Suggestions for Nesting Cookware

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Suggestions for Nesting Cookware

Postby Capebuild » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:56 am

Can anyone suggest a nesting cookware set they have and they're happy with? We saw one that had 3 pots, lid(s) and collapsable, foldable or detachable handles but was kind of pricey. But the nesting feature is desirable. Anything anyone is happy with they can recommend for us to look at?

Thanks very much.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Suggestions for Nesting Cookware

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:51 pm

Sorry, don't have a set myself, but an amazon search pulls up many options. GSI is a brand I've heard people brag about before. FWIW, I use a set of Martha Stewart stainless steel stuff I got at K-mart(?), in about 1995. I hate cooking on that paper thin stuff that they use for most cookware sets. and with SS, I can scrub the heck out of it with no worries. Teflon stuff gets damaged too quickly in my hands.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:18 pm

I had looked at a set at REI. It was aluminum and the material was so thin it was very unappealing. I'd like something a little heavier. Stainless is probably good. it's tough to make a judgement call just looking at something on a web site. And not so interested in Teflon. So just asking for any sets somebody might be happy with. Thanks for your thoughts, SocialTom.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:30 pm

I got this as a cheap alternative to Magma:
Stansport- Stainless Steel Clad Cook Set
They have heavy enough bottoms that food doesn't immediately burn like it does with backpacking cookware. I bought a used set for $50 or so.

Magma is what the marine crowd uses. They're pretty nice but a lot more spendy.
Magma Nesting Cookware

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:08 pm

just make sure when buying 'Stainless' to buy 'GOOD' stainless!! most of the 'China' made stainless is not that good, yet the 'India' made stuff isn't that bad. Most of the company's making the stuff never give you the ##' for it's medal content = they just claim it's "Stainless" and being most people think stainless won't rust will find out later it will, if it is 'cheap' stainless. If it does says what the ##'s are, they should be something like '18/10' or a 304 # (don't remember what these ##'s mean except for the 18 has something to do with it's nickel content which GOOD stainless will have more of. But for me, something I was shown when working for Boeing Aircraft years ago by an inspector, checking in part shipment's (original 747's were using 'SS' hydraulic tubing until the 747-400 changed over to Titanium tubing like the 767 used) was the 'magnet' - when I asked why he was using it? = he stated that 'GOOD' 'Stainless' is -NOT- magnetic and that is what I have used ever since (thus finding that most of the 'Chinese' Stainless I have checked as being magnetic and the 'India' made stuff as being Non-magnetic and have had very good results using it.) PS have found a lot of 'SS' nut's, bolts & screws to be magnetic = which I stay away from when buying them for the trailer..............I also, when seeing SS items that are 'rusting', I have checked them with a magnetic and so far, they have all ended up being 'magnetic' ................ this has always so far 'worked' for me.. and yes, when going to the hardware store I usually have a "magnet" with me.................PS the 'GSI and MSR' branded cook-ware I have bought for camping has always = 'GOOD' 'SS'...... so far over the years .... :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:33 pm

I’ve been really happy with our nested stainless Stanley cookset from REI.

Stanley Even-Heat Camp Pro Cookset
https://www.rei.com/product/161619

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:29 pm

Whatever cook set you choose, don't forget to get a spurtle to go with it. I just discovered these and they are the best cooking tool! A spatula, spoon and mixer all in one.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/what-is-spurtle-how-to-cook-with-it-article
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:31 pm

gudmund wrote:just make sure when buying 'Stainless' to buy 'GOOD' stainless!! most of the 'China' made stainless is not that good, yet the 'India' made stuff isn't that bad. Most of the company's making the stuff never give you the ##' for it's medal content = they just claim it's "Stainless" and being most people think stainless won't rust will find out later it will, if it is 'cheap' stainless. If it does says what the ##'s are, they should be something like '18/10' or a 304 # (don't remember what these ##'s mean except for the 18 has something to do with it's nickel content which GOOD stainless will have more of. But for me, something I was shown when working for Boeing Aircraft years ago by an inspector, checking in part shipment's (original 747's were using 'SS' hydraulic tubing until the 747-400 changed over to Titanium tubing like the 767 used) was the 'magnet' - when I asked why he was using it? = he stated that 'GOOD' 'Stainless' is -NOT- magnetic and that is what I have used ever since (thus finding that most of the 'Chinese' Stainless I have checked as being magnetic and the 'India' made stuff as being Non-magnetic and have had very good results using it.) PS have found a lot of 'SS' nut's, bolts & screws to be magnetic = which I stay away from when buying them for the trailer..............I also, when seeing SS items that are 'rusting', I have checked them with a magnetic and so far, they have all ended up being 'magnetic' ................ this has always so far 'worked' for me.. and yes, when going to the hardware store I usually have a "magnet" with me.................PS the 'GSI and MSR' branded cook-ware I have bought for camping has always = 'GOOD' 'SS'...... so far over the years .... :thumbsup:

