folks at SLO.

Bruce
BruceB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tupelosue » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:42 pm

Okay, so I am heading to Moab next week, leaving home on the 1st, probably stopping over in Wendover, and heading south from Salt Lake on the 2nd, friday. My friend Michele will be with me.

We are happy to be going to Moab, but feel ready to switch to plans b or c if weather or travel problems arise.

Thanks for all the links everybody, and please feel free to join us there!!

Oh, I don't actually know yet where we will be staying, but looking for a campground in town itself. We'll get out and about by car, but want to be staying in town to catch all the music gigs. Anyone know specific campgrounds in/close to town??

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Moab Campgrounds

Postby Yogi Bear » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:16 am

Hi There,

Try the Riverside Oasis, on the way into town near the river, on your left. The turn comes up quick in the 40 MPH zone. But, it well posted.

If you miss that one, try the KOA, on the South end of town. Just up the hill about 5 miles turn left can't miss it. The KOA is very clean too.

Let's see... in town... Mostly motels in town...

Try the campground just pass the City Mart on the left hand side going South, near the last stop light leaving town. It's O.K. too.

There is one more right in the center of town for sure.
Just look around, you won't have to go to far, to find one. ;)

Have a fun trip!

Paul
Yogi Bear
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to South West