Help with plans

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

Help with plans

Postby FieroJuice » Sat May 15, 2004 5:03 pm

I own "Wanted Ads"!

(since I'm the 1st poster ever - HA!)

Anyway, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to send me their "used and abused" teardrop patterns/plans/build sheet/supply sheet/ etc., etc., etc. Just whatever they are done with and don't need anymore when it comes to building a teardrop.

I know that I could just buy them off the web or whatever, but why do that if someone is done with their stuff and its going in the trash or on a bookshelf, never to be used again.

I like the "normal" teardrop design, and plan on putting it on a 4x8 trailer like Harbor Freight sells. I do have my own plan in my melon (different guts), so I won't be following any deal exactly, but any help is appreciated.

If I do receive anything, I would pass it on to the next builder who asks once I'm finished. I can email any "givers" with my address.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
BruceJuice
87 silver Fiero GT
www.FieroJuice.com
FieroJuice
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 15, 2004 7:06 pm

Hey Bruce,

My plans, if you want to call it that, are online. You can watch the blow by blow construction of my 4x8. You've probably already seen them...
http://www.mikenchell.com/teardrop/4x8_ ... index.html

Need more ideas... check out Larry's Outback Teardrop
http://www.outbackteardrop.com

You can probably do your whole teardrop for less than $1500.

Here's a price list you can use to plan your teardrop...
http://home.alltel.net/engled/td/cost.html

What more do you need? Dimensions?
They are all here...
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm

Have fun... :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun May 16, 2004 2:32 am

You know, what's interesting about this price list is that there are only 7 items over $100.00. It's amazing how all of the other stuff adds up. It can really nickle and dime you.

mikeschn wrote:You can probably do your whole teardrop for less than $1500.

Here's a price list you can use to plan your teardrop...
http://home.alltel.net/engled/td/cost.html

Mike...

Mike, have you been keeping track of your costs?
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby BufordT » Sun May 16, 2004 5:14 am

I keep track of mine and It cost 2200.00. I think I would agree with Mike on this you could build one for around 1500.00 or less if you look around and don't add a skin.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Re: Help with plans

Postby John B. » Sun May 16, 2004 7:08 am

The problem with selling used plans is that you are taking royalties from the designer. Plans are sold as a license to build one item. It is unethical to sell used plans unless you pay that royalty to the designer. It is the same issue as downloading free music from the web.

FieroJuice wrote:I own "Wanted Ads"!

Anyway, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to send me their "used and abused" teardrop patterns/plans/build sheet/supply sheet/ etc., etc., etc. Just whatever they are done with and don't need anymore when it comes to building a teardrop.

I know that I could just buy them off the web or whatever, but why do that if someone is done with their stuff and its going in the trash or on a bookshelf, never to be used again.

John B.
Teardrop Builder

Re: Help with plans

Postby BufordT » Sun May 16, 2004 7:20 am

John B. wrote:The problem with selling used plans is that you are taking royalties from the designer. Plans are sold as a license to build one item. It is unethical to sell used plans unless you pay that royalty to the designer. It is the same issue as downloading free music from the web.

FieroJuice wrote:I own "Wanted Ads"!

I agree John. There are enough web sites out there that you really don't need plans anymore. All you really need is patterns. You really don't need them as you can print out the one you like and make a grid out of it and trace that onto a sheet of plywood and make you own tear form that design.

With that said. The same could be said for selling used C.D's or pawning them off at a pawn shop.

I have all the pattens out there. I've downloaded all the old plans. Order all the C.D's with trailer plans, etc. Been reading and researching for the past year and 1/2. I've come to the conclusion that all you really need is a set of chassis plans. Design the chassis however you want and build the camper on top.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun May 16, 2004 8:57 pm

mikeschn wrote:
What more do you need? Dimensions?
They are all here...
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm

Mike...

Like Mike says, what more do you need? Andrew's site has all of the information that you need, even down to drawing ellipses. Make sure you spend a lot of time on this site.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby FieroJuice » Thu May 20, 2004 5:36 pm

First off, thanks for the replies. :)

Second, also thanks go out to those of you who did email me offering their help. :D

Now, on to comments made by John B.: :o
I think you misread my post. Nowhere did I say I wanted to buy someone's plans (its even worse, I wanted them for FREE! :P ).

But thank you for informing me about how I would be stealing ("taking royalties" as you stated) and how plans are sold so a person could build just one - what happens if someone did that, then decided to build another one? Do you really think they would buy the plans again (gee, I wonder where you would want them to do that? Perhaps your own website? :roll: Talk about a cheap plug.) Puuhlleezzeee!

Also, thanks for comparing apples to oranges when it comes to "downloading free music from the web." While we are "comparing," have you ever read the sports section of a paper you didn't pay for? I would wager yes. Tell me you paid the newspaper publisher their 50 cents for it? No, you didn't? Hm. Have you ever read a magazine while waiting in the dentist/doctors office? I would again wager yes. Did you pay for that? Where's Times money? Of course you didn't. You ever borrow a DVD from a friend and watch it? Bet you have and you didn't buy it. Where's the studios money? You ever buy anything at a yard sale? I bet you have and that was "unethical," as you put it. See my point yet?

Anyway, I was asking for whatever people didn't want or need anymore. Not so I could produce the plans and sell them. Just so I could make one, then pass it on to the next guy. That's it. If that makes me a thief in your book, so be it. Just don't be so fast to cast stones when you live in a glass house - because I know you have done everything I stated above. We all have. Rant over. :wink:

Now, back to the subject. I'm still looking for the teardrop pattern that someone used and could send me - yea, I know about the websites, but I have computer issues :!: so I would rather just open an envelope.
BruceJuice
87 silver Fiero GT
www.FieroJuice.com
FieroJuice
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lefty Lucy » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:52 am

FieroJuice wrote: ... I was asking for whatever people didn't want or need anymore. ..... Just so I could make one, then pass it on to the next guy.... If that makes me a thief in your book, so be it.
Now, back to the subject. I own "Wanted Ads"!

There are takers and givers in this world. I would not bet you would go through the trouble to pass anything on without something in return.
Lefty Lucy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:02 pm

I have some scans of original magazine articles from the 40s and 50s on my site. Those are really great reference material.
In researching my own trailer I have found that most plans and/or patterns are really just goo dfor reference.
It is not like restoring an old car, where things need to be just so.
Once you have the basics down, you can combine ideas, along with your own vision to make something neat and unique.
I am going to be building a 6x10 (x5 high) trailer based on the old Trailer for Two plans, and some of my own wacky ideas!
Please feel free to grab those pdf docs from my site.

-=Tony=-
www.forgottenclassics.com
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby denverd0n » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:02 pm

"If that makes me a thief in your book, so be it."

It's not just in his book. It's the law. Like speed limits, it is a law that is ignored more than it is observed. Nonetheless, it is the law. Choose to violate it if you will and I won't criticize you for that, but at least be aware that you ARE violating the law.
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Return to For Sale/Wanted