Need a good home for a good frame...

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

Need a good home for a good frame...

Postby 1FATGMC » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:03 pm

I am very close to the point of cutting up the frame of my unfinished teardrop and using the metal in the car I'm making for Bonneville. I just think this is a waste of a really nice custom frame that someone could use.

Since no one seems interested in it with the sides on (see above) I decided to cut them off and sell just the frame that someone could use to build their teardrop on.

With the 15 inch wheels and tires I have lowered the price to $750.00 for the frame, wheels and tires. The 15 inch wheels are the ones that are white in the pictures on my site. Without the wheels/tires I would sell it for $550.00.

I have the axle set-up with spring perches on both the top and bottom of it so that the axle can be mounted above or below the springs. This will change the ride height from a low road only teardrop to a higher off-road teardrop. Also the hubs take normal 5 on 4 1/2 wheels so you have the option of running an almost unlimited selection of either 14 inch or 15 inch wheels.

This frame is very solidly built as I intended to use it off-road behind my Jeep. Most frames are a "ladder" type frame that are the same height and width from front to back with crossmembers. This frame has some features that I really feel set it off from those frames.

Foremost is the fact that the frame drops in the front 6 inches. This has some benifits if you like to setup the teardrop so you can sit inside during bad weather or you like to eat inside at times. Instead of just having a dropped foot well like some people have done you pick up this added depth across the entire front of the trailer. In my case where I like the kitchen counter inside, that counter has more storage. Another plus is that now the side entry door can be made taller which makes entry easier especially if you sit inside.

Instead of just having an interior that is a small sleeping area if your bed folds back you can now sit inside at anytime and have your dirty feet on the floor and make the inside of the teardrop a lot more functional. During rainy weather or just stopping going down the road to eat a sandwich it is nice to sit inside.

Another custom feature of this frame is the well behind the axle under the bed area for your water tank and RV battery. You can see this area in the picture above. This keeps the weight of these heavy items down low, lowering the center of gravity of the trailer.

The frame also juts around the wheels/tires so that the trailer is wide on the inside, but the overall width from tire to tire is as narrow as my Jeep. Setup like this the tires are 1/2 in under the body and 1/2 out of the body. A person could change the axle to a wider one if they wanted the wheels/tires further out.

This is a very well constructed frame that should really hold up for someone and make a great foundation to build their teardrop on.

The frame is 61 3/4 inches in width from the outsides of the frame rails. It is 9 foot and 1 1/2 inches from front to back. The sides of the teardrop shown in the first picture are 9 foot 11 inches from the front of the tear to the back of the tear. The dropped floor in the front is 45 inches long from front to back. Right now it is designed so a piece of 4 X 10 sheeting would cover the sides front to back. If you need any other dimensions let me know.

I could install some lights on the trailer so someone could tow it right home. Like I said at the beginning this could make someone a really nice rolling chassis for their teardrop and for less money than you could get someone to custom make the same thing.

You can see all the pictures I have of this trailer by ( CLICKING HERE ).

You can PM me.

You can write me at:

Sumner Patterson
790 S. Main (78-11)
Blanding, Ut 84511

or call me: (435) 678-3620 (my store number)

c ya, Sum
1FATGMC
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:58 pm

Hey Sum,

Maybe we should take my squared weekender, which no one wants, and your special trailer, which no one wants, and combine the two... hey, mabye if it was a prize for one of our contests...

Okay, on a more serious note, don't cut the trailer up... if no one takes it, talk to me again... how far away from 48362 are you via mapquest?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:05 pm

Oh I just looked...

20: End at BLANDING UT Map

Total Est. Time: 27 hours, 15 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1734.58 miles

That would be a really long weekend... Well, like I said, if no one is interested, let me know... I might make an offer....

Then I'd draw up some plans, and do a 3D whirl (wrl) file, and all of a sudden you'll have orders for several trailers exactly like that!!! LOL

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby 1FATGMC » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:49 am

What if you only had to drive 30-40 miles or had it delivered to your house. If we can, Julie and I are planning a trip to Mich. in Nov. to visit with some friends. They live north of you by Sterling/Au Gres.

We will probably take the '78 Buick and I don't have a hitch on it, but was thinking about putting one on. Actually I was up there a couple years ago with my GMC and teardrop when I last visited them. So this could be a possibility if you are interested.

Draw up your plans, but I wouldn't do anymore at this price. I'd be doing the work for nothing and I already have enough of that kind of work around :wink: .

The other option I just thought of last night was turning it into a trailer to haul 4 wheelers with. There are a ton of them here, so I'm going to look into how much they are paying for trailers and if the dimensions on this one would work out. I could probably convert it in a day or so to that use.

I see a lot of people wanting to build larger teardrops and they don't have the welding tools/skills to make an adaquate frame, so I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this one. I know you can't build one for less. It might be due to the fact that I'm so far from most population centers (fine by me) and they think it would cost to much to pick it up. But on the plus side would be the benifits of traveling to one of the most beautiful and unique areas of the the U.S..

Well stay in touch,

Sum
1FATGMC
Teardrop Builder

Postby 1FATGMC » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:05 pm

This partially completed teardrop is no longer for sale. I sold it to a friend in Mich. who will complete it.

c ya, Sum
1FATGMC
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:59 am

Hey good for you Sum... I can't understand why no one here wanted to buy it... oh well, at least it will continue to live on as a teardrop!!! Tell your friend to take lots of photos...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby 1FATGMC » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:45 pm

I can't understand why no one here wanted to buy it...

To tell you the truth I couldn't figure that out either. It is a well built and better designed frame layout than most can have built just going to a welder. Like my friend said, I've done all the major figuring and all the hard work. I also know with the price of steel right now you couldn't build one for much less. It just needs to be finished.

He is keeping the sides on and is going to also put the kitchen inside. He has seen mine a lot and likes the idea of getting into the trailer with your shoes on and undressing inside and being able to get to the kitchen area all of the time. I've been preaching this concept to no avail, so now I will just keep my mouth shut and everyone can just plod along the same old path.

c ya, Sum
1FATGMC
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:50 pm

Well darn, I guess that means I don't get to have it when you come through for Thanksgiving... :cry: But it sounds like it found a good home.

I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for my next teardrop... Hmm... maybe Andrews Winter design?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to For Sale/Wanted