Need help with 14" DO desert recipe

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Need help with 14" DO desert recipe

Postby fornesto » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:12 pm

I just inherited a 14" DO and will be camping with the extended family (about 18 adults) in a week or so. I'd like to cook dessert for everyone one night. I am a total rookie with cast iron and DOs. I think the Drop Cake idea would work well. I will have loads of ollalieberries and thought that fresh berries, ginger ale and white cake mix would work well. Question:

1) What provisions should I make for the larger 14" DO? Do I need to double the recipe?
2) What recipes are suggested? Feel free to walk me through it.
3) How about fresh berries in place of frozen? Do I need to add liquid of some sort?

Any help to avoid disaster, embarrassment, Brother-in-law heckaling, etc. would be appreciated.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Double the recipe for double the pleasure... And tweak it anyway you want.
Doug Hodder is the only person I know that's ever over cooked something in a DO... I don't know how he does it. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Gunswinger » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Fornesto - - Look at the top of the forum and see the tab CAMP-COOK that website has a lot of extra information on it for the cast iron cooks. They have recipes for that very thing you are talking about. As a rule of thumb using charcoal it is two up and two down. For a 14" DO that would be 16 brickets on top and 12 on the bottom. We have used fresh, frozen and canned to make a desert and not much different. However, you do need a little bit of moisture in the DO. Remember, there is a difference when using sugar or splenda in the amount of moisture needed. There are a large number of desert items on that forum. Ask questions there and they will be glad to help. Good Luck. :thumbsup:
Gunswinger
Teardrop Builder

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1