roof question for new build

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

roof question for new build

Postby dado5 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:51 am

I am thinking about building a new tiny trailer/teardrop. I have built many trailers over the years, mainly with metal frames. I would like to be able to support a roof top tent on this trailer. Would a wooden teardrop built with 3/4" plywood walls be able to support a rtt (prob. 3-400 lbs. with kids in it)? Or would I need to build a metal frame and then skin it? I was hoping to use wood since it would be quicker build(plus all my other trailers have been with metal and I would like to try something different.
dado5
Teardrop Inspector

Re: roof question for new build

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:40 am

dado5 wrote:I am thinking about building a new tiny trailer/teardrop. I have built many trailers over the years, mainly with metal frames. I would like to be able to support a roof top tent on this trailer. Would a wooden teardrop built with 3/4" plywood walls be able to support a rtt (prob. 3-400 lbs. with kids in it)? Or would I need to build a metal frame and then skin it? I was hoping to use wood since it would be quicker build(plus all my other trailers have been with metal and I would like to try something different.

It would work fine as long as the rack brackets were on the walls.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion