Mendocino Gathering site closed!!

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Mendocino Gathering site closed!!

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:14 am

2 weeks ago Dean Bessom drove over to FT. Bragg and wanted to camp at the site we were all at earlier this summer. They had been having some problems meeting the environmental regs. and the entrance had a large sheet of plywood painted up with "No RV's, No Camping. He also indicated that the fire rings were removed as well as the water and electrical posts. It has been rumored that they may have to do a lot of work to remain open, like a completely new septic system. Too bad, I liked the view there! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:47 am

Too bad, there are not many "free form" sites out there. It did provide a site with a view at a reasonable price
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:26 pm

That's a bummer, gonna miss that place. :(
I hope Lee is successful finding another location.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:37 pm

ImageImageImageImage :cry:

Doug, Dennis & Kevin ~

I enjoyed that outing that Lee made possible so very much.
It is a sad reckoning that the last gathering will be no more there.

Here once again is my remembrance of that experience for anyone who hasn't been there.

The Tears of Mendocino finding the light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrxzHVYZoM
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:00 pm

I sure hope that the current property owner can get the needed renovations in place and signed off before July...
My hunch is there is a bigger thing happening here... Like someone else wants that property.
Dean and Deb hooked up with Joanie and I for dinner on their adventure Northward and broke this sad news to us...
All I can say is... It's a good thing that Lee is at the controls to find us a new Mendo spot. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby grant whipp » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:16 pm

Well ... dayyuummmm! ... :x ... :x

... and a whole stream of expletives deleted!

I do trust Lee, though, to come up with an alternate location if Cabrillo Highlands Campground can't (or won't ever) be ready in time for the '08 event.

Lawson's Landing at Dillon Beach (site of the Cam's Cool Coastal Cowpatty Campouts) is in jepordy of loosing their use permit due to extreme pressure from environmental groups and (I'm sure) a general unwillingness to maintain and update sewage & sanitary facilities over the years (it can't be due to inability, IMO, because the revenue they get from the campers is staggering!).

Cabrillo isn't the size (thank goodness) nor does it have the resources that Lawson's has, so it will be really interesting to see how this whole turn of events plays out ... :thinking: ... :thinking: ...

Here's hoping for the best ... for Cabrillo, for Lawson's, and for many more of our favorite coastal camping venues ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:08 pm

As fate would have it... Lee called me just moments after I posted my thoughts.
He was in Eureka having just purchased something real cool (Don't want to spoil his suprise) and ended up stopping by the fire station for a chat.
Regardless of what happens to Cabrillo Heights, Lee has things under control!!! :thumbsup: :applause:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:My hunch is there is a bigger thing happening here... Like someone else wants that property.

I'm thinking like you Dean...My bet...a trophy home or some sort of upscale, townhouse, condo project, and they found a way to push the issue to force a sale. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:45 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I sure hope that the current property owner can get the needed renovations in place and signed off before July...
My hunch is there is a bigger thing happening here... Like someone else wants that property.
Dean and Deb hooked up with Joanie and I for dinner on their adventure Northward and broke this sad news to us...
All I can say is... It's a good thing that Lee is at the controls to find us a new Mendo spot. :thumbsup:

Maybe if you like that site alot you could stay as a work crew inhancing the site and staying for free. A group I use to belong to would improve the site they stayed at each time they came. a working relation ship. although once complete the rent to stay could go up way out of reach too.

I am sure there are many sites simaler that could be had.
It being my first campout with teardrops (we were in a tent) makes it strange that we will not be there in a TTT.
But then agian we saw that site and a new one would be welcomed.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:14 am

grant whipp wrote:Here's hoping for the best ... for Cabrillo, for Lawson's, and for many more of our favorite coastal camping venues ... :thumbsup: ...!
CHEERS!
Grant

ditto to what Grant said. Kenny and I have only been to Mendo once and also Dillon beach once. We love both sites. Hope it works out so they dont close.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:16 am

I really enjoyed my one visit there. The view was great and the people were even better. I'm glad I made it there once.

Maybe Lee could pick a spot a couple of hundred miles up the coast to replace it. :twisted:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby martha24 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:43 am

bledsoe3 wrote:I really enjoyed my one visit there. The view was great and the people were even better. I'm glad I made it there once.

Maybe Lee could pick a spot a couple of hundred miles up the coast to replace it. :twisted:

I guess it depends on perspective. A couple of hundred miles south sounds better to me. :lol:

I'm glad I made it once too, it was a beautiful area & had a good time last summer. :thumbsup:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gage » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:13 am

martha24 wrote:
bledsoe3 wrote:I really enjoyed my one visit there. The view was great and the people were even better. I'm glad I made it there once.

I guess it depends on perspective. A couple of hundred miles south sounds better to me. :lol:
I'm glad I made it once too, it was a beautiful area & had a good time last summer. :thumbsup:

Or maybe even a couple of hundred miles South/East. But then it wouldn't be on the coast. Yep, I like Martha's idea better. And the weather is always great down this away. Never any fog. :shhh:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:01 am

Fog is a good thing...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:48 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Fog is a good thing...

Only if you are old, mossy and hang out with banana slugs. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Next

Return to South West