SOLD Custom Built 1947 Cub Modernaire

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

SOLD Custom Built 1947 Cub Modernaire

Postby Gambinor » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:25 am

SOLD
I NEED ROOM! REDUCED TO $6,800 ! TEAR DROP TRAILER
Built from an original 1947 Cub Modernaire Three year reconstruction Completed in 2021

Purchased as an original, non-modified, 1947 Cub Modernaire, built in Los Angeles, CA. The original Cub was an all aluminum shell with little to no interior. When purchased, most of the aluminum shell was rotted / corroded (yes, aluminum does, indeed rot, given many years). The frame (all steel) is original and simply had surface rust. The axle, frame, wheels, and distinctive ‘40s style fenders are original. I saved one side of the Cub to use as a template, to replicate the original silhouette. The completed trailer is 12' long with the entire shell being 10' long. It is 5'7" tall and is 6', 6" wide fender to fender.

The axle and frame were stripped, down to bare metal and widened from 4’ to 5’ to accommodate a queen bed.
From there, the frame was fortified with additional welded spars for strength. A new, modern, 2” ball tongue was attached. 7 pin, round tow vehicle connection with cover. The frame was undercoated.

5/8ths inch plywood was used for the flooring, sealed and painted. All plywood interior and exterior walls were fabricated with ¼” and 1/8th inch quality “finished” plywood and 1 x 2” & 2x2” stringers. All wood bonds were completed with Aliphatic Resin glue (Titebond II) and brad nailed. Foam insulation was used between all interior and exterior walls. Interior is upholstered with felt “automotive trunk” type material.

The trailer is wired for 120-volt shore power, which charges the on-board 12-volt, deep cycle battery and supplies 120-volt power to the cabin and galley outlets. Dual 120v outlets, with USB sockets, and 12-volt accessory sockets in both interior cabin and galley. Volt, amp and watt meter mounted inside galley. All 12-volt circuits are fused. All exposed wiring is labeled (120 & 12 volt). Exterior shore power connection and 120-volt external socket for powering 120-volt lights, appliances, etc mounted on right outside wall.

All lights are LED. Dome light and both porch lights are on wall switches. Two reading lights / night lights, dimmable, above the front of the bed. Galley lid lights (blue, white, or both) are switched on the cabinet. 12-volt vent and fan on roof.

The cabin has cabinets at both the front and rear for clothes and essentials. The galley has lower “cubbies” and large cabinets for kitchen items, etc. Two access panels on the galley tabletop give access to a very large storage area and all electrical components / wiring and battery.
The bed is a queen size 8” tri foam mattress. The mattress can be moved forward or rearward by about 14” to allow for personal preference. In the present, rearmost position, it allows for an approx. 14” upholstered futon cushion (removable), across the width of the bed, to be used as an additional pillow for reading, etc. If removed, it adds additional space for storage (shoes, jackets, etc.).

The galley and both doors are lockable (all keyed alike). Doors can be locked from the inside as well. Magnetic door stays for keeping the doors open in a breeze. There are two, simple, full size velcroed screens that can be used for very warm temperature camping, leaving the doors open. I also fabricated an awning that can be used on either side of the trailer.

The shell was sealed, then painted with high quality enamel. The enamel was then sealed with a clear coat. Unfortunately, the clear coat I was sold was not compatible with the paint (it was more like shellac) and in two years the paint has fine cracks in very few areas and has been touched up. I would recommend that the new owner has the trailer repainted and sealed properly. About a 3-day job; one light sanding, one masking doors, handles, etc, and one painting and clear coating. Also gives the new owner an opportunity to match the color to the tow vehicle, as I did.

The trailer is titled (new title as there was no original and no frame ID). No plate or registration required for an Oregon built tent trailer. It is now fully titled and IDed.

I am NOT a computer nerd. I'm just an old school, old guy. IF I did this correctly, there are many pictures at this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/t/LXmaustBGV1UShWk

$8,500 or best offer
Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Gambinor on Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gambinor
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Custom Built 1947 Cub Modernaire

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:39 pm

very nice!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: LOWERED PRICE Need to move! Custom Built 1947 Cub Modern

Postby ejtnttt » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:21 pm

Do you still have this? The image link doesn't work. Also, do you know the weight?

thanks!
ejtnttt
Teardrop Inspector

Return to For Sale/Wanted