How cold inside?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: How cold inside?

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:28 am

PKCSPT wrote:I've camped to around zero. Mine has carpeted walls and a 100lb fur heater. But I tend to winter camp in state parks with electricity so I bring my little heater too.

I have a 350 watt electric for parks, this was a boondocking trip, so that wasn't an option.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:09 pm

Socal Tom wrote:Blankets on the walls is a good easy way to semi-insulate a uninsulated trailer. One could get a little more creative with a form-fiting quilt and some velcro or snaps.
And it could be removable when not needed.
Kenneth W
That's what I intend to do, once I figure out the best option for me.
Tom[/quote]
:thumbsup: Good idea. That's what settlers used to do in those drafty cabins. Quilts work great. When I used to tent camp in cold weather, I would lay a blanket on top of the tent, between the tent and the rain fly and even that helped.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 am

Another idea occurred to me last night. I was warm in my sleeping bag during the trip, but my face and head got cold. To try and keep my head warm without tucking into the bag, I tried covering myself with a sheet. What if I attached a sheet to the bottom of my cabinets on the foot end, and then to the bottom of my headboard shelf? It would make a tent in the TD. Do you think that would reduce the volume I heated enough to make a difference?
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:11 am

Wear a stocking hat in the sleeping bag--it helps. Face? I just put a blanket a few inches from my face and it helps keep my heat close to me.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:52 am

I have a small heater for the cold nights. After 7 shivarees I have learned to mount a fan blowing upward to remove the stratified hot air from the ceiling. The heater does a great job but 100 degrees at the ceiling and 40 at bed height just doesn't get it. With the heater doing its job and the fan washing the hot air off the ceiling and back down the walls it is quite comfortable.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

How cold inside?

Postby GerryS » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:12 am

What does that do for the sudden cloudbursts? (Ie condensation). I'm thinking more and more of hitting the shiveree this year....I need a change in life's rhythm!!! May even head out Friday.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:36 am

If you are referring to the Lexan roof and the lack of insulation, where the heat isn't concentrated, frost forms, and I get a little "snow" but I have never had dripping condensation. I think you will find that 2 nights at 13 hours of darkness is a bit like being locked in a cell ( not from personal experience) Two night are a bit brutal with darkness falling at 5 something and the sun not up till 8 AM.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm

Ive only cold weather camped once....and it wasn't cold....only about 25. But with no space heater it did start to rain. Little ceramic heaters help that, but humidity still builds up. I'm still not sure if I'll try the shiveree, the LONG night would be a big problem for me for the exact reasons you mention.

More on that in the thread specific to that gathering....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:32 am

GerryS wrote:Ive only cold weather camped once....and it wasn't cold....only about 25. But with no space heater it did start to rain. Little ceramic heaters help that, but humidity still builds up. I'm still not sure if I'll try the shiveree, the LONG night would be a big problem for me for the exact reasons you mention.

More on that in the thread specific to that gathering....

I used to winter camp. That was a long time ago. Crosscountry ski trips. I recall a week long excursion centered around a snow cave over Christmas vacation. 5pm is too early to crawl in the sleeping bag.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:52 am

Yeah, but those hard core few in the Hoosier chapter do this once a year....and I'm feeling a bad case of cabin fever!

I've got TV, my Bible, and my Rosary. A little time with forced quiet might not be a bad thig if I can find a toilet and a fire ring with some wood to burn while I enjoy a tall glass of single malt or barley soda.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:29 am

I did a little research, it appears one person gives off about 350 BTUs per hour. Based on some calculators I found on line a decently built /insulated TD needs about 1800 BTU to Maintain a 30F difference inside vs outside. I couldn't find a calculator that let me enter my insulation factors, but 3/4 ply is R1' and one inch of poly foam is R6( I'm using that for the memory foam estimate) so two people should be able to maintain about 10 degrees warmer in a tightly built TD.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:51 am

Well back to work on Monday after our annual Shivaree.

Thank God for blue foam insulation :thumbsup:

Here is a shot after I installed floating panels in my little 4x7 teardrop.

I found some soft cloth and wrapped and back taped a 1" foam panel that was cut to fit the wall. It simply friction fits the profile and makes a world of difference !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion