Gravel Guard / Filon Protective Sheet??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Gravel Guard / Filon Protective Sheet??

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:33 am

lfhoward wrote:That’s interesting, Danny. Did you find they didn’t stop stones from smacking your trailer? I will admit they are a hassle to put on and take off. I only use them for long trips and if I know I’ll be on dirt roads. I find they don’t stop everything but they do cut down on the worst of it.

Yes everything you said.
Too bulky, a hassle to store when not in use, ugly, heavy, and I had to cut them down since they were like knuckle draggers on my 55 Chevy. I didn’t see any benefits in keeping them so I sold them at a loss.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: Gravel Guard / Filon Protective Sheet??

Postby gudmund » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:20 pm

168112 my "home-made" version of Rock-Tamers can be seen here 'hanging down' under my back bumper in this photo. Each of them, just slide on/off when needed. They are scrap left over from an old PU 'rubber' bed-mat pad I had cut/shortened in length. There is a 'PU bed width/length' piece of 1x1 steel square tube, 'hose-clamped' in place -horizontally- on top of my frame mounted tow hitch. The 2 'scrap' 12x14 rubber piece's are attached to 'each of their own' 14in long 1-1/2 steel square tubes that just slides 'off/on' and are held to the 'PU-hitch mounted 1x1 tube' with a 'removal steel pin' at each end.......And yes, they look a bit 'homemade-ish' -but- they work great!!!! (1st trip with them = Painted Hills, Ore. '15 - after a few miles of gravel road, I just happened to look into the rear-view mirror = I was shocked at how much 'rock-gravel' I was seeing being knocked 'downward/to the side' away from the trailer by them - and have been using them ever since......= very little to NO rock/chip damage being left on either of the trailers I have owned so far - fenders and trailer front still looking GOOD.................) :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion