Pop Rivet Guns, opinions, uses, do's or don'ts

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Pop Rivet Guns, opinions, uses, do's or don'ts

Postby Modstock » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:01 pm

We call em "jack nuts" .
The coated ones sometimes gets in the threads.
I recommend hand threading those in and just using a nut driver tighten the bolt. A ratchet would be too much and they will start to spin.
Use silicone to weather proof it.
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:06 pm

If your van has drip rails you can get crossbars to mount a rack.
Me, I'd avoid any holes in the roof just for leaks sake.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:36 pm

Modstock wrote:Me, I'd avoid any holes in the roof just for leaks sake.

\
I don't disagree.
But if OP finds it unavoidable then I reckon I'd go with the nutserts, mostly because the attached ironmongery is removable/relocatable without drilling out pop rivets, and also the rivnut spreads the load a little better.

1/4 pop rivet = 1/4 hole

1/4 rivnut = 25/64 hole. I think it'd be a little harder to pull out a 1/4 rivnut.

On my son's 2021 Renault van, there was no choice. Roof racks bars are secured with 6mm bolts into threaded holes. The pre-installed threaded holes are in recessed grooves that run the length of the roof, just in case there isn't enough rainwater and you have to channel some toward the holes. :roll:
Fortunately the Rhino Racks came with gaskets/
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:03 pm

Modstock wrote:If your van has drip rails you can get crossbars to mount a rack.
Me, I'd avoid any holes in the roof just for leaks sake.

Modstock, Drip rails would have made this easier. Not on this one. jack-nuts, riv-nut are going to be the best way for my install.. and I'll be able to add a couple extras to help with the mounting strength.

MickinOz wrote:
Modstock wrote:Me, I'd avoid any holes in the roof just for leaks sake.

\
I don't disagree.
But if OP finds it unavoidable then I reckon I'd go with the nutserts, mostly because the attached ironmongery is removable/relocatable without drilling out pop rivets, and also the rivnut spreads the load a little better.

1/4 pop rivet = 1/4 hole

1/4 rivnut = 25/64 hole. I think it'd be a little harder to pull out a 1/4 rivnut.

On my son's 2021 Renault van, there was no choice. Roof racks bars are secured with 6mm bolts into threaded holes. The pre-installed threaded holes are in recessed grooves that run the length of the roof, just in case there isn't enough rainwater and you have to channel some toward the holes. :roll:

Mick, sealing won't be a problem either, with 1/6" rubber gasket and silicone available. And don't ya know, there are 4 threaded holes on the top of the van. Just not close to where I need the darn things. I thought of buying the rack for the van. But with only 4 threaded holes for a 6 hole mounting rack for the van. :roll: Don't figure ?? :thinking:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:19 pm

Mate, car manufacturers leave me scratching my head at times, eh?
for example, Renault sell a ceiling mounted ladder rack for my son's $50,000 van.
Seemed like a good idea to be able to at least lock one ladder inside. So he bought one.
$200 for something we could have fabricated in half an hour, once we saw what was involved.
There are holes in the ceiling "reinforcing ribs" where the mounts line up, but no threads and no access for nuts to go between the rib and the roof sheet metal. This install is currently awaiting a rivnut kit.

Go figure. Do they ever use their products in the real world do you think?
Those preinstalled threads for roof rack crossbars?
They aren't in-line vertically.
You have to install spacers to the front crossbar, to get all three crossbars the same height so your $2000 ladder racks lay flat.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:31 pm

MickinOz wrote:Mate, car manufacturers leave me scratching my head at times, eh?
for example, Renault sell a ceiling mounted ladder rack for my son's $50,000 van.
Seemed like a good idea to be able to at least lock one ladder inside. So he bought one.
$200 for something we could have fabricated in half an hour, once we saw what was involved.
There are holes in the ceiling "reinforcing ribs" where the mounts line up, but no threads and no access for nuts to go between the rib and the roof sheet metal. This install is currently awaiting a rivnut kit.

Go figure. Do they ever use their products in the real world do you think?
Those preinstalled threads for roof rack crossbars?
They aren't in-line vertically.
You have to install spacers to the front crossbar, to get all three crossbars the same height so your $2000 ladder racks lay flat.

Exactly mick, they don't try anything. Looks like some blueprints I've seen for houses and buildings. "Looks good on paper. so you should be able to build it". Duh??
I'm pretty sure at this point, buy the riv-nut kit and a good pop rivet set. And make my own rack out of some aluminum. A friend has an old aluminum extension ladder that took a dive off the front of a pickup rack. I think I can salvage enough good aluminum out of it and custom make a rack.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:43 pm

MickinOz wrote:Mate, car manufacturers leave me scratching my head at times, eh?
for example, Renault ...

I owned a Renault Alliance for a few years in the 80's.

My theory is that France graduates enough good automotive engineers each year to support one car company. Renault is not that company.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Philip » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:43 am

The pic of the nutsert gun you posted. I think that gun is a little lite weight. The gun Modstock posted is the style I have. I bought my gun in the middle 80's. The handles fit the hands very good. Those straight handles might not feel good in use. If you have any wrist issues those handles will let you know pretty fast.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:53 pm

Philip wrote:The pic of the nutsert gun you posted. I think that gun is a little lite weight. The gun Modstock posted is the style I have. I bought my gun in the middle 80's. The handles fit the hands very good. Those straight handles might not feel good in use. If you have any wrist issues those handles will let you know pretty fast.

Philip, My old pop rivet had the same gun setup with the straight handles. Tried it yesterday with a 1/4" rivet, that type gun not happening. Have no strength in my right hand. Have no strength to use a T-50 stapler anymore, and my wrist are shot, had to buy an air stapler. Sucks getting older. :roll:
So will go with the other style tool. Similar to the one in the link below. It should do everything I want to, and last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic- ... r_hp_atf_m
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:51 pm

... had to buy an air stapler. Sucks getting older. :roll:
... Similar to the one in the link below.
... [/quote]

i use it for an excuse to buy more tools ;-)

just picked up a 220v compressor that provides 10.2 CFM @ 90PSI for just this reason

small consolation but consolation never the less

sw

btw ... let us know how it works
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:02 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
Philip wrote:The pic of the nutsert gun you posted. I think that gun is a little lite weight. The gun Modstock posted is the style I have. I bought my gun in the middle 80's. The handles fit the hands very good. Those straight handles might not feel good in use. If you have any wrist issues those handles will let you know pretty fast.

Philip, My old pop rivet had the same gun setup with the straight handles. Tried it yesterday with a 1/4" rivet, that type gun not happening. Have no strength in my right hand. Have no strength to use a T-50 stapler anymore, and my wrist are shot, had to buy an air stapler. Sucks getting older. :roll:
So will go with the other style tool. Similar to the one in the link below. It should do everything I want to, and last a long time.

That is the style I'd buy. Not depending on strength in your hands and wrists to do the work.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:18 pm

MickinOz wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:

That is the style I'd buy. Not depending on strength in your hands and wrists to do the work.

This style set ordered and on the way.. :applause:

I'll let everyone know how it works.. looking forward to getting it, get this rack worked and the panel on. ;)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Pop Rivet Guns, opinions, uses, do's or don'ts

Postby Indiana Rambler » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:03 pm

https://www.mcmaster.com/#95585A600

For what it’s worth, I’ve used these for years. I’ve found the big pliers like you purchased to be quite cumbersome. The River gun style are easy on the hands, plus they come with several different easy changeable mandrels. When you decide to install the riv-nuts, I would suggest you use some sort of glue just around the outside of the body of it before inserting into the surface you are going to place it. Once you squeeze the rivnut, the glue should help keep it in place for a long time. I’ve had these come loose a few years later (spinning in the piece it’s installed) only to cut the bolt out, drill out the old riv nut, and install a new one with some type of glue! I usually use hysol 9460 epoxy. If you use glue, I’d advise using copper slip on the install tool to help keep the threads cleaned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:10 pm

Indiana Rambler wrote:https://www.mcmaster.com/#95585A600

For what it’s worth, I’ve used these for years. I’ve found the big pliers like you purchased to be quite cumbersome. The River gun style are easy on the hands, plus they come with several different easy changeable mandrels. When you decide to install the riv-nuts, I would suggest you use some sort of glue just around the outside of the body of it before inserting into the surface you are going to place it. Once you squeeze the rivnut, the glue should help keep it in place for a long time. I’ve had these come loose a few years later (spinning in the piece it’s installed) only to cut the bolt out, drill out the old riv nut, and install a new one with some type of glue! I usually use hysol 9460 epoxy. If you use glue, I’d advise using copper slip on the install tool to help keep the threads cleaned out.

Rambler, any and all information helps here. You're the second person that has suggested the epoxy. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Haven't been able to work on it yet. Weather ahs been a little unpredictable, right here in February. Been a roller coaster for us old folks here in Texas.
Like this week, 81 on yesterday. Then today, spitting ice mixed with drizzle and right now 25 degrees, feels like 14.. Makes me feel like I'm living back up in your area.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion