Camping in Sacramento Area???

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Camping in Sacramento Area???

Postby Sawyer » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Hello all, I will be going on a quick road trip from Eugene, OR to Indio, CA starting this Tuesday the 13th. I am looking for a decent place to camp that evening about half way to Indio, which would put me somewhere in the Sacramento/Stockton area... Are there any decent camping spots in that area where I can post up for the evening? It doesn't need to be anything special, just a safe spot where I can park the teardrop and my buddy can pitch a tent.

Any info or ideas would be very helpful!!!
"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither" - Benjamin Franklin
Sawyer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Phooey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:17 pm

You might check out Folsom Lake SRA. I am not sure which areas would be open right now due to the cutbacks in the State Park system. I have not stayed there to camp but have used their day use facilities during the summer.
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Here's a website list, no guarantees, but this site usually shows pics and gives a little review:

http://www.campscout.com/town/CA0029/

Also, remember that if a campground says it's an RV campground, it may not allow tents; so, you'll need to check that, too.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GregB » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 am

This is where I grew up and I usually wouldn't camp anywhere within the city limits of Sacramento. Down by the river (downtown Sac.) is nice, but there are a lot of transients there. Roseville is 18 miles northeast and Phooey is right; Beal's Point (at Folsom Lake) campground is small and pleasant with shade and tent camping. It is probably worth the short detour. Nice time of the year to be there, as well. Easy to access from the freeway with restaurants on the way in. I've also been out to Rancho Seco. Not a lot of cover, but open and green with the cooling ponds for boating.

Greg
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Return to South West