Cast Iron Frying Pans from Harbor Freight

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:53 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Hey Jimbo,
When you get 'em home, wipe them down with some cooking oil real good and throw them in the oven for an hour or so around 325F, then let them cool down to room tempurature. That will seal and season them as cast iron is quite porous.
Keep repeating that process for several more times after each use until they turn jet black over time.

I would suggest one additional step. Before wiping them with oil (I like Crisco in the can) Wash (scrub) them well with hot water, soap, and a brush. Most come with a coating of oil or wax that you need to get off before seasoning. Don't put too much oil on the pan - Your smoke alarm will go off :lol: . After seasoning the skillet well NEVER use soap on them again. This will cut the seasoning. Just wash with very hot water and a plastic/natural bristle brush - never use a steel bristle brush. Also just with non-stick chemical stuff use wooden or teflon/plastic spoons. You'll be amazed how easy to clean well seasoned cast iron cookware is. Once cleaned wipe dry and place on the stove to heat it up and get all the moisture off. Store with paper towels between them if you stack them.

Use about a table spoon of Crisco. Wipe the skillet all sides and handle. Turn it upside down in the oven with a pizza pan underneath (next rack below) - so the oil can drip out. I season mine in the grill outside. Keeps the wife happy.

Well, that's far more than I really know about Cast Iron. :?
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joseph » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:14 am

IMHO, modern-made cast iron, especially the cheap crap from China, makes fine canoe anchors but that’s about it. The bottoms of the new stuff, even Lodge, is so rough I can't imagine how you can keep stuff from sticking to it no matter how well seasoned it is. :thumbdown:

My cast iron was all scrounged at flea markets and the bottoms are smooth, well-seasoned and definitely non-stick. My favorite is a Wagner 12" omelet pan (rounded sides rather than the usual nearly-squared ones) followed by a 14” frying pan (no name on the bottom) and a Griswold 14” Dutch oven.

I also have an 18” sheet steel frying pan in case I ever get the urge to cook breakfast for a crowd. That hasn’t happened yet, but if it does, I’m ready... 8)

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Dennis T » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:18 am

Ahh yes Griswold, Wagner are my favorites also. When I find them at the flea markets or yard sales, I usually buy them. Lodge is about the most popular now with Camp Chef. For anyones interest go to www.idos.com and that will give a starting point for beginners :baby: & seasoned pro's. :tipsy: Just used the 12" to make a cherry cobler for brunch with the kids Sunday.

Dennis
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:49 pm

Dennis T wrote: :tipsy: Just used the 12" to make a cherry cobler for brunch with the kids Sunday.

Dennis

Dennis,

What kind of dough do you use in your cobbler?? Just interested. :QM

Geron
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:56 pm

How about sharing that recipe with us? ;)

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Dennis T » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:38 pm

OK here goes. The receipe was in Dutch Oven News Spring 2005
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup butter
2 (16-ounce) cans pitted tart red cherries, undrained. (do not use pie filling)

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add milk and almond extract and stir until smooth. Place butter in 12" dutch oven over 10 coals until melted. Pour batter over melted butter. DO NOT STIR.
Pour cherries over batter. Bake at 350 F with 16 coals on top and 10 on bottom for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm

Credit goes to Fran Neuppert who made it and put it in the newsletter.

We line our oven with aluminum foil because it makes it easier to clean up and get the cobbler out. The next time we make it we are going to put a quarter cup (1/4) of butter in it because my wife felt it was too much butter for our taste.

Hope you enjoy, we did.

Dennis
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Thanks for the recipe

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:21 pm

This one goes into MealMaster and my PDA Cookbook. I'm going to try this one. Thanks.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby purplepickup » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:54 pm

You guys are making me hungry. Biscuits and sorghum and cherry cobbler...mmmm....mmmmm....mmmm! Cooking and eating are two things I love to do.

About the HF frying pans tho, I'll definitely agree with Joseph. I wouldn't waste my money or time trying to get them to cook right. I haven't seen any good cast iron cookware anywhere lately. I get mine from flea markets or garage sales too. You still have to be fussy and look for the real smooth, non porous castings. My favorites are two "Good Health" #8 skillets. I've got one at home and one at the cabin. I think they were make by Griswold in the '30s. In a little bacon grease, eggs will slide around like it's teflon. I bought a couple new cast pans when I stopped at the Cabela's store in Nebraska. They looked good and I seasoned them real well but stuff still sticks to them. I never use them anymore. Just my $.02 worth.

Here's a couple pics of the one I use at home. The inside is real smooth. That roughness on the bottom isn't a bad casting it's just built up crud.

George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:05 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I just emailed a couple and a fellow that sell it, inquiring to see if they UPS it.
(Pete-n-Doreen and Brother Mark)

Here's one of the websites I found.... http://www.guenthersorghumsupply.com/

Pete and Doreen just emailed me back and are going to give me a quote to send me some sorghum Syrup. :thumbsup:

Postby Geron » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:47 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I just emailed a couple and a fellow that sell it, inquiring to see if they UPS it.
(Pete-n-Doreen and Brother Mark)

Here's one of the websites I found.... http://www.guenthersorghumsupply.com/

Pete and Doreen just emailed me back and are going to give me a quote to send me some sorghum Syrup. :thumbsup:

Let us know what you think about it. Like I said - an acquired taste :twisted:
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:39 pm

OK,
Let's see which gets here first...
I ordered my wheels and tires today, I also ordered a half-gallon of Sorghum Syrup from Pete & Doreen.
(Wheels and tires should be here on Saturday)

Postby Ma3tt » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:43 pm

I have a few peices of iron, some are of the Harbor Freight variety others are old. I highly reccommend paying a little extra for the American stuff it will pay off in the long run.

Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Geron » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:18 pm

Ma3tt wrote:I have a few peices of iron,

Did you get all that stuff (Iron) in the back of the TD. Did it raise the tongue off the ground?? :lol: :lol:

I got a bunch of Cast Iron myself. Need to use it more though.

Geron
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:20 am

Just got back from a "hunting" trip to the flea market. Is "Wentzel" a decent brand of iron cookware? I found a 7 piece set in a wood crate - a couple skillets, dutch oven, griddle, and cornbread pans for $40. It is heavy, thick-walled, and pretty smooth finishes inside. Wonder if anyone has heard of and/or used this brand... Thanks, Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby surveytech » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:11 pm

ok it's been a while..........has anyone tried the Horrible Freight pans?

Any feedback?
surveytech
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1