1953 Aljoa

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

1953 Aljoa

Postby js.mason » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:53 pm

I purchased what is believed a 1953 Aljoa travel trailer. There is no title but that is no big deal. Some one before me has tried to restore it but did not do so well at the attempt. I have since disassembled the trailer and found I will need to start over. I am up for the challenge, it will be fun. My question, is there any one out there that may have pictures of a 53 Aljoa especially the interior. Thanks. :thumbsup:
js.mason
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gage » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:13 pm

Don't have any pictures of an Aljoa but you'll find that almost all 'Caned Hams' of that time period were almost all the same as for the interior. You could step into one blind folded and couldn't tell what trailer you were in from the interior.

I have a friend or two who have or had Aljoas. But for the life of me right now, I can't think of who. I know, that doesn't help a bit. But like that, there are several Vintage Travel trailers in the Phoenix area.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:38 am

Check the Aljoa Wiki page http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/doku.php?id=aljoa There a few inside shots and contact info
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:53 pm

dmb90260 wrote:Check the Aljoa Wiki page http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/doku.php?id=aljoa There a few inside shots and contact info

That be my first trailer, 1951 Aljoa.

Click here for more photos
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:42 am

cuyeda wrote: That be my first trailer, 1951 Aljoa.

Click here for more photos
There you go. I knew it was someone I knew. Thanks Cliff for the help in the time of need (senior attack). :?
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:31 am

NP.... These pics would have been really nice if the flash didn't appear on your glass rims.

Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:15 am

Aw, there I am. I knew I was on this board some where. :lol: Are you guys going to Parker next weekend? We're going to be taking the Dalton (in case it rains). :roll:
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby emiller » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Gage wrote:Aw, there I am. I knew I was on this board some where. :lol: Are you guys going to Parker next weekend? We're going to be taking the Dalton (in case it rains). :roll:

It's not going to rain. 8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm

emiller wrote:
Gage wrote:Aw, there I am. I knew I was on this board some where. :lol: Are you guys going to Parker next weekend? We're going to be taking the Dalton (in case it rains). :roll:

It's not going to rain. 8)
:shhh: I hear it's going to rain like hell. You didn't get the word Eddie?

ImageI bring the rain with me. ;)
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

53 Aljoa

Postby js.mason » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks for the help and the pictures. Things will be a little easier now. It will not rain at Parker. Eddie said so. :D
js.mason
Teardrop Builder

1953 Aljoa

Postby bataylor » Sat May 29, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi,

I am located in Long Beach, CA and have a 1953 Aljoa that I purchased in July of 2008. It is currently waiting to be restored, as I am in the process of restoring the 1955 Ford F-100 that will be the tow vehicle. I have some interior photos of mine, but the rear of the trailer is rotted out from leaks and years of neglect.

Link to Aljoa photos
http://web.me.com/bataylor66/1953_Aljoa/53_Aljoa_-_July_26,_2008.html

Brett Taylor
bataylor
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cuyeda » Sat May 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Brett,

I live in Long Beach, and own a similar canned ham, model Deville. I started that wiki to gather some research when I got my first trailer, which is long gone. Actually, I still know where it is, and may be for sale.

Anyway... Luv to check out the trailer, maybe provide some rebuilding tips. Looking at the limited pictures, looks like it may be best to do a complete teardown. You will appreciate it in the long run. I can't see the skins clearly, but if it is good shape, you can rebuild all the (necessary)wood framing better than before.

PM me, and you can see my trailer of what a similar interior looks like.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

53 Aljoa

Postby bataylor » Sat May 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Cliff,

I am planning on rebuilding the trailer from the frame up, the sides are too rotted from water damage and termites. Luckily, most of the interior casework is still good and the exterior skin is in good shape. Even the original screen door is in good condition and useable.

The stove was missing and I located a Dixi for the trailer.

I have quite a few wood working tools and a Shopsmith, so I should be set once I get started. But, any tips and ideas are appreciated. :)

Regards,
Brett Taylor
bataylor
Teardrop Inspector

Return to South West