SLO Gathering. How'd you like it? How could it be better?

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

SLO Gathering. How'd you like it? How could it be better?

Postby Esteban » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:07 pm

The SLO Gathering was a lot of fun. The turn out of good fun people and creative trailers was more than we ever imagined early on. Loved the yummy waffles Saturday morning. Matt and Joanne's DO cooking class was a highlight. Saturday evening's potluck was an awesome feast.

How did you like it?

What suggestions do you have to make it better...when/if we do a SLO II?

Would you want SLO II to be at Montana de Oro campground, again?

:question: 8) :thinking:

A big spray bottle of Racoon Be Gone, or wrist rockets, for everyone? :twisted:
Last edited by Esteban on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:03 pm

It was great but I think the lower circle would be better.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:35 pm

My suggestion would be to have it before school teachers have to report back to work... My suggestion is biased of course.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby billnut » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:46 pm

:D Well Steve as I was there for a week. I would like to try for two weeks !!
Had a great time Steve :applause: :applause: :applause:
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:32 pm

Salsa Lessons, some raccoon size snap traps, a starter and transmission repair station, etc. Steve Great time best gathering I have been to, no offense Spamboree. I say stick with that week sorry Dean, it seemed to click for a lot of people, stick with the third week in September!

maybe next year I will have time to finish a shirt design, I am trying to incorporate a silhouette on the point of two trailers, and get a dutch oven in there some how.

Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Filifera » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:47 pm

We had a fantastic time, and owe many thanks to everyone who organized and participated in the event. It sure was great to see so many of the message board "personalities" and their trailers, especially to see how much hard work went into creating rolling works of art. And as newcomers to the teardrop scene we really felt welcome.
Filifera
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sunny16 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:55 pm

As for being in the lower loop, it seemed that there was more camping in the upper loop. The lower loop camp spots seemed to be spread out and not as many as the upper loop. (I could be wrong here in that many were camping together.) There was a larger center area for a great gathering, though, in the lower loop. We were about the farthest from the group campwise but we had a great time and would probably do it again. And I would stay longer! (If only the drive wasn't so long from SLC to SLO!) It was great to meet all of you whom we did meet. And the coast was fantastic! The raccoons were a whole different story, but what stories we told. :lol:
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Good points Sunny, now that we have seen the sites and how that center area worked so well for group activities I think we could double up on some of those upper circle sites.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby mfkaplan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:23 pm

It was wonderful! I really can't think of anything to change. Maybe train the critters not to put their muddy handprints on vehicles.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:05 pm

I think if we could get them to work with us on the parking situation, we could load up a lot of the lower loop sites with tears. Would need a location for all the tow vehicles however. Could put 3 in many of the spaces. As far as the raccoons...I don't think that will change much...isn't that creek called Raccoon Creek? obviously for a good reason. Maybe a contest to see who can build the best live trap and have a catch/release contest?....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:31 pm

Ma3tt wrote:Salsa Lessons, some raccoon size snap traps, a starter and transmission repair station, etc. Steve Great time best gathering I have been to, no offense Spamboree.

Hah!! But you do not have a real full scale Hawaiian Hula show with fire dancers and lovely wahines. Come on by with a tent.. no extra trailers allowed and you will get a show without any four legged bandits. :lol: :lol:
Alooooohaaaa :applause: :applause:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:08 am

Let's see....the only thing I can think of is having someone in charge of walking through the campground at dusk and making certain everyone's windows are up. :roll:

I *loved* the location being so close to the ocean. Town was far enough away that you didn't feel like you were camping in a parking lot, yet close enough to run into town to pick up some replacement food that the coons got away with. (Not that I know from personal experience mind you, but theoretically speaking you could.)

Great location! Great event! Great coon huntin'!

Joanne

P.S. - I'm thinking about renaming the Desert Dawg the Coon Dawg
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby cuyeda » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:12 am

What a great job everyone did putting on this first event. There were many highlights during the entire weekend. Waffle breakfast treat, dutch oven 101, farmers market in SLO (Thurs.), pot luck was a hit. Being in the lower loop was a bit of a trek to the upper loop. Hot showers would have made the campground a no brainer, oh well...

I feel sorry for the raccoons already, if the group goes back. Can we say armed and dangerous. I have to admit considering one of those soft gel pellet guns at the local Walmart. ha ha. Perhaps, having a curfew on the dumpsters at night, and secure the lids. Those raccoons always knows it is a jackpot. As the terminator would say, "I'll be back".
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:00 am

Dennis wrote:full scale Hawaiian Hula show with fire dancers and lovely wahines

Your wish can be fulfilled...Na Mele O Ke Kai is the local hula school. We'd have needed more time to get on their schedule and a pot of money for the dancers and band.

Na Mele O Ke Kai dancing at the SLO Farmer's Market

8)
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Italia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 pm

I am already looking forward to next year, everything and everybody were very cool. I would enjoy some dinner music next year, perhaps a trio of some violins and /or sax or flute, Mandolins. Hula girls or belly dancers seem very entertaining to me. One or the other. Mushroom cooking competition?--dano
Italia
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to South West