High altitude cooking

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

High altitude cooking

Postby ccdell » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 am

Not a recipe so much as a cooking question. Last time I went camping, I was using a new Coleman stove with the 1lb propane bottle and it was never able to bring the pan of water to a boil. I know the altitude (about 9,000 ft) and the temperature (40 degrees) affects the heat output, but I thought I would at least be able to make coffee :(

How can I get more heat out of the stove? (yes, I did turn it all the way up) :) Should I look for something with a higher BTU rating or ... ??? I need my coffee in the mornings!
ccdell
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:02 pm

The temperature of boiling is higher at altitude so you need more btu's. You might find a stove specific for use in the mountains especially in winter. You might also look for an electric solution to getting your coffee made. I hear the campfire works well also. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby GregB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:37 pm

I know exactly what you mean. I finally bought a Camp Chef Sport Utility stove for high altitude cooking. It works well with 20,000 btu/burner rather than the 10,000 of the Coleman. Ya' need more BTUs.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Boiling point vs. elevation

Postby coreyjhen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:48 pm

Miriam C. wrote:The temperature of boiling is higher at altitude so you need more btu's. You might find a stove specific for use in the mountains especially in winter. You might also look for an electric solution to getting your coffee made. I hear the campfire works well also. ;)

Actually, the boiling point decreases with elevation. The boiling point of water at 9,000 feet is about 194-195ºF instead of the 212ºF of sea level. The most likely explanation for being unable to boil water on this stove is that there is simply not as much oxygen for the fuel to combine with at high elevations (less atmospheric pressure = less oxygen available) and the fuel is not combusting as completely as it would at lower elevations. A 20,000 BTU stove will be affected by the same percentage as a 10,000 BTU stove, but the presence of twice as much fuel in the first place will probably allow you to generate enough heat to boil water. If you want your food to cook all the way through on top of Pike's Peak you may want to consider a pressure cooker.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby ccdell » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:32 pm

Ooops, Sorry about the slow response, or more correctly - thanking you for your responses. I have had limited computer time lately. It looks like I will have to invest in a "better" stove for the tear. I am so looking forward to camping this summer, but I think hot food will be a necessity! Oh well, any excuse to peruse the local Coleman outlet store is a good one. :)

Thanks for the responses. :)
ccdell
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Boiling point vs. elevation

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:43 pm

coreyjhen wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:The temperature of boiling is higher at altitude so you need more btu's. You might find a stove specific for use in the mountains especially in winter. You might also look for an electric solution to getting your coffee made. I hear the campfire works well also. ;)

Actually, the boiling point decreases with elevation. The boiling point of water at 9,000 feet is about 194-195ºF instead of the 212ºF of sea level. The most likely explanation for being unable to boil water on this stove is that there is simply not as much oxygen for the fuel to combine with at high elevations (less atmospheric pressure = less oxygen available) and the fuel is not combusting as completely as it would at lower elevations. A 20,000 BTU stove will be affected by the same percentage as a 10,000 BTU stove, but the presence of twice as much fuel in the first place will probably allow you to generate enough heat to boil water. If you want your food to cook all the way through on top of Pike's Peak you may want to consider a pressure cooker.

:oops: Okk, I guess I overcome my embarrassment and admit to being terminally confused.

Found this:
The boiling point is the temperature at which the pressure of the water vapor equals atmospheric pressure and the bubbles of water vapor are able to break through the surface and escape into the air. If the atmospheric pressure is less, the temperature required for water to boil is less (Table 1). Therefore, cooking food in water boiling at this lower temperature takes longer. A "3-minute egg" will take more time. Also, a bowl of boiling soup is not as hot.

http://cerc.colostate.edu/titles/P41.html

This explains it much better than it was explained to me and certainly much better than I explained it :oops: ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1