I deal with this is the construction industry. If we are spec'd to use SS we have verify the quality. I call the cheap SS Chinese stainless because more times then not SS from China has enough nickel in it to call it SS but not enough to inhibit rust, it's also magnetic where as good SS is not.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby steve cowan » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:14 am

Bought a Camco 10 piece stainless steel set several years ago. Great quality and very satisfied with it.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:21 pm

i'll 2nd the vote for the Stanley stuff

goto backpackers & hikers forums and search them for the latest n greatest

IMHO steer clear of the Titanium stuff if you really want to do more than boil water

the Ti stuff is ultra thin and gets hot spots rather than evenly heating the bottom of the pans

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby mountainminded » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:36 pm

I’ve used an older version of the MSR Alpine 2-piece stainless cook set on two sea kayak expeditions (daily use for more than 10-months total) and it shows no sign of wearing out soon. It’s a bit heavy for backpacking and when my teardrop was built it made sense to move it into the trailer. It’s on the minimalist end of the spectrum as cook sets go with only one stepped lid and no attached handles but it is more affordable than many and stows nicely on a small shelf in my galley. I immediately discarded the pot gripper that came with it and have always used a tiny, 4.5” channellock or crescent brand pliers as the gripper. This does double duty as a real pliers in the kit.

Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:12 pm

I bought new cookware for my home and put my old copper clad stainless Revere Ware cookware to use in my trailer. Other people have done that too. You can often find Revere Ware on EBay or in thrift stores. I use the fry pan and Dutch oven and they nest together and the lid for one fits both. Does the handle from the frying pan stick out a bit? Yes, but that's the perfect place for the lid and a cooking apron to share the space with. The Dutch oven is good for heating enough water for a nice sponge bath (hot water transferred into a collapsible bucket) as well as for cooking. (I also was gifted with a 1 quart-ish collapsible silicone pot that I use a lot but it has yet to stand the test of time.) My small tea kettle is also Revere Ware and it nests inside the big pot and stays there nicely. Stainless steel is my favorite. It's tried and true, low in weight, and lasts for years. My set is around 40 years old and still cooking. Even if it gets scratched and banged up, it still does its job just fine.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:33 pm

When Shelly and I were dating and planning our first tent camping trip together, I described the aluminum patrol "cook kits" (as opposed to the individual "mess kits") we had in Boy Scouts in the mid-70's. A few weeks later she found one at a garage sale, and we've since built space for it in our galley.

Has a big stock pot with frying pan/lid. Middle size frying pan. Middle size pot with lid. Several handles for the frying pans. Small pot with lid. Four brown plastic cups with measuring calibrations. Four aluminum plates. We added two bowls from mess kits from the same era. (One was from my actual mess kit.)

We use the middle size pot and large pot for dish washing: Heat water in the large one, pour some into the middle one and add soap. That ones for wash, larger one for rinse. Works great in the Northeast where we have plenty of water.

We never use the aluminum frying pans, for reasons obvious to anyone who's tried. We carry a cast iron skillet for those tasks.

We don't carry the handles.

The lids for the smaller pots should not be put on tight. Too difficult to get them off when hot!

There were two models made (can't remember the company that made these--but I can find out if desired); the ones we had in Boy Scouts had coffee pots instead of one of the pots.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using aluminum. For me, an advantage is the nostalgia. For some reason we never found new cookware that has quite the same utility.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Indiana Rambler » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:33 pm

I too vote for the Stanley cookware. We have that set and purchased a different set of utensils (just to have some extra). The frying pan I wish were a little bit bigger, but, to have a nesting set bigger takes up a bit more space. So for the wife and kids when they come, it’s just about right. As for the price , it’s sImage
ignificantly cheaper at the hardware store than REI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:48 pm

Another recommendation for SS, copper bottom if you can get it.

Just an anecdote: I used to do a lot of wilderness camping and my buddy had an aluminum set he brought along. I had the stove with brought the propane fuel. One year we took my copper bottom cookware with the same stove. We used less than half the fuel we normally used. Bottom line, the extra weight of the copper bottom SS cookware was more than offset by the weight savings from having to bring less propane.

Old Revere copper bottom SS is great for camping.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion