Broke in the new 8" D.O. today

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Broke in the new 8" D.O. today

Postby surveytech » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:53 pm

Made some pot roast in the new dutch today.
It was yummy!!

Pot roast before.......

and pot roast after........

The 8" DO is the perfect size for the two of us.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:56 pm

Yea that looks good. Did you buy the DO new? Where did you get it?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby surveytech » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:03 pm

mikeschn wrote:Yea that looks good. Did you buy the DO new? Where did you get it?

Mike...

Mike I did buy it new.
I taught a fly tying class at a local sports shop and took the DO as partial payment for class.
But I always wanted the little Lodge 8.
I think its the perfect size for a lot of stuff for two people.
And its easier to pack!

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:58 pm

Hi Walter,

My 8" and 10" ovens are my favorites. When I camp solo or with one other person, they are just the right size. Big iron is good for crowds but not for one or two.

That pot roast sure looks good! It's a great DO meal since you can cook everything in a single oven.

On a side note, yesterday I took a fly fishing class offered by the Nevada Department of Wildlife. It was a lot of fun. I haven't fished since I was little and my dad would take me. He would get frustrated because I would lose all his good lures in the bushes. :roll: I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try to fly fish or not. I love fresh trout. And with the new tear I would like to do some traveling up north. Sounds like a good combination.

Joanne

surveytech wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Yea that looks good. Did you buy the DO new? Where did you get it?

Mike...

Mike I did buy it new.
I taught a fly tying class at a local sports shop and took the DO as partial payment for class.
But I always wanted the little Lodge 8.
I think its the perfect size for a lot of stuff for two people.
And its easier to pack!

Walter
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby surveytech » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:03 am

Joanne wrote:Hi Walter,

My 8" and 10" ovens are my favorites. When I camp solo or with one other person, they are just the right size. Big iron is good for crowds but not for one or two.

That pot roast sure looks good! It's a great DO meal since you can cook everything in a single oven.

On a side note, yesterday I took a fly fishing class offered by the Nevada Department of Wildlife. It was a lot of fun. I haven't fished since I was little and my dad would take me. He would get frustrated because I would lose all his good lures in the bushes. :roll: I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try to fly fish or not. I love fresh trout. And with the new tear I would like to do some traveling up north. Sounds like a good combination.

Joanne

Joanne,
My first oven was the 10" from Horrible Freight and it seems to work fine but I really really really wanted the Lodge 8" oven. For the 2 of us it seems like its going to be perfect. I bought a Rump Roast at the store and was able to cut it into 3 pieces. So I expect we will be having Pot roast again in the near future. (We love it)

Fly fishing can be a lot of fun. Its kind of addictive, like cooking with Iron.
I love fresh trout too but I'm 600 mile from the nearest trout stream. You might consider fly fishing for panfish. (bluegills). They seem to be everywhere and readily take a fly. And best of all they are a blast to catch! You could use the same set up for bluegills that you would for trout.
Give it a try.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:03 am

Good job!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1