Tuweep On North Rim Accessable By TD?

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Tuweep On North Rim Accessable By TD?

Postby jambie » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:58 pm

We're already planning our trip through the southwest for next May and really want to camp at the Tuweep primitive campground on the GC north rim. Does anyone know if a well-built - Camp Inn - td can make the trip?

Thanks and cheers!
Tom
jambie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby emiller » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:33 pm

Did you call them, I thought it was tent camping only could be wrong. The dirt roads are usaully well graded and slow and easy you'll be fine. It's been along time since I was in that area. But the drive was spectacular.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:37 pm

I was there in 2002. Pickup only. I don't know if it is tents only. If you have ground clearence should not be a problem. You will get to find out how well it seals out the dust. ( or seals it in ) It is a GREAT place. I got one of the 2 sites right on the rim. Where my tent was one could toss a rock over the rim. Next stop 3000 feet down. A year or so later National Geographic came out with a book called "100 must see places in the world" or something like that. The cover photo was taken just a few yards from that camp site. The trailer I built I would not be worried about taking it there. That is what I built it for and have tested it out the past 2 weeks.

I highly recommend Tuweep. Take extra tires, water, be sure you have enough gas and be prepared for some jaw dropping views.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Tom, I just checked a lot of the written info on Tuweep on my search engine. Looks like a beautiful Camp-Inn might take a beating trying to drive the 60 miles of wash-board road to get to the campground. There was a Park Ranger who lived close to the area where he owned and flew a Super Cub aircraft. The dirt airstirp is still there, with a sign at one end near a picnic table that says "Tuweep International Airport, North Concourse, gate one".

I wish I had known of it during my private flying days of 20 years ago. I have flown over and down into the grand canyon, which to say the least was a real experience. Flying just above the ground and then out over the edge puts you 3000 feet above the river in a split second. Whew.

Bottom line, I think Tuweep would be a great place to explore, however a Jeep and an off-road teardrop would be the answer to staying for a while. Good luck, have fun and fill us in on your trip.
Roly :applause:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Return to South West