Gravel Guard / Filon Protective Sheet??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Gravel Guard / Filon Protective Sheet??

Postby Capebuild » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:43 pm

Hello... I'm asking if members have any thoughts / experience they can share using a black peel and stick gravel guard? I've noticed a number of "produced" trailers use a black material on the lower portion of the cabin which I assume is a protective layer against gravel and other road hazards. I'm thinking what they use is high density polyethylene sheet that is integral with the wood siding. Since I didn't have the foresight to design my sidewalls like that, I'm wondering how well these peel and stick products work, as an alternative. I'm thinking of covering the first 7 or so inches over the aluminum siding with the peel and stick. I also had a thought of, instead, using a 7 inch sheet of black filon over the wood siding (7 inches from the bottom of the cabin) and then overlapping the aluminum siding over the filon 2 inches, or so.

Any thoughts about all this would be welcome and sharing any experience with using either the filon (as mentioned) or the peel and stick product.

Thanks!!

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Gravel Guard / Filon Protective Sheet??

Postby John61CT » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:05 pm

"Diamond Plate" in thin aluminum is not expensive, and I reckon would look better as it gets beat up

and less messy to replace if needed.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:59 pm

It's not ringing a bell. Which manufacturer is using it?

I can tell you this, the front of a teardrop gets hammered.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:36 pm

I don't think of Filon as being great for impact resistance. It will protect your wood, but it may get beat up. I know the peel and stick stuff you reference - it's a plastic and will protect from most impacts. No experience with it other than it was on a friends utility trailer.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:54 pm

The amount of damage is probably relative to the type of tow vehicle (clearance height) and road surface (paved versus off-road). If you tow with a car and stay on paved surfaces, you won't have a lot of rock dings.

We towed our teardrop with an F150 pickup but stayed on paved roads. The teardrop had minor dings on the front corners but the fronts of the painted fiberglass fenders starting getting significant paint chips. I covered the front of the fenders with "helicopter tape", a clear automotive protective film, made by 3M. This ended all of the paint chips. The "helicopter tape" was designed to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades. The only issues with it are narrow widths and cost. I thought it was worth it, though.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby MickinOz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:45 pm

Commercial caravans over here had some sort of thick plastic sheet at the front for may years presumably as rock protection.
Always managed to look crap after a couple years.
My son gave me a sheet of ~1mm stainless steel. I think that will be my stone guard.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:00 pm

If you tow with a car and stay on paved surfaces, you won't have a lot of rock dings.

I'm sure you're correct.

But we're off-the-beaten path 'droppers. :thumbs-up: Note the "mud" flaps.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:07 pm

aggie79 wrote:The amount of damage is probably relative to the type of tow vehicle (clearance height) and road surface (paved versus off-road). If you tow with a car and stay on paved surfaces, you won't have a lot of rock dings.

You're probably correct about this, Tom. I'm just not sure where our travels will take us... could be on some roads that are a bit rocky.

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone use this product (as in photo)? Any experiences with it you can share (using it as a rock guard on trailer's sides while traveling rough terrain.
Attachments
gravel guard.jpg
gravel guard.jpg (252.5 KiB) Viewed 351 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Aluminum perhaps?

Postby noseoil » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:44 am

We used some of the scrap aluminum diamond plate, similar to what Tony did on his for trim & impact. Filon is weak for impact stuff & will pock-mark too easily. Aluminum will take the hit & laugh it off over time.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:17 pm

aggie79 wrote:The amount of damage is probably relative to the type of tow vehicle (clearance height) and road surface (paved versus off-road). If you tow with a car and stay on paved surfaces, you won't have a lot of rock dings.

True, the tow vehicle will save the teardrop from the worst of it.

I was driving my Jeep on a paved road yesterday, minding my own business, when a small meteor came crashing in, simultaneous with a car passing by

168122 168121

Pretty sure it was just a stone. Around here, if someone carries a handgun, it's large enough to penetrate a windshield.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:15 pm

John, I use that peel and stick rhino liner looking sheeting over the aluminum on the extreme left and right front next to the tongue box.
I also fabricated a rock guard that has custom sewn black shade cloth attached to an aluminum frame which is removable.
Also I have mud flaps on all 4 wheels and dig out any rocks I may see in the tow vehicles tires.
Since the fenders are chromed steel I blue tape thin foam on them on long trips.
See example in my signature photos.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby lfhoward » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:53 pm

If you are towing with a lifted vehicle with aggressive tires, something like these will cut down on the flying boulders.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:28 pm

lfhoward wrote:something like these will cut down on the flying boulders

Damn, I knew my Subaru was missing something. Those Rock Tamers will look awesome on my Outback. Thanks for posting. :lol:

Thanks again, all, for the follow up. I'm still just thinking about applying the peel and stick product...and whether or not it will make a difference.
I realize it may not only be stones kicking up from my vehicle but it's also from the 16 wheelers that are whizzing by me.
Maybe I should learn to drive faster.

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:59 pm

I had the exact same Rock Tamers and got tired of them, :thumbdown: sold them to a friend who has a vintage trailer.
They didn’t benefit my situation at all.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby lfhoward » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:01 am

That’s interesting, Danny. Did you find they didn’t stop stones from smacking your trailer? I will admit they are a hassle to put on and take off. I only use them for long trips and if I know I’ll be on dirt roads. I find they don’t stop everything but they do cut down on the worst of it.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion