Questions about southern NV, Northern Arizona travel

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Questions about southern NV, Northern Arizona travel

Postby nevadatear » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:47 pm

After investigating a little, the National Parks in Utah look like it will be to cold for me for the Easter week this year, so I am now thinking about Southern Nevada/Northern Arizona area instead. So what do you locals recommend? Interest in wildlife viewings, especially birds. :embarassed: :campfire: :campfire:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Have you guys ever been to Death Valley? We want to do that trip some day, and the spring would seem like a good time. The wild flowers should still be blooming around that time I think. Scotty's castle also sounds like an interesting place to visit. And there are a few ghost towns around the area.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Yes, we have been twice. Once in the spring and once in the fall. Is indeed a beautiful place.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby JennieL » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:32 pm

We are now thinking about Death Valley, too, instead of Lake Mead. It sounds like a beautiful place to be in mid-March.
JennieL
Teardrop Inspector

Postby emiller » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:56 am

Still pretty cold up in Northern Arizona, could snow maybe not hard to figure out Arizona weather that time of year. But any where near water ways will have a lot of wild life. Not much bird watching in the desert areas. If it's a decent weekend the North Rim of the Grand Canyon would be great, the California Condor cruises over head all the time.
emiller
Donating Member

Re: Questions about southern NV, Northern Arizona travel

Postby jmtk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:50 pm

nevadatear wrote: the National Parks in Utah look like it will be to cold for me for the Easter week :

Even Zion? Early April is a great time to visit Zion before the intense heat of summer kicks in. We were just there last week, and it was low 60s during the day. Not sure how cold it got at night. I must admit we weren't camping this trip :oops: but I suspect it was low 30s. By the time Easter rolls around, it ought to be really nice, especially in the lower elevations of Zion. We've seen desert big horn sheep (on the east side of the park), bald and golden eagles, tons of deer, and of course, phenomenal scenery.

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:17 pm

yup, changed our minds back. Zion and Brice it is! Can't wait. Watching it snow in Reno, 18" in the last 18 hours and no signs of stopping.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby emiller » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:11 pm

well have a great time stay safe and take some cool pics
8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby jmtk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:45 pm

nevadatear wrote:yup, changed our minds back. Zion and Brice it is! Can't wait..

Remember that Bryce is quite high (8000-9000') and is under about 3' of snow right now. It may not be all gone by early April. But hiking in the hoodoos (red rock spires) with snow is magical!

Check into reservations if you plan to camp at Zion. Those holiday weekends can be quite busy. It's around spring break time, too. Here's some slickrock on the east side of the park. This area is about 1000' higher than the lower elevations of the park in Zion Canyon, so there's snow in the shady and north facing areas. I'd expect it to be all gone by Easter:

PM me if you need some details. Have fun!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby jmtk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Oops, accidentally double posted so deleted the repeat!
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Neat pictures. :thumbsup: 8)
emiller
Donating Member

so. nev

Postby curiouserand » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Zion is great this time of year; there are also some gorgeous Utah state parks in the SW corner of Utah that are best this time of year. Bryce is not such a good idea for April because of the elevation. There is supposed to be good birding south of Laughlin, NV on the Colorado river; there may even be a birding festival at the Salton Sea area....there is good birding in southern AZ down past Tucson. Flagstaff is kind of cold, but there is really neat camping near the Verde Valley, with a train that goes out near some Eagle nesting-runs along the river; that also leaves you near to Sedona. There is a birding festival in the Verde Valley also; you would have to look it up on the net.
Curiouser and curiouser....
curiouserand
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nevadatear » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:11 pm

You sound like a birder?? Or at least know one? We know it is not the best birding time, too early for best migration. We have done Tucson, it was great, plan to go again now with the trailer. Will have to check on those festivals. Thanks!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

birding

Postby curiouserand » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:49 am

I am less than an amateur when it comes to birding, though I do like to try. My eyesight is very poor. I found that going to festivals helps because the pros hear and spot everything. If you came south through Ely to Pioche, you could stop off at the Pahranagat wildlife refuge on the way to I 15; this time of year is supposed to be good for eagles. There is camping, but very primitive. Sounds like a nice trip.
Curiouser and curiouser....
curiouserand
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DougH » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 pm

I love Zion, it's one of my favorite parks. Capitol Reef is also pretty neat and not that far away if you skip Bryce. Love the little campground there.
DougH
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to South